TreeD

Community Forums/Showcase/TreeD

fredborg(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hi,

It's out and it's FREE!
Get tree[d] right here!
It has a few bugs, but nothing important...

Old piccy:

Rob(Posted 2004) [#2]
very nice

fredborg(Posted 2004) [#3]
Updated again

Edit: And again :)

Edit: And again, now with animation :)

Beaker(Posted 2004) [#4]
Could be useful (once it has save).

SabataRH(Posted 2004) [#5]
Very nice! I just can't get enough of this kinda stuff.. :)
Well done fredborg.

Rob(Posted 2004) [#6]
SpeedTree has the best I've seen/used and if I had to make trees I'd probably copy their approach.

c5ven(Posted 2004) [#7]
out of curiousity, are you including environmental effects in the growth algorithm?

electronin(Posted 2004) [#8]
Very cool! if you're using meshes, check out these code entries:

http://www.blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=866
http://www.blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=819

They probably can't save animated meshes though :(

fredborg(Posted 2004) [#9]
csven: What do you mean by environmental effects?

I'll add saving sometime soon...Probably just to the .gls file format, so you can use it with gile[s] :)

c5ven(Posted 2004) [#10]
thinking anomalies like hail damage or some other parameter that might cause an unusual change in the geometry. something more drastic that gives a tree character. you could maybe even include something like "plague"... assuming insects have a particular kind of effect on a tree (esp on a particular section of a tree).

fredborg(Posted 2004) [#11]
No, those kind of things aren't included. There are a couple of parameters that are preset, but the rest is done solely by the ones shown on the screen.

It would be cool to add stuff like 'plague' or 'mis-growth' though :)

maximo(Posted 2004) [#12]
Am I missing something here, Sabata has already great tree system on the way, what is special with this ;) and Rob Sabata has already duplicated what speedTree has done ;)

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#13]
Is Sabata the TreeMagik guy? Because I really don't like the trees that tool creates. Not that I know if this tool is better; I haven't tried it yet. But I certainly don't consider Sabata's work the be-all end-all of low-pol tree creation. It's pretty good, and the best (only?) tool of its kind available for Blitz right now, but I can certainly imagine someone producing something better.

Adding save to .gls would make this useful for adding trees to levels. Do get around to that as soon as possible.

fredborg(Posted 2004) [#14]
This is certainly very different from TreeMagik, as it creates the trees purely mathematically. It doesn't use premade models of any kind, and therefore allows for infinite variation. Having said that, it's very simple and cannot create every kind of tree.

jhocking: I'll get around to that once the gile[s] update is done :)

c5ven(Posted 2004) [#15]
but we want it to create every kind of tree ;)

"Study your math, kids. Key to the universe!" (or something like that)

maximo(Posted 2004) [#16]
jHock Sabata is working on mindblowin new system, haven't you seen the threads he posted, they have screenshots of some of the best trees ever made for games, not even all the best games out there have systems like he has produced, very fast and good looking.

Ricky Smith(Posted 2004) [#17]
@Maximo - so what - the more the merrier. Some people may prefer an alternative. Choice is good. I like the idea of creating trees using pure maths rather than using premade models.

c5ven(Posted 2004) [#18]
gee, since id and Valve are working on mindblowin new system and they have screenshots of some of the best games ever made, guess anyone interested in a FPS should just give up.

*yawn*

Tranz(Posted 2004) [#19]
"guess anyone interested in a FPS should just give up"

That would have saved us from a boat load of bad games over the last 10 years.

Warren(Posted 2004) [#20]

Everyone bitches about FPS games yet, at the same time, Halo's Phobos engine and Project Plasma are hailed as golden projects.

*boggle*

c5ven(Posted 2004) [#21]

and cars and airplanes and computers and printers and monitors and speakers and scanners and ...

Tranz(Posted 2004) [#22]
Crappy First Person Shooters led to all that!! wow

c5ven(Posted 2004) [#23]
unfortunate people can't comment on the efforts of others without either making unproductive observations or showering the world with the grace of their brilliant wit.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#24]
"..Probably just to the .gls file format, so you can use it with gile[s] :) "

For those who don't plan to buy godgiven trees - check out the code archives "forest" demo containing nice looking lowpoly random tree generation. :P

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#25]
Maximo, do you have a link to Sabata's new system? I think I have seen it and was underwhelmed, but I'd like to make sure I'm thinking of the same thing you are.

fredborg(Posted 2004) [#26]
jfk: You don't have to buy anything, you can just write a loader for .gls files :) The tree generator will be free.

The gls file format specs are available from the gile[s] website.

fredborg(Posted 2004) [#27]
Updated!

Now with a simple interface, and more parameters to play around with. Download in top post!

wmaass(Posted 2004) [#28]
Totally cool! I suppose gile[s] users would be able to export the tree?

fredborg(Posted 2004) [#29]
Of course

wmaass(Posted 2004) [#30]
What about animation support in blitz? Would you supply a function for that?

fredborg(Posted 2004) [#31]
It's very simple :) It just rotates the tree trunk and branches slightly each frame. It would be simple to add to the b3d parser, so why not!

fredborg(Posted 2004) [#32]
Updated...You can now choose different textures and stuff!

RifRaf(Posted 2004) [#33]
very cool,was thinking of buying another system for trees later on but this one is just as good .. and free???

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#34]
Then, how about to add B3D Export to export single trees as .B3D Meshes?

Personally I'd prefere an export of some Blitz Code, this way the trees can be generated at runtime and added together to "forest patches" with 10 or 20 trees for maximum speed.

However, looks very nice. This new Tree looks even better, although I wonder how you solve the z-order issue with this alphaed leaf texture.

Skitchy(Posted 2004) [#35]
Are you going to release the source? I could add b3d and x export, and others could undoubtedly do some cool stuff to the core mesh creation functions :)

fredborg(Posted 2004) [#36]
It will only be able to export as .gls, nothing else, so you have to either:

1: Buy gile[s] :)
2: Write a .gls loader for Blitz

Each leaf cluster is a seperate entity, that's why there isn't any z fighting.

The source will not be released.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#37]
So how's the polycount of the tree on the image?

fredborg(Posted 2004) [#38]
~300 triangles

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#39]
Personaly I think that's too much for games and realtime rendering, unless you have only a few trees in the scene. For a rich outdoor vegetation it seems to be too much.

I came away from seperate limb meshes or even leaf meshes. ATM I use a rombus thingy (2 tris) for each limb and 5 Tris for the chunk. I cannot do every kind of tree this way, but some variants are looking pretty good and the polycount is around 30. So I am able to add 10 or so trees together to one mesh and then they share the same 2 surfaces.

Psionic(Posted 2004) [#40]
Great program Fredborg! Keep it up m8!!

Kornflex(Posted 2004) [#41]
Great and nice work Fredborg! Keep it up !

Regards,

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#42]
Latest download doesn't work. It says "unable to create 3D scene." Note that the download yesterday did work (looked great, by the way.) Please get saving implemented as soon as possible.

I can see how jfk's suggestion of exporting code would be useful, but I definitely want to export the trees as meshes. That way I can place them in my levels and include tree shadows in my lightmaps.

fredborg(Posted 2004) [#43]
The 'Unable to create 3D scene' sounds strange. Did you have something else running at the same time?

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#44]
Nope. I would assume it was attempting to initialize a resolution my hardware doesn't support except, like I said, the download yesterday worked great. Did you change the graphics mode?

fredborg(Posted 2004) [#45]
No, the graphics mode is the same, if the one you had before had an interface and not just text input.

It uses the same system as gile[s], and I assume that works for you?

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#46]
The one I saw before had just text, no interface.

But this is a non-issue after all. I didn't realize the computer I tried it on was different than the one yesterday. I'd been assuming that all the computers in this computer lab are identical, and in fact they aren't. I'm running the new download right now fine; this machine has an Nvidia QuadroFX while the download didn't work on a computer with a 3DLabs Wildcat, and I'm pretty sure Wildcats don't support DirectX 7. So no worries on your end.

Oh, and the new interface is very slick. I wanna save!

Psionic(Posted 2004) [#47]
Heh heh I was thinking that, bring on the "save"

Kornflex(Posted 2004) [#48]
Where it's the Save option ? :-D

Regards,

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#49]
great Fred... gls format is fine :)

you are indeed the man...

ok, at the very least, one of the men... and they aren't that many left :)

looking forward to this freebeee... and thanks

--Mike

Beaker(Posted 2004) [#50]
It's tree-mendous.

fredborg(Posted 2004) [#51]
It's out! Have fun!

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#52]
this is pretty darn cool, thanks :)

darklordz(Posted 2004) [#53]
l like ur style ...

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#54]
Woohoo! Thanks man!

D_Town_Tony(Posted 2004) [#55]
I just bought gile[s] just because of tree[d] so Fredborg, as soon as you get the notice(mine is the email ccsyugo@...) send me the number, I'm excited to started lightmapping!!!!!!

fredborg(Posted 2004) [#56]
I have sent it to you some hours ago, send me an email if you haven't gotten it yet!