Island Storm Indoor Test(Updated)

Community Forums/Showcase/Island Storm Indoor Test(Updated)

CopperCircle(Posted 2004) [#1]
*Updated lighting and added chain light, shoot chain to get it swinging, it effects lighting and shadows, you can also shoot or granade the chain apart.*

Update (1.56Mb):
http://www.apaj15.dsl.pipex.com/Island_Storm_Indoor_Test2.exe

Im still working on my project Island Storm, and have just finished the outdoor part of the engine/editor, im now working on the indoor part, and changing all the physics over to the excellent Tokamak.

The editor allows you to create entities (barrels, crates, etc...) and then the engine turns them into Tokamak objects when the player or projectile is within a certain range, it also casts shadows (Using Swifts Shadow System), when the range is met.

There are still loads of bugs and optimizations to do, but have a go shooting the cans, and light. Also try granade's (right mouse).

Im no artist and im still looking for one to join me, email if your interested.

Credits:

Textures borrowed from the PLASMA test level & Noel Cower.
Swifts Shadow System.
Sweenie and Tokamak Guys.
botbuilder's Tokamak Functions.
arkon's Motion Blur Functions.

GfK(Posted 2004) [#2]
Naughty... you're not allowed to distribute stuff packed with molebox demo version you know...

CopperCircle(Posted 2004) [#3]
I thought that meant, you not allowed to distribute commercial software, not a test/demo.

*You can freely download the trial version of MoleBox an use it during the 15-days period. After that, if you wish to continue using MoleBox, or/and you want to use it for commercial purposes, you should register.*

This is not commercial, just a free demo.

Jim Teeuwen(Posted 2004) [#4]
Nice demo. Runs pretty smoothly on my machine. (note, all efects turned on).
The motionblur thing does tend to make you a bit seasick tho :)

Bolo_Loco(Posted 2004) [#5]
Cool demo,good work !

If you need some textures,feel free to grab these ones :

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=30496

Some new textures will be released soon...

CopperCircle(Posted 2004) [#6]
Thanks Bolo_Loco, nice textures.

scribbla(Posted 2004) [#7]
great demo.......enuff sed

had to run under compatabilty mode..?

N(Posted 2004) [#8]
Nifty demo. One of the textures you used is mine, so I think you should modify your list of credits accordingly. Also, I'd like to ask you to leave the textures available for the taking instead of packing them when you release a demo. They're my textures, so if you would like to ever use them again I suggest you allow others the right to acquire them freely.

Edit: And I do realize this sounds like a bad thing, but if anyone wants me to contribute nice little texture packs again I suggest you abide by my conditions of use. I may be obligated to add a license to all future packs restricting use if my wishes aren't respected.

scribbla(Posted 2004) [#9]
just visited ur gallery noel.....great work

CopperCircle(Posted 2004) [#10]
Sorry Noel, didn`t mean to offend, I should of not packed them. Anyway won`t do it again, and credit to you excellent work in your gallery.

Genexi2(Posted 2004) [#11]
Needs a readme......btw, found this vehicle beside this buildin, and when I walked up to it, this "drive" icon appeared, but whats to key to drive it?
(unless you cant drive it at all yet in this version)

CopperCircle(Posted 2004) [#12]
Genexi2, your playing an old demo off my website, keys are shown on the download page. The new indoor test has a link in my first post.

Red(Posted 2004) [#13]
your demo rox !

Bot Builder(Posted 2004) [#14]
awesome! very nice tokamak integration!

Genexi2(Posted 2004) [#15]
K, just tried it, nice demo, was just wondering a couple things :

1) Is that your own soft-shadow system there or someone elses you implemented? (like Sswift's). Just askin cause its damn pretty....like the stuff seen in those AAA games. :)

2) Is it me or are the physics on the bottles a little unpredictable when you shoot them?
(just when I shoot them and expect them to go in the direction I fire, they instead head off in the other direction...)

Clique(Posted 2004) [#16]
Looks nice, but the hands need a little more work they dont look right, got some nice shadows and physics. good job :D

CopperCircle(Posted 2004) [#17]
Genexi2: You should read the post, as you will see its Sswift's shadow system and the physics are a little buggy, but it's just a test.

Clique(Posted 2004) [#18]
can someone please tell me what Tokamak is? , and where do you get it?

Genexi2(Posted 2004) [#19]
can someone please tell me what Tokamak is? , and where do you get it?

You dont pay much attention to the newsletters, news page, or Blitz3d section of the forum do ya?

Newsletter #3 ==> http://www.blitzbasic.com/newsletter/newsletter.php?issue=3

3rd Tokamak wrapper thread==> http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=30024

Clique(Posted 2004) [#20]
O.K thanks

Beaker(Posted 2004) [#21]
Blitz-Tokamak forum here:
click

Rob(Posted 2004) [#22]
demo link invalid.

sswift(Posted 2004) [#23]
I tried the demo, it's pretty neat how you can make the barrels tip over and shoot the spray cans and shoot out the light and they all behave realistically.

May I suggest though that you increase the gravity? It doesn't feel like 9.8 meters per second, stuff seems to move sluggishly.

After seeing this I'm considering adding an automatic "entityfade" type of thing to the shadow system to stop rendering shadows a certain distance from the camera automatically, and to fade them out in a nice way instead of just switching them off suddenly. However, there are a few issues with this. The most important one being that multiple cameras would pose a problem. One camera might be in a totally different part of the world than another and so only the shadows near the first would be displayed. This is not an easy problem to solve, though thankfully it would not affect many people.

Rob(Posted 2004) [#24]
nice work! :)

I also notice my explosion in there ;)

CopperCircle(Posted 2004) [#25]
Sswift, that would be cool, at the moment i just delete the caster at a distance to save render time, but it does make them pop in and out quite badly.

Rob, the explosion is from the Adobe Premiere Media CD.

Rob(Posted 2004) [#26]
I stand corrected.

I had a good play with your demo, and I like the way the light reacts. I get some z order fighting with the shadows and objects but fairly minor.

I like being able to blow them across the room and shoot them, but I think that you should experiment with the gravity and object masses. I don't use 9.5 or whatever as gravity because frankly, it never looks right. The reason it never looks right is because you will never get the unit scale and simulation speed right.

So my advice is to play with a higher gravity and mess around with mass. I also tried setting the linear and angular dampening to offset any problems with good results.

The demo is coming along nicely though. What plans do you have to make the physics useful and contribute to gameplay?