Idea for all the free offereings

Community Forums/Showcase/Idea for all the free offereings

Shambler(Posted 2004) [#1]
I was thinking maybe we should put a restriction of use for all the free textures/models people have been posting that says you can only legally use them in Blitz Basic.

Since certain other languages covet their media like this I think it would be a good idea if we did the same.

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#2]
Well not to ruin a good idea before it's begun, but I've already posted about my ship model on the DB Pro forums, PolyCount and Dexterity. A few people have already said they plan to use them too. I'll probably post on the 3dRad forum later if I can remember my login.

I see your point, and I agree that communities do tend to covet their media, and they do act like this is some kind of turf war.

But I feel that the only way to get other communities to ditch their turf war attitude and share their work with other communities is to start the ball rolling. Obviously I gave the ship away so that people could use it, but it was also my hope that people would think, hey, maybe I could give something away too, because I can't contribute much and if everyone donated just one or two items, the whole Indie Game Dev community would be better off.

I may be wrong. Maybe they'll just take, take, take and give nothing back. But I have to give it a shot.

Shambler(Posted 2004) [#3]
Fair comment.

Doggie(Posted 2004) [#4]
Well, why don't you open a website repository with an
http file uploader so we can just log in and make deposits.
No, seriously. I've got some models I'll contribute, they're of average quality but not without merit and I'd continue to do so as I get better at modelling. Make it easy and they will come.

CodeD(Posted 2004) [#5]
I agree that we bbasic should have a way to upload stuff like that, so they can be readily accessed.

Techlord(Posted 2004) [#6]
I personally do not think its good restriction. Good media will get used and I think as long as author is credited, it should not matter one language they're using.

N(Posted 2004) [#7]
I only put restrictions on stuff if I want to make sure I know who's using them. Usually the restriction is along the lines of
"You are permitted to use so and so in so and so applications, software, etc. without getting my permission. If you wish to use the aforementioned media outside of so and so applications, software, etc. contact me via e-mail and describe in-detail what you're using it for and who else this permission should apply to."

Normally this gets the point across and people do the right thing and ask for permission. Including a license or read me with a file is usually a good idea if you care about who uses it.

Doggie(Posted 2004) [#8]
Here's my bike in 3ds format. You'll have to paint it
yourself. If anyone wants to animate it let me know and I'll try to put together a parted out model.

http://home.comcast.net/~d.inman/FREEB.ZIP

You may use this model free of any encumbrance.

*(Posted 2004) [#9]
maybe a addition to the Code archive wouldnt go amiss, probably a Media section?

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#10]
Doggies, just bone it then you don't need to split it up.