forest functions

Community Forums/Showcase/forest functions

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#1]

I add this to the Code archives. It containes the pretty fast grass we have alsready seen some time ago, plus a function to create very fast trees / forest patches, and kinda experimental volumetric fog FX.

http://www.melog.ch/dl/forest.zip

Maybe you need to use an other skybox if you do not own the darkmatter CD. Feel free to use all other media provided with this release in your projects, Freeware or commercial.

Matty(Posted 2004) [#2]
Looks good, I am downloading it now.

Sterling(Posted 2004) [#3]
Thankyou so very muuuuuuuuuuuch!!!!

sigi(Posted 2004) [#4]
Thank you for this.
It looks really good and is very fast.

Agamer(Posted 2004) [#5]
Looks great going to be so useful

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#6]
Thank you very much Mr President!

mrtricks(Posted 2004) [#7]
Downloading now. I tried a grass system and although it worked, it really killed performance. Looking forward to trying this.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#8]
>>Thank you very much Mr President! <<

abb... :)

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#9]
:D

Kozmi(Posted 2004) [#10]
Hmmmm... This is very Dam Good indeed!!!

However though... I made a forest function that works
just as good as your's too jfk. But hey! Thank's a million...

darklordz(Posted 2004) [#11]
Hey G i like the effect where you overlay a real grass texture in front of the cam and the way it's smooth from a distance... The grass movement looks nice but it's still static and so are the trees... Is that because of no-animations or could that also be hardcoded.?

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#12]
I guess it would be possible somehow to animate the Vertices of the Leaf-quads. Each forest patch uses 2 Surfaces: chunk and leaf. Now parse the leaf Tris and animate (using some sin/cos stuff) the Vertices with the highest Y Position. This should work with this kind of Limbs. I agree, the grass is looking kinda static since it is using Quads and they look very flat on the ground. They also look not so good because I used to set the texture flag to masked, not alpha. This was neccessary because there is the pseudo-volumetric fog in use, which is using alpha too, and the alpha-sorted Grass unfortunately was messed up by that Effect, so I had to use masked Grass instead (but at least this allows to skip realtime z-sorting correcture of alpha grass (tm by MasterBeaker)).

Of course you can remove that "myfog" Effect, it will be faster. Personally I thought it looks very nice, that fog floating some meters over the ground.