Island Storm Indoor Test

Community Forums/Showcase/Island Storm Indoor Test

CopperCircle(Posted 2004) [#1]
Im still working on my project Island Storm, and have just finished the outdoor part of the engine/editor, im now working on the indoor part, and changing all the physics over to the excellent Tokamak.

The editor allows you to create entities (barrels, crates, etc...) and then the engine turns them into Tokamak objects when the player or projectile is within a certain range, it also casts shadows (Using Swifts Shadow System), when the range is met.

There are still loads of bugs and optimizations to do, but have a go shooting the cans, and light. Also try granade's (right mouse).

Im no artist and im still looking for one to join me, email if your interested.

Credits:

Textures borrowed from the PLASMA test level.
Swifts Shadow System.
Sweenie and Tokamak Guys.
botbuilder's Tokamak Functions.
arkon's Motion Blur Functions.

http://www.apaj15.dsl.pipex.com/Island_Storm_Indoor_Test.exe

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#2]
That is very nice man! Love the physics too :D Is it Tomacak Physics?

Nice :) Me is impressed.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#3]
You may not be an artist, but even before downloading, the screenshots look interesting enough to want to take a look at it...

... sorta has a retro, modern style and look to it.

ok, lets take a look... downloading now at blazing dialup velocities... (thanks for keeping it small)

[added]

FINALLY... a game where i can actually shoot out the the lights!!!!

That in itself makes all the physics behaviors pale in comparison...

just kidding, of course...

the physics impelementation is impressive... but you do realize that you will now have to make it so that we can kick the barrels and push em around... :)

and i'm sure that there have been other games where the lights can go out, but for the life of me i cannot remember one.

This is good... verrrry good CC

--Mike

mrtricks(Posted 2004) [#4]
He he nice surprise when you shoot the light!

Feels really nice, although I'd like to see the barrels move more when shot. Perhaps they don't move so much at first, but leak their contents when shot and then move more the emptier they get...? Whole thing will feel just right when all the sound is added - I like the ricochet sound off the cans.

Motion blur a nice effect but I don't think I want eppilepsy just yet! %(

Sweenie(Posted 2004) [#5]
Feels really nice, although I'd like to see the barrels move more when shot. Perhaps they don't move so much at first, but leak their contents when shot and then move more the emptier they get...?

The cool thing is that it's so easy to do with a good physicssystem. It's just a matter of fiddling with the mass of the barrels.

I know it's just a test but try making the barrels and boxes fly away from the grenadeexplosion, that would make it look even better.

koekjesbaby(Posted 2004) [#6]
i just get the infamous memory acess violation...

poopla(Posted 2004) [#7]
lol, make sure you save the exe into a folder, dont jsut run it from the DL.

CopperCircle(Posted 2004) [#8]
Thanks all, I intend to expand on the interaction with the physics, so that you can build blockades and roll barrels down slops into the enemy.

Sweenie: I will make all objects blow away from explosions in the final version.

koekjesbaby: You will need the tokamak.dll in your system32 folder.

RetroBooster(Posted 2004) [#9]
lol copper try shooting a can off the shelves and onto a box... then just shoot a box... notice something wrong perhapse?

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#10]
Hmm...you sure CopperCircle?

I ran the demo on a college computer, with no trace of blitz or anything on it :)

Anthony Flack(Posted 2004) [#11]

and i'm sure that there have been other games where the lights can go out, but for the life of me i cannot remember one.

How 'bout Elevator Action? :D

scribbla(Posted 2004) [#12]
same as koekjesbaby... memory acess violation even when run under compatibility mode

Caff(Posted 2004) [#13]
REALLY nice demo :)

CopperCircle(Posted 2004) [#14]
On checking I did include the tokamak.dll, so if your getting MAV's it must be molebox.

RetroBooster: I have not managed to get a can onto a crate, what happens?

Techlord(Posted 2004) [#15]
CopperCircle,

Very good demo. What I find most impressive is the integration of the many different systems (as mentioned in credits). Physics, Shadows, Blur effects, and Camera (quakecam effect) are integrated smoothly. Very good job!

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#16]
nice stuff man. i was impressed with all of it really.

Shambler(Posted 2004) [#17]
Very nice =)

RetroBooster(Posted 2004) [#18]
The can is very fast when shot and appears very light (you can shoot it all over the place) however when it hits another physics object it acts out an amazing ammount of force... way too much... shoot a crate, hardly anything happens... shoot a tiny can onto a crate and it tumbles over and sometimes even flies up... :P