Anime Bowling Babes

Community Forums/Showcase/Anime Bowling Babes

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#1]
< At the risk of annoying those who may be thinking "Oh god, not again" :) >

This is VERY early stuff, so no character shadows and no reflections yet. Either or both is possible, but I'm not particularly keen on the way either looked at first, so I'm leaving them out until I have more of the game sorted.

It's got about 2 weeks work in it so far, including graphics, animation, textures and code. It's playable, but there are still lots of unpolished aspects. I plan to release a very, very early ( and incomplete ) beta version in the next couple of weeks to get some feedback on how people find the physics and controls before progressing any further. There's no computer AI at all at the moment, that won't happen until I'm entirely happy with the Physics and to a lesser extent the controls.

Haven't decided if the beta will be open or closed, lemme know if you're interested anyway.

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#2]
hey thats nice man , good luck with it

big10p(Posted 2004) [#3]
Thats looking nice. Can we get a behind shot of her bowling in that mini skirt? :P

Knotz(Posted 2004) [#4]
Nice, beautifull colors

GfK(Posted 2004) [#5]
Will you be able to move and throw the ball at the same time? ;)

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#6]
I didn't think you were allowed to wear shoes like that in a bowling alley.

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#7]
I didn't think you were allowed to wear shoes like that in a bowling alley.

You're not. Fortunately my bowling alley is virtual, hence scratchproof.

Will you be able to move and throw the ball at the same time? ;)

Throwing the ball? Damn, I knew I forgot something. :(

Thats looking nice. Can we get a behind shot of her bowling in that mini skirt? :P

Sorry, I forgot to give her any undies ;) And until I rerig her to take advantage of vertex weights, those verts on the back of her skirt are going somewhere very painful. Thanks to Mark's latest update, that should be fixed before a final release. She animates pretty well as it is ( still using the rig Ruz did for me at the moment ) but it would looks better with a "softskin" rig, I think.

Warren(Posted 2004) [#8]

So lonely.

googlemesilly(Posted 2004) [#9]
the sequel is here ! :)

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2004) [#10]
Sweet! I'll test it when you're ready ;)

big10p(Posted 2004) [#11]

So lonely.

lol. You said it! :)

po(Posted 2004) [#12]
Looks good! How do you do all that in 2 weeks? I can't even make a game of 2D oong in 2 weeks! :)

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#13]
I don't do anything else. I've had no time off for anything in the past two weeks. I don't sleep much. Tomorrow is the first time off I will have had, when I got to watch Pompey beat Arsenal in the FA Cup ;)

I'm pretty much at a standstill with this now until I get some feedback, so I may just upload the current build on Sunday and see what you all think of it.

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#14]
shame I haven't been able to test any of your games so far. I wll hook up my broadband to my main pc so i can test it out.
I did dl atb demo but could n't get it to run with my wifes crappy vid card.

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#15]
Yeah, the menus on ATB had some problems with Intel and SIS chipsets, among others. If that was the problem, and if you got a recent version of the demo, there is a file called debug.ini. Open that file in nopepad and you should see the line

ONBOARD 0

Change it to

ONBOARD 1

And it will use a backup menu system, which is not pretty, but should work on those chipsets that didn't like something I'm doing in the menu system. The rest of the game proved to be ok with Intel and SIS onboards. If it's something else, I'm not sure.

I would have uploaded the current build of ABB by now, but I've been waiting for the hosting I paid for to arrive, and I've started rewriting a lot of things in the meantime, so I may delay the beta now.

That plus I have some new ideas to try for reflections and shadows, and now Ultimate Unwrap won't read UV Channel 2, so I updated to 2.15 and now Unwrap is unregistered and the old registration isn't working.

Remember that thread you started about frustrations at days spent getting nowhere, Ruz? Well as you can see, I get them ;)

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#16]
stil no joy, but not to worry I will have go on my other pc this week, there are quite few demos I am wanting to try out also.

Anthony Flack(Posted 2004) [#17]
Hang on a minute! Are you planning to remake all GFK's games with "anime" and "babes" in the title, or what? Should we expect "Anime Truck Racing Babes" next?

Hansie(Posted 2004) [#18]
I want an "up-skirt" feature!

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#19]
Hang on a minute! Are you planning to remake all GFK's games with "anime" and "babes" in the title, or what? Should we expect "Anime Truck Racing Babes" next?

Damn, now you've spoiled the surprise everyone would have exhibited when I release Anime Arkanoid Babes ;)

Technically speaking, I began ATB before GFK had mentioned publicly anything about a tennis game, and I think it was released first too. Must have been one of those precognitive remakes ;)

I want an "up-skirt" feature!

I'm sensing a pattern emerging...

GfK(Posted 2004) [#20]
Hang on a minute! Are you planning to remake all GFK's games with "anime" and "babes" in the title, or what?
I would have thought 'Anime Double Top Babes' or even, dare I mention the more risque 'Anime Hole in One Babes' would be top of the agenda. ;)

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#21]
Personal matters and non-gaming work has stopped me doing any real coding this week, so I've only had time to do a little work on the environments ( and rewriting the code to load them )

Here's a montage of screenshots from the two new alleys :

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#22]
Nice enviroments :) Me like :D

Rob(Posted 2004) [#23]
I hated anime tennis babes and it made me think this game would suck also. But I really like the interesting construction yard level you have there.

It's original, and I like stuff like that... might have to take a look after all.

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#24]
While I certainly didn't hate ATB, I feel you're risking putting all the emphasis on graphics again Gab, seeing how much you've done already media wise.
Just do one arena, one bowl, and perfect the gameplay. Then worry about the frills. ;)

But that aside, it's looking really nice. I've said it once today, and I'm going to say it again. Bouncey breasts please? (Cough)

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#25]
Just do one arena, one bowl, and perfect the gameplay. Then worry about the frills. ;)

Yep, yep. I originally planned to do just this. That's why I was planning on releasing the beta version so early. But that was when I was planning on making all the alleys essentially the same as far as gameplay is concerned. I've since decided to make the alleys play different as well as look different, which means I can't tweak the controls and physics until I've got all the arenas completed. Obviously I don't need to go overboard with tweaks and little touches, and there certainly won't be anything animated in any of the arenas until the gameplay is sorted, but I do need the basic alley constructions to be complete before I do anything more on the physics and controls.

I'm actually pretty happy with the physics and controls, but I was really happy with the controls in ATB too, and that certainly met with some mixed reactions. I've had it playing over and over on the original alley, and I can hit a few strikes and a lot of spares, so I think the controls are easy enough to get to grips with. I've never actually been bowling IRL so I don't know whether the physics are what people will expect or not. Hopefully it won't be too difficult to tweak those to fit with what people expect. I'm keen to make this game much easier to get into than ATB, since even those who liked it found it difficult to play at first.

At the moment, I have the three arenas you see above, plus two more I'm working on. Then I have five "crazy bowling" alleys, which are just the standard alley twisted, bent, bumped, etc out of shape. I'll probably do another five crazy alleys without gutters to allow for a little more variety. The five standard alleys will be the main focus of the game, as "crazy bowling" is likely to be a bit of an acquired taste, but it'll be a little something extra and a change from all those blessed bowling games that just make a bunch of alleys which are all exactly the same except for the graphics ( Megaware 3d Bowling springs to mind. )

slenkar(Posted 2004) [#26]
"I've never actually been bowling IRL"

interesting,

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#27]
If by interesting you mean "what kind of idiot makes a game about a sport he's never played?" then you kind of have a point ;) It just seemed like it ought to be a fun game to play on the PC, and I didn't like any of the ones I could find online, so I thought I'd have a go at making my own.

Another screenshot, this is the fourth evironment, just finished lightmapping it now. It's a deserted nighttime carpark. The gutters are slightly shallower and more curved, it might even be possible to get the ball back out of the gutters. There are also two drain covers in the alley which cause the ball to jump and can also make it change direction if it catches them at the right point.

I've now got one more major environment to do before I go back to the coding and upload some kind of playable code. I haven't decided what the fifth environment might be yet. I did have a plan, but I've gone off of it, so it could be anything. I think it'll be inside this time, I already have a day and a night scene outdoors.

[edit]And yes, I know the realtime lights don't match the lightmap lights. I'm using the same light setup for all alleys at the moment, because I haven't written the light setup code yet.[/edit]

slenkar(Posted 2004) [#28]
how far away from a bowling alley do you live? go ooonnnn might as well have a game, its fun!

How old are you? I only ask because most people have bowled before,

you could have an ice bowling alley where the friction is reduced or a high friction stone alley,

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#29]
A long way away.

I'm 30.

The ice alley was my first thought, which I've now thought better of. I've put it down as my spare choice though, so if i decided to add another alley, it might well be an ice alley.