elo 750?

Community Forums/Showcase/elo 750?

meemoe_uk(Posted 2004) [#1]
There are lots of elo systems around.
I hope CSP design don`t mean a yahoo or simular elo, because if so, at 750, Deep purple chess might as well not have an AI, and just play random moves....
Someone tell me it's not a system simular to yahoo elo.

Jim Teeuwen(Posted 2004) [#2]
what on gods earth are you talking about? O.o

CyBeRGoth(Posted 2004) [#3]
what?.. dont you know?! :P

JoeRetro(Posted 2004) [#4]
Yes, 750 ELO (Chess Rating) is very low indeed. Your typical average chess player has a rating of 1300 ELO. My rating (according to www.playchess.com) is 1620 ELO.

Shambler(Posted 2004) [#5]
It only uses a 2 ply look ahead.

My assumption is they wanted to make a game that was 'fun' rather than the next kasparov bashing program that needs a cray 2 to run on.

JoeRetro(Posted 2004) [#6]
My assumption is they wanted to make a game that was 'fun' rather than the next kasparov bashing program that needs a cray 2 to run on.

The thing is you don't need a cray, just do a google search for a FREE chess engine with source. You will be surprised how strong some of these engines are (2500 ELO) and this will run on a low end pc too.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#7]
Not sure what ELO system you're talking about.I found it pretty hard to win against the computer in deep purple chess. But I am not an experienced chess player.

If some of those who already bought it could tell me how often they used to win? As the description says this is for dumb people like me, to learn playing.

The AI definitifely doesn't do "random moves", in fact it's pretty mean and it tries to make check mate in 5 or so moves.

Doggie(Posted 2004) [#8]
Where's the demo?

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#9]
No demo. Thanks to those guys who bought it.

RetroBooster(Posted 2004) [#10]
I'd love to give you my, more experienced oppinion, but there's simply no way I'll buy a chess game rated at 750 elo right now, when I'm used to playing opponents with elo's of at the very least 1500, there are free, granted less graphicaly appealing, chess engines that rate at elo 2500 and are perfectly playable on just about any system.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#11]
It's approximatly 750 Elo, and even then the diffrent Systems differ a lot, I don't know. As I said, it cannot offer 2800 like Kasparov.

I just went to http://www.neilpearce.co.uk/chess/ , there is an other ply-2 chess program that runs in javascript. Deep Purple made it check mate in 9 moves. I only tried one time since that javascript takes a minute or so for one move in Opera.

Here's the party where Deep Purple was white:

1. a2 a4 b8 c6
2. e2 e4 e7 e5
3. d1 f3 g8 e7
4. b1 c3 d7 d6
5. f1 c4 c8 f5
6. e4 f5 e7 f5
7. f3 f5 f8 e7
8. f5 f7 e8 d7
9. c4 e6

RetroBooster(Posted 2004) [#12]
Not intended to put you down or anything, but that javascript chess program is HORRIBLE possibly the worst chess program I've ever seen...

1. e2 e4 e7 e5
2. f1 c4 g8 f6
3. d1 f3 f6 e4
4. f3 f7

White mate in 4, this thing takes any bait you throw at it. infact if this is realy ply-2 it's weighting is TOTALY messed up, because it should have seen this mate comming as an immediate response to his move.

Mind you I love it that someone wrote a nice 3d chess game in blitz, if I wasn't occupied with other matters I'd prolly be inspired to make one myself right away. But that java script isn't realy a testing grounds for any somewhat decent chess program... ;)

Immagine what a great contest tho, if we would make several blitz chess AI's based on 1 standardized code platform then play them off against eachother, where each has only an X ammount of minutes thinking time for the whole match. That just gets my mouth watering. *drewl*

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#13]
I agree, that javascript is indeed weak. But to be honest, 2500 is a big lot, only grand masters require such a strong engine. and I think the human player should win from time to time too.

Do you know any chess program with elo rating that I could use to effictively calculate the strength of mine?

Yes, nice idea, a data interchange standartized interface. Kinda Robotwars for nerds :)

RetroBooster(Posted 2004) [#14]
Well your best shot is having a set of matches between your program and players on one of the internet chess communities, such as www.playchess.com and see at what elo rate you get overthere.

meemoe_uk(Posted 2004) [#15]
@jfk, er I've decided I'll try not to post negative comments about user creations anymore in public. If I think theres something up I'll try and email in private, or not say anything. sos