Not -another- oldschool shooter!?

Community Forums/Showcase/Not -another- oldschool shooter!?

napole0n(Posted 2004) [#1]
PLEASE SCROLL DOWN FOR UPDATES ON THIS PROJECT!

I just got Blitz3D last week, and I'm working on a 2.5D shooter to get to grips with the language and the art-pipeline. So far I've got some models, nice particle effects and all the controls work nice and fluently. Collision detection is in place, and now it's time to get my hands dirty on modelling enemies, the gameworld and do some leveldesign!

I use Maya for my 3D models, Photoshop for texturing and gile[s] for lightmaps.

CyBeRGoth(Posted 2004) [#2]
Nice

Always room for more shooters in my opinion, not enough of them games made these days.

slenkar(Posted 2004) [#3]
make sure you have big disgusting bosses (like real life)

joncom2000(Posted 2004) [#4]
Looks like a cool ship. Will you be having the Force style powerup like R-Type, sending that out in front or sticking it on the back end was a cool feature :)

napole0n(Posted 2004) [#5]
Note to self:
- Consider big disgusting bosses
- Consider Force style powerup

Good. Any more suggestions? Don't know yet what I will or will not implement, but all ideas are welcome!

Just added some groovy particle explosions! *BAWOOM*

scribbla(Posted 2004) [#6]
like the colours on the ship..always room for another blaster

CodeD(Posted 2004) [#7]
Ever heard of Delta 100% on Commodore 64??

napole0n(Posted 2004) [#8]
Nope. But I've got a C64 emulator lying around, so I can see if I can find it somewhere!

napole0n(Posted 2004) [#9]
Things are shaping up nicely:

The whole shooting engine and the controls work flawless, explosions and particle systems are now fully working and the code is cleaned up. A parallax scrolling starfield is in place, and work on the scenery models has begun. Blitz3D is really wonderful; I never expected development to be this quick, especially considering I've only got it for a bit more than a week!

gellyware(Posted 2004) [#10]
very nice graphics and effects man! thumbs up!

napole0n(Posted 2004) [#11]
Cheers, I'm having a good time working on this!

RiK(Posted 2004) [#12]
and you only had Blitz for a week?????

Awesome!

Cant wait to see a demo of this :)

napole0n(Posted 2004) [#13]
A week and a half to be precise :)

It'll take me some more time to get a demo though, as there's a lot of work still to be done. While the program works, I want a lot of different enemies, attack patterns, scenery and music in. Currently I'm either working on that or putting other people to work to create it for me :)

gellyware(Posted 2004) [#14]
Hey napoleOn, I just noticed something... Your ship exhaust is pointing towards the driver... This could be a good thing or a bad thing. Maybe you can have oxygen pickups so that the carbon monoxide doesnt kill the driver ;)

napole0n(Posted 2004) [#15]
No, the exhausts are at the back (jetengines), the thing on top is a vent to let air in to cool the reactor :-) The smoke you see comes from the ship's gun, when a shot is fired.

Anthony Flack(Posted 2004) [#16]

the thing on top is a vent to let air in to cool the reactor

Really? I hear that air vents don't work so well on spaceships. ;o)

napole0n(Posted 2004) [#17]
This one works perfectly as a matter of fact :) It's true, I tested it myself.

napole0n(Posted 2004) [#18]

* Did more cleanup on coding and removed unnecessary cubemapping due to too heavy performance hits. You hardly see it anyway on most objects.

* Added Mark's 'frametweening' system, so now it runs on 100fps if it can and drops frames when it can't keep up, without affecting gameplay or pacing.

* Most important of all: I've just written a tiling system which makes it possible to construct very large background/scenery by combining smaller meshes like building blocks. This way it's possible to build very detailed scenery and keep detailed textures and lightmapping information without using huge amounts of texturemapping or geometry. Due to the nature of my game (2.5D sidescrolling), it only works horizontally, but I might build on it later to create a proper x/y/z tiling system, as I think this might be very useful.

The screenshot looks a bit bland, but it's just to demonstrate the tilingsystem in use: this is just 1 object which repeats itself a couple of times, combined to form 1 background.

napole0n(Posted 2004) [#19]

And this is what the tile-engine looks like when you use some proper models and lighting for the backgrounds. Did a lot of stuff with gile[s] to get the right look and feel. The explosion does not cause the red lighting on the walls BTW, it was there to begin with. Could you tell there's only one 512 texture used for the WHOLE background here?

robleong(Posted 2004) [#20]
Love the last screenshot - can't wait to see the demo!

Kong(Posted 2004) [#21]
Looks great. If you are looking for any inspiration or feedback from shooter fans then you should check out the forums at http://dynamic5.gamespy.com/%7Eshmups/shmupsforum/index.php

Those forums are simply the best place on the net for shmup fans.

Stoop Solo(Posted 2004) [#22]
More power to you.

What the world needs now...
Is old-skool shooters, sweet old-skool shooters.

Steve C ™(Posted 2004) [#23]
Looks awesome.
Can't wait to try this game out :)

napole0n(Posted 2004) [#24]

Now that the tiling works, it's time to get some more interactive scenery in place. This gun is the first one. I already got it to work in Blitz3D (had to fiddle a bit to get all the parenting and auto-aiming correct), but I'm not yet sure whether it should shoot the player or be used in backgrounds to shoot enemies. I think it could be quite dramatic to have it take on loads of enemies in the background, and those that escape come to haunt you. Or maybe some of the guns get destroyed by enemy fire. It would give it a more war-like feel I think. Let me know what you think.

Shambler(Posted 2004) [#25]
Having some of the 'scenery' objects on your side would bring a nice twist to the game, you're on the right track with your ideas for this =)

Steve C ™(Posted 2004) [#26]
Looking great still!
Hurry up with a demo ;)