Sand of time effect

Community Forums/Showcase/Sand of time effect

Filax(Posted 2004) [#1]
A little rendering glow effect like 'sand of time' :)

Try interactive demo :
http://www.blitz3dfr.com/click/clic.php?url=http://www.blitz3dfr.com/mes_projets/egypt.zip

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#2]
... sooo cooool.

how'd ya do that, the new stuff, right :)

--Mike

poopla(Posted 2004) [#3]
Lemme look then I'll explain ;).

poopla(Posted 2004) [#4]
Another bloom filter ^_^.

napole0n(Posted 2004) [#5]
Very nice. A lot faster than the last Bloom Filter I've seen around here too (the one with the spinning car)

Warren(Posted 2004) [#6]
It looks to me like he's sampling the frame buffer, creating a low res texture from the samples and drawing that low res texture over top of everything else while applying alpha to it.

Am I close?

ThE_oMiKrOn_CaT(Posted 2004) [#7]
like glow effect, i dont seem to be able to get the blur to work though, probably just me being stupid lol

Ricky Smith(Posted 2004) [#8]
Hey Filax - is this going to be a game or is it just another pretty demo ?

Warren(Posted 2004) [#9]
Seriously, is what I'm thinking correct? Or am I way off base?

poopla(Posted 2004) [#10]
He's sampling the frontbuffer yeah, but applying it to a sprite over the screen. You can do whatever ya want to the texture on the sprite, giving you somewhat of a shader control. Blur, saturation, etc etc.

Thats why it looks pixelated on the overlay.

poopla(Posted 2004) [#11]
Filax did you turn the res of the texture on your version way up for that screen? Or did scaling the screenshot down smooth things out?

Filax(Posted 2004) [#12]
no for the screenshot i have activated my nvidia antialias.
screenshot taken in 800/600.

Warren(Posted 2004) [#13]
Shattered

Cool, OK. I thought so. :) Thanks!

poopla(Posted 2004) [#14]
Yeah, np :). It's what we've done in our engine, soon to be hinted about publicly ;).

Jim Teeuwen(Posted 2004) [#15]
that looks pretty decent!
Even runs decently on my old rig.

CyBeRGoth(Posted 2004) [#16]
Here is another way to do bloom effects :)

http://www.blitzcoder.com/cgi-bin/showcase/showcase_showentry.pl?id=naama02262004175141&comments=no

Kanati(Posted 2004) [#17]
very nice

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#18]
you people never cease to amaze

darklordz(Posted 2004) [#19]
Damn Blurreed vision and dude this is the best and i mean the best ive seen in blitz. I think it would be a very cool gesture if ud share the code....

and as rus says *amazed*

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#20]
FILAX!!!!

I just ran the latest Egypt demo... man, there were times walking around in there that i felt that i was really back there wondering around in one of the temples...

no, really...

this is CLEAN man... kudos to you big time.

and, don't tell us how you did it... at least not just yet...

let everyone awe at the wonder of it all... for a lil while...

after all, the gods didn't let man have the secret to fire for quite a while after he showed them its wonder...

make a game outta this and really get em going before you give em out the secret... :)

and... Thanks for the demo.

--Mike

Filax(Posted 2004) [#21]
Lol :) what do you smoke Red Ocktober ?? i want to ! :)

For CyBeRGoth (John McCubbin) :

I have download your link code, and i use similar method
(there no secret) and I think that this method is faster than mine, I will test...

www.blitzcoder.com/cgi-bin/showcase/showcase_showentry.pl?id=naama02262004175141&comments=no

Download this great ! peace of code !

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#22]
... just high on life baby!!!!

... here, have a toke :)

seriously though, that is really great looking stuff you've got there...

--Mike

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#23]
I realise this is just a demo of the blur and glow effect, but I noticed that you can jump up walls, and if you jump up the base of them, you can then walk up pillars.

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2004) [#24]
I guess that motion blur code I posted a few months back helped some people out with this stuff eh? Before that I didn't see anyone using sprites in that manner and I only wrote it because no one else had posted any such code and no one could offer any advice about it either.

That stuff looks awesome though combined with the tight artwork! Good job!

CyBeRGoth(Posted 2004) [#25]
Yup BAN300 but thats the whole point of posting code, people learn from it and use it in new and interesting ways like the above demo (which is cool btw, brilliant lighting)

N(Posted 2004) [#26]
Neat...

Filax(Posted 2004) [#27]
sorry :) but its not a motion blur ! because the glow effect is not affected by camera moving.

Red(Posted 2004) [#28]
it's just a color effect...colored multi-layer

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2004) [#29]
Yeah, I just meant using the sprites like that. I'm happy to see the ideas branch off and form new leaves. That's what I think is so awesome about the indie community (I use its resources plenty to do everything)!

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#30]
I don't know when you posted your code for the motion blur, but Antony Wells posted his code to achieve lots of effects using sprites like that sometime last June/July when he was working on State of the Art.

I haven't got my old PC up and running at the moment, but his code was very fast on a GF2MX, even if he didn't have a scene as purdy as Filax has to show it off. I'm not sure if I still have the code to see what he was doing that made it so fast.

Genexi2(Posted 2004) [#31]
You sure know how to make Prince of Persia look bad....I mean, HOLY CRAP!, if only the dream sequences in the Max Payne games had such a beautiful effect in them....

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#32]
Where are the people?

darklordz(Posted 2004) [#33]
spotted a problem... the people would get bloomed as well as the entire env...

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#34]
Not if you hid them during the blur render, assuming that 'bloomed' somehow means 'blurred', or something related to that.

CyBeRGoth(Posted 2004) [#35]
Everything is supposed to have the bloom effect applied to it, people included.

You see it in prince of persia and other newer games such as the suffering and deus ex 2

Bright areas of an object appear to have halos surrounding them, good for glowing effects or just a general dreamy feel to games.

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#36]
"Supposed to"?

Anthony Flack(Posted 2004) [#37]
Sure. Why would people be any different than pillars?

The only thing that bugs me about this demo is the waddly walk. Not only is it annoying; but it's unrealistic - people simply do not throw their heads around like that when they walk. Unless this is some kind of "Humpty Dumpty goes to Egypt" thing.

Sorry to pick on a minor point in an otherwise very nifty looking demo.

DJWoodgate(Posted 2004) [#38]
LOL. I expect he spent hours perfecting that waddly walk, only for you to come along Mr Flack and compare it to Humpty Dumpty. Its obviously the way mummies walk, haven't you seen the old films ;) Anyway Filax, great level, great FX, bloomin lovely.

darklordz(Posted 2004) [#39]
10x for clearin that up

poopla(Posted 2004) [#40]
Everything is supposed to have the bloom effect applied to it, people included.

Uh.. our engine has selective bloom filtering, as well as radial and linear blur. Are we breaking some laws? ;)

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#41]
In a game like Unreal, I would probably not apply the effect to characters, because you want them to be really visible.

RetroBooster(Posted 2004) [#42]
Obviously these effects don't have to be on everything, which is why shattered and myself are currently supporting any number of selective post processing passes on a camera view... Need For Speed Underground is an example of stuff like this... (although it's a motion blur there), You'll se that each object is blurred based on it's speed diffrence with your car, which means your car isn't blurred at all and cars that are near your speed aren't either.

MadJack(Posted 2004) [#43]
Check these screenies out - they appear to have used a bloom fx particularly on the sky, but I think it might include the ground as well.

http://www.ferrago.com/image/3170/13

Does seem to enhance the realism

CyBeRGoth(Posted 2004) [#44]
Are we breaking some laws? ;)

Yeah! Stop it!!

:P

Foppy(Posted 2004) [#45]
Really smooth movement and sharp graphics, fantastic. I may have missed it somewhere but are you making a game out of this? Hmmm, perhaps a silly question...