Dragon Chaser v2.0b

Community Forums/Showcase/Dragon Chaser v2.0b

Stoop Solo(Posted 2004) [#1]

..for when "snake" just isn't enough! My first BlitzPlus project (er, well version 2.0b!) has now reached release stage, and is now ready for your consumption! Single, two players and LAN mode for up to four players. Feedback welcomed. Happy chasing!

Download here (about 6.5 meg)

po(Posted 2004) [#2]
Best snake-type game ever! The mouse control is the best! I love the control. Cool.

napole0n(Posted 2004) [#3]
Very nice! I really like the organic movement of the graphics instead of the usual 90 degree corners, and the control is pretty much spot on. The mouse seems to be fastest, but keyboard is a bit more accurate. Well done!

Dock(Posted 2004) [#4]
Wow, this is excellent. I managed to score 28... is there any other goal in the game other than score challenge? I realise this is the point of snake, etc, but I was curious :) I'm really impressed with the overall presentation, you've really made a relatively simple concept shine through your thorough attention to detail. Excellent stuff ^_^

slenkar(Posted 2004) [#5]
Is this a game where you sniff cocaine?

darklordz(Posted 2004) [#6]
very original

Stoop Solo(Posted 2004) [#7]
Many thanks, all.

Dock- Yup, score acquisition is pretty much the point of the single player mode. I'm drafting up some additional modes for inclusion in what will probably be version 3.

The multiplayer/network mode is more akin to the rules of the Tron-bike games, as it's round-based, with rounds being won on a last-man-standing (last-dragon-chasing?) affair. In these modes, food acquisition affects only your size, assisting you in the vanquish of opponents.

There's a few other odds and ends to do as well. The network stuff is all UDP and pretty robust, although I need to put in some keep-alive stuff in the chat-room, just to check the clients haven't crashed. Also hoping to include a game browser, probably before version 3. Though I'm uncertain which port to use as the browser one. The game can host on whatever port you want, but that makes browsing a little more difficult, as the chat-room presence broadcast will probably need to be a fixed port.

Finally, I need to get it to disable mouse acceleration and restore it upon exit to whatever it was set to when it was started (tried it quickly, can't make head nor tail of how to use the SPI_GETMOUSE part of the SystemParametersInfo function of user32.dll).