Spinning Cube Demo

Community Forums/Showcase/Spinning Cube Demo

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#1]
I was bored... I created an interesting shape in Milkshape... I rendered it in blitz... It was boring...

So I added particle effects... then added a sphere map... then made the sphere map update itself driven by what's on the screen.

It was pretty!

So I saved it!

Download from my site in the projects section.

SopiSoft(Posted 2004) [#2]
now that looks quite cool...why not turn it into a screensaver! :-)

Beaker(Posted 2004) [#3]
Looks real pretty but runs like a dog on mine (not a big surprise).

[rob - are you interested in sharing this thread with other show-off effect demos?]

Andy(Posted 2004) [#4]
Runs pretty well, but I don't get the stars and glitter effects... But, seeing as this machine is using a Geforce 256 DDR, I should propably be lucky that it works at all!

Andy

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#5]
Beaker: If you want.

The only reason I uploaded this was an experiment to the forum and guess what, I've had more downloads of a spinning cube demo in a few hours than the total downloads of Droplet V2.00beta and Texture Creator put together. I guess I've found the level of the forum.

I can only conclude that people are more interested in a spinning cube than free applications for the community.

I think everyone on this forum need to re-think their priorities, likewise as do I with regards to what I spend my time on.

And as for the other 62 people who have downloaded this demo and not posted any comments, I feel it would be polite for you to do so.

semar(Posted 2004) [#6]
I can only conclude that people are more interested in a spinning cube than free applications for the community.

@Rob,
perhaps you would not change your opinion, but I have to tell you that I did (and do) appreciate Droplet a lot.

Droplet is a really useful application, and the effort you've put in it is really remarkable.

See, as you get bored sometime, and need to produce some 'light' application, like a spinning cube, the same happens to people sometime - we need to play with something that does not need too much brain work, just to take a rest..

Please keep on m8. Perhaps a spinning cone, a jumping ball, or Droplet V3. In all the cases, I will always be amazed by your productions.

Sergio.

Yan(Posted 2004) [#7]
Ooo...Shiny things...

YAN

Beaker(Posted 2004) [#8]
Yeah Rob - don't lose heart. It happens to us all, little feedback, etc. Don't worry yourself with it, just not worth it. You do good work, make it for yourself first and foremost.

Sometimes people can't be bothered to download tools cos there isn't an initial hit, and people don't know whether they want or need it (unless it does something obvious like build terrains or lightmap levels).

Also, people don't have much time, so downloading a demo and looking at it for a few minutes is do-able, and then they can go off and think about how it is done when they are on their way to work etc.

Floyd(Posted 2004) [#9]
downloading a demo and looking at it for a few minutes is do-able

I'm worse than that.

I have an amazing number of programs which I have never tried.
But I downloaded and saved them because they sounded like something I might want.

Caff(Posted 2004) [#10]
Really nice demo Rob. I think the reason it gets so many downloads is that people like looking at graphics demos -because they're pretty, quick to run and don't require much thought. You're right, that's not saying much ;)

I fully intend to explore Droplet 2, but only at a time when I have enough media to integrate it into a project. Like MB says, don't lose heart - you've done some great stuff for the community and I'm sure a lot of people appreciate it.

Kozmi(Posted 2004) [#11]
I appreciate anybody that takes their time to develope something for other peoples use... If not just to look at it! I too have tried you app's and I think they are very well done! You do very dam good work and don't let other detir you from what you do well...

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#12]
NIce Screenie. I didn't download, but nevertheless comment it :P If you make the cube a porsche and add some lasvegas buildings, this is a need for speed clone :)

dangerdave(Posted 2004) [#13]
Rob,
Nice pic.

[irony] I thank this post and your comment about people
not downloading Droplet. I wanted to check out Droplet, but
I didn't know who made it. I've downloaded it and will try
it out. Thanks again. [/irony]

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#14]
Looks cool Rob. In fact i am more looking forward to your texture creater thingy. :)

wedoe(Posted 2004) [#15]
Cool as a demoeffect, you should add some approaching stars to make an illusion of everything moving through space.