PaintJob3D WIP

Community Forums/Showcase/PaintJob3D WIP

DougUK(Posted 2004) [#1]
Just work in progress, i'm interested in how this works on other systems, so any feed back will be greatly appreciated.

http://www.dagj.co.uk/paintjob3d/paintjob3d.zip

Arrow keys to rotate, shift+up/down arrows to zoom in/out.
mouse wheel or PgUP/PgDn to adjust pen size and click mouse wheel to move around model.

Also F8 for projection mode and F9 to cycle through surfaces to paint.

Sorry about rough guide, i will write a help file soon :)

Cheers

ckob(Posted 2004) [#2]
works pretty good bad thing though is that there is already a super tool out called tattoo which is chalked full of features :( this is great though

Doggie(Posted 2004) [#3]
Doesn't work at all. I can't find one model on my hard drive that doesn't give an error and crash your program.
It's probably my crap 3D card though. GeForce4 MX which is a GeForce 2 in disguise.

DougUK(Posted 2004) [#4]
Thankx ckob, I have bundles of features to add too, theres plenty of room on the market for another meshpainter so its not that bad :)

Doggie, the image above shows a model that you can find in the media folder of blitz3D, try that and let me know how it goes, It works fine on my other machine, a Athlon 1400 with GeForce 2 mx 400

cheers

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2004) [#5]
Erm TBH I dont like tatto.

But there is something about this that makes me like it. Im not sure what it is though.

What id love to see is being able to pull in a image, and moveing it over the model to get it into the right position..

Like when you cut and paste a part of an image from one place to another, have a feature that will allow you to cut say a metal plate image and paste it onto the model then allow you to move the image around the model till you get it where you want it.

Anyway its looking good. keep up the good work.

TeraBit(Posted 2004) [#6]
Hi DAGJ,

Looks pretty cool! I'll download it and have a go when I get home later this evening.

Looks neat from the screenshot though! :)

Doggie(Posted 2004) [#7]
Weird. It will load all the models in the media folder
of Blitz but not even one other model from anywhere
else. Beats me.

I'm thinking about buying the Radeon 9200 128mb AGP card
Anybody have one of those? Is it a step in the right
direction?

TeraBit(Posted 2004) [#8]
I found that there are a ton of reasons why models can crash a blitz program. Someone will always find something you didn't think of or was output in a strange format.

Perhaps your other models do not have associated textures with all of their surfaces? Things like that can be a pain for a Mesh Painting program!

fredborg(Posted 2004) [#9]
I had a couple of crashes with this too. I think it's because it doesn't check if something is a pivot or a mesh, and therefore basically only works with pure mesh models/files. The Blitz .x loader converts everything to meshes, even pivots, and I haven't had any problems with .x files only b3d...

That might be the reason.

DougUK(Posted 2004) [#10]
Thankyou for all the comments :)

Fredborg, your right i havn't put in a check for pivots, I never thought about that, i'll add that to my todo list, thanks for pointing it out :)

cheers

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#11]
Doggie - I have an ATI Excalibur with Radeon 9200SE. The best thing is the price. For those 65$ I paid, I got a good card, but it has several drawbacks:

Radeon has generally a Terrain Bug, see Bug Reports.
Mipmaping blurs brutally - distant things are looking smeary oftenly. (see screenie in PLASMA thread)
Since the 9200 doesn't have a Fan, it's running with 200MHz, which makes it pretty slow. But, that's a pro: it's absolutely silent.

Other Pros: Supports all DirectX 9 Features like Shaders etc.
Is in high resolutions equally fast compared to 640*480.

It's definitively a low end card. For me it's good enough, since I won't play doom3 or HL2 on it.

TeraBit(Posted 2004) [#12]
Ok. I've had a play. Very promising indeed! It does chocks more than Tattoo did at 0.1 and could go far with a bit of work.

Pros:
* Nice controls
* Simple interface
* Projection Painting works just like normal painting! Nice! 8D

Cons:
* Projection Painting is Slow (7 FPS) and would likely get much slower with a complicated mesh (be interested to know how you did it though, as it works very neatly)
* Seems to fail to load all my models too. Says "I don't recognise this file" for .B3Ds

That being said, Tattoo didn't get projection anything until 1.4 something, so go DAGJ!

DougUK(Posted 2004) [#13]
Thanks very much Lee, to be honest i havn't really tested with .b3d files, i'll have a good look into this and try and have a fix as soon as possible. :)

cheers

DougUK(Posted 2004) [#14]
I think i might have found the problem with loading .b3d files, I had the same I dont recognise this file error, so i tried again but this time i typed the .b3d extension on the end and it loaded ok.

can someone confirm this please?

thank you

TeraBit(Posted 2004) [#15]
yes that appears to be it. It appears that the extension needs to be in lower case?

I tried it with the Woman model that comes with Tattoo. As predicted Projection Painting is down to <1 Frame per second. (with a 5 pixel or so brush)

Picking Triangles can be a real time consuming pain when a complex model is involved. :(

On the other hand, normal painting is in the healthy 86 FPS range! :)

DougUK(Posted 2004) [#16]
Thankx Lee,
yes projection does slow down a lot on complex objects, I think i'll spend a little time on speeding that up before i start adding all the features :)

cheers

TeraBit(Posted 2004) [#17]
Are you doing a pick on each pixel in the brush to find the UV and drawing it that way? As the Projection speed seems to drop sharply as the brush size increases.

DougUK(Posted 2004) [#18]
yep, thats the problem really, every pixel is picked individually, time to put on my thinking cap to find another way :)

regards

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2004) [#19]
Could you not just do one pick from the center of the brush and then work out the rest from the middle. ?

TeraBit(Posted 2004) [#20]
Not really. A brush could cover a large number of connected triangles with different UV setups. Potentially, each pixel could be going to different corners of the UV map, or even to different surfaces/textures! It's a nightmare to get working. Even in Tattoo, Projection painting has been under revision through countless revision points to get to where it is.