tecno track

Community Forums/Showcase/tecno track

CodeD(Posted 2004) [#1]
Here ya go, this is a techno like song track I just posted on my site, It's original as well as some vocals which are mine.
You can use it in commercial and non-commercial stuff, just please ask first (email: flamecoaster@...) and give credit, it is copyrighted! Thanks.
Oh yeah, and tell me what you think.

http://sites.gwala.net/tormented/transmission2.mp3

CodeD(Posted 2004) [#2]
yep

Kuron(Posted 2004) [#3]
Sounds good. Not doing games anymore and do not have a use for this in a game, but saving it for "listening purposes".

Shambler(Posted 2004) [#4]
Nice, howowow did you dododoooo the echoes?

CodeD(Posted 2004) [#5]
I exported the different loop sequences and put it all together in Magix Music Maker, which bascially lets you drag and drop your samples/files, and it also lets you add basic effects like echo onto a loop.

Magix music maker is crappy as an actual music maker but, it's drag/drop/cut/splice/etc. interface makes it a decent arranger.

Voyetra used to be good for editing waves, I used to use that back in the win 95 days, I don't know what they've got now though.

GfK(Posted 2004) [#6]
Oh yeah, and tell me what you think.
OK.

Hate to be the first to say it, but that's absolutely horrid. It never gets going, the drum loop was first used in about 1983 and has been used a million times a year ever since, and it just doesn't hang together at all.

There's more to composing than adding random (pessimists might say 'out of tune') beeps all over the place and sticking in a few off-the-shelf effects.

Kuron(Posted 2004) [#7]
I don't think he was claiming to have written a Sonata.

GfK(Posted 2004) [#8]
I don't think he was claiming to have written a Sonata.
He said "tell me what you think".

That's what I think.

Tom(Posted 2004) [#9]
http://somafm.com/groovesalad.pls

:)

Kuron(Posted 2004) [#10]
@TOM F'N A! Thanks for the link dude.

darklordz(Posted 2004) [#11]
Well ive been known for my constructive critisism :P but i have to agree with GFK on this and not only because i usualy give non-constructive critisism, but because even tough im a "hindu monkey" i have been so my share of hard house / trance fests (dance valley/thunderdome/mysteryland etc...) And to put it bluntly. *shakes head...* It's the same beat all over and over and over and over. Very monotoned. No climax or decceleration this is something that could be used in brainwash vids....Andeeh they might have been techno samples but this isnt techno...

CodeD(Posted 2004) [#12]
Yeah, I know it's repetitive. But, it's not like something I'm going to turn into a masterpiece someday. I spent like a half hour on it so if you think you can crank out better stuff well, then...you can crank out better stuff.

Yeah, one of my distinguished probs in some of my stuff, is I make pretty good intros but, sometimes i don't know where to take it.

S'all good.

Oh, P.S. GFK, those 'random beeps' are called a TS-404 synthesizer wiseguy!!

;0

Nebula(Posted 2004) [#13]
Spending a half hour and getting this result is ok I guess. If you spew out 2 new track every hour then you will have something to work with.

I've been reserving hours for assigning volumes to notes alone and its still not enough.

CodeD(Posted 2004) [#14]
@DarkLordz,
These weren't stock techno samples,
I made this stuff note by note on synth, it didn't come from a sample collection.

Let's hear some of your stuff?...

GfK(Posted 2004) [#15]
@DarkLordz,
These weren't stock techno samples,
I made this stuff note by note on synth, it didn't come from a sample collection.

Let's hear some of your stuff?...
Perhaps you should take this to a music forum, if you're going to get all arsey and challenge people to do better when they don't partake in the apparently pre-requisite back-slapping that goes on all too often around here? Also, just because people "can't do any better", doesn't make their opinion of it any less valid.

If you don't want opinions, don't ask "what do you think?". Simple. You know what I think (and Darklordz). I'm not going to offer a new 'opinion' about it just because you don't happen to agree with what I've already said.

Like I said - if you think you're some sort of musical God, go to a music forum and see how this 'tune' compares to the other freely available stuff out there, which, I hasten to add, much of which is of an infinitely higher standard.

"I only spent ten minutes on it" and "its free" is no excuse. Its either good, or it isn't.

CodeD(Posted 2004) [#16]
GFK,
Let me direct you to this line,

'if you think you can crank out better stuff well, then...you can crank out better stuff.'

I was just pointing out to DLZ that I didn't use stock samples or something. I made crappy ones up all by myself!

Numnuts,
;)

Kuron(Posted 2004) [#17]
CodeD: Ignore GFK. If you have noticed he never has anything nice to say about anything anybody else does. Don't feed the troll.

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#18]
Don't see why he should be ignored because he gave an opinion which wasn't the thing that was wanting to be heard.

Contructive critism helps people out massively. Often if you spend a bit of time on something, you can't see or hear what might be wrong with it, or stopping it being better.

Took me 4 days to get my tune for my space shooter working. Ain't exactly top notch, but it does.

About your tune, it's a bit too repetive :)

Keeping trying tho :D Do you have any other stuff i could hear?

CodeD(Posted 2004) [#19]
Yeah, I've got other stuff I'll just have to dig it up from my cd archive.

Warren(Posted 2004) [#20]
Don't see why he should be ignored because he gave an opinion which wasn't the thing that was wanting to be heard.

I agree. He didn't like it and gave you reasons as to why. Deal with it. You asked for feedback and you got it.

mearrin69(Posted 2004) [#21]
I tend to agree with the consensus, but...

Hate to be the first to say it, but that's absolutely horrid.

...isn't exactly the way polite people deliver constructive criticism regardless of the crappiness of the subject under review.

I'm not sure I'd react well to an opening like that. I'm not sure GFK would react well to being told that his textures in his tennis game kind of suck...and that highly saturated textures are so late 90s.

Pixelation has as its overriding rule, "Don't be an ass". Be nice if we had something like that around here.
M

Nebula(Posted 2004) [#22]
If a musician says it is horrid it means something and can he can translate it to logic. If a coder of graphician or else says it, it means its not his music and it just means there was nothing to recognize the music with. There's that whole area of expertice to take into account.

I would be perfectly satisfied with a comment like it sucks from a non musician. If the music written was for that target audiance then it is a valid opinion.
Even good music sucks if you don't like the genre.

CodeD(Posted 2004) [#23]
lol,
I can take a hit, i know it's not everyone's cup of tea and I noted some of the faults with it in some of my above posts.
But, yes 'constructive' critics are appreciated.
But, i would go for repetitive melody as opposed to 'random beeps' which sounds like a reference to an internal pc speaker, which is a world beyond a ts-404 synth.

Kuron(Posted 2004) [#24]
If the music written was for that target audiance then it is a valid opinion.

This is the problem. Music is NOT something you do for a target audience. Music, like all forms of art, is an "expression" and is something that should be shared, but not critiqued. Music is an art form and something you do because you love the "art" itself. What others think of it doesn't matter. Critiquing music is just as big of a waste of time as critiquing poety or classic literature. Trying to second guess what the artist "means" accomplishes nothing. Its a shame people cannot learn to appreciate all forms of art for what they are. Unfortunately the world is filled with a lot of untalented, jealous people who exist simply to criticize the hard work of others when they see them achieving things they cannot. Criticizing the art of others is the only way these folks can feel good about themselves.

Example: Earlier this week I wrote and released a song I wrote for my daughter Sariah Renae who died in '98 and has been on my mind a lot more than usual. So far I have only shared it with close friends on an email group of writers. Although I have received a lot of positive comments and I appreciate them, the opinions really mean nothing to me. I like the song and it conveys what I intend it to, and I simply was sharing a part of myself with some friends. I could care less if others like it or not. As long as I like it is all that matters. ;c)

Nebula(Posted 2004) [#25]
I absolutely hate modern arts. For instance the misformed bronze shapes are disgusting. I do think some artist are in it just becourse their parents gave them the chance to go to the school. I do respect persons emotions expressed in any artform as long as its not for a quick buck. Like a lot of rich brats do just becourse they are educated 'artists'

People want quality and cant be expected to listen/see something that just is not good from people they do not know.

GfK(Posted 2004) [#26]
I'm not sure GFK would react well to being told that his textures in his tennis game kind of suck
I wouldn't give a toss, to be honest. Because A) The comments various people made about the textures were acted upon, B) Only two people here have seen the game running and therefore they would be the only two people who's opinions I would value, and C) I didn't make the textures anyway - Psionic did. :)
Music, like all forms of art, is an "expression" and is something that should be shared, but not critiqued.
So you're saying we should not offer an opinion even when invited to do so by the composer?

I see...

If I'd said his tune was cool, would you still be telling me to shut the hell up? I doubt it. So don't give me any of that 'palm-of-hand-on-forehead' artiste bullcrap. He asked for an opinion, got one, and he didn't like it. That's the crux of the matter here.
Critiquing music is just as big of a waste of time as critiquing poety or classic literature. Trying to second guess what the artist "means" accomplishes nothing.
Eh? I don't care what he "means"! I just don't like the song. Why is this so difficult to understand?

If you only want to have a back-slap-a-thon with everybody else here, then please say so at the time of posting. I can slap you on the back and tell you your music is great if that's what you want, but what would be the point? It won't be true.
Yeah, I've got other stuff I'll just have to dig it up from my cd archive.
Fine - post away. Just because I don't like this song, doesn't mean I'll automatically write off everything else you ever do.

CodeD(Posted 2004) [#27]
Uh...alright. But, I didn't really intend to turn this thread into a heated debate, either for those defending or offending, or defending their offending, or offending the defending of the offending, they're defending.
At any rate, uh...let's move on with our lives shall we?
There is some great flame wars going on, in the darkbasic, 3dgs threads!!

GfK(Posted 2004) [#28]
At any rate, uh...let's move on with our lives shall we?
Agreed. :)

CodeD(Posted 2004) [#29]
;)

Pepsi(Posted 2004) [#30]
:)

Kuron(Posted 2004) [#31]
;c)

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#32]
:o