Droplet V2.00 Beta download

Community Forums/Showcase/Droplet V2.00 Beta download

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#1]
Droplet V2.00 beta is available for download... loads of bits missing at the moment, I just want to get a feel for how you guys find it.

Download it here

Beaker(Posted 2004) [#2]
First impressions:

I like it. I like the simple user interface. I think you should do something with the cursor keys (and WASD for people like me). Also, do something with mousebutton 3 and the mousewheel.

These controls:
Shift+Right click - change camera Y position
Shift+Mouse move - move grid Y position
...seem to similar in activation and effect. To much risk of doing the wrong thing.

All seems very functional. I presume you will actually be using it for your own projects. What are your plans for the Zones mode?

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#3]
Mousewheel and cursor keys: Certainly I'll do something with the mousewheel, I've just emulated the same commands from Maplet at the moment. I guess a fly around with cursor keys wouldn't hurt either.

I think I've still got to support people with only 2 buttons though, I know a lot of people don't really use the 3rd.

The Zones mode is for setting up zones within your map, so you can set up zones for different ambient sounds, different floor types, inside or outside etc, basically it will just export xyz position and xyz size of each zone so you can check if your player is in a zone and change factors acordingly. You'll be able to give each zone a name and bunch of properties exactly like the entities.

Beaker(Posted 2004) [#4]
As long as you only use the 3rd button to replicate something you can do elsewhere then its essential IMO. I always try and fully use my mouse in any new application.

Zones sounds interesting.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#5]
Looks nice. Any plans for WYSIWYG Mesh-Import?

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#6]
It already does, that's the mesh mode.

The way droplet 2 works over droplet 1 is that you don't need to open a b3d file first, it just allows you to place objects in a 3d world, so the first mesh you would open would probably be your level, beyond that you can import as many more as you want, scale and rotate them. Check out the first screenshot.

Beaker(Posted 2004) [#7]
What I would like is a folder called 'prefabs' that is parsed when you run Droplet and a list created of the files, so that you can select them quickly without having to do a file dialog each time.

I'd also like to have access to a text file containing the list of colors you can select.

Generally make it quite open to adaptation.

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#8]
The idea behind the prefabs folder was to make it more flexible. In the first versions of Droplet there was a big list that was parsed when you ran it. The problem was this list got very very long and it became a pain in the arse.

The advantage of the prefabs folder means you can create sub folders within it and organise it all nicely. For example you could create a 'lights' folder that holds all your lights, a 'particle emitters' folder etc so you don't get drowned in big lists.

Also, because they are just simple text files you can create copies very easily and make minor adjustments without having to do it all though Droplet.

With regards to the colours you can select that's actually hard coded, but I think you're onto a good idea about having a txt file with the available colours. I'll look into it.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#9]
Nice to see it has mesh import. I assume there is also a Load Source that will load the level saved with droplet?
BTW if not already in I'd suggest to implement a copy/paste feature for meshes (ctrl-c...). I added this to my level editor, and it makes the work with multiple oil-drums, wood-crates and the like very easy.

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#10]
Yeah, I wrote a loader with the last droplet so I'll write one for this too. Good idea with the copy/paste, I'll add it in. The mesh stuff isn't all in yet but you can colour, scale and rotate it at the moment (in the version on my PC at least!).

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#11]
is 1.04 version the same as beta 2?cause thats all i could see on the projects bit

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#12]
Look in downloads

Rob Pearmain(Posted 2004) [#13]
Excellent, will try it out now

Forgot about this app, and to think I was going to write my own, doh!

Please keep on developing it, really good

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#14]
Ahgh because my screen is small the downloads section didn't appear on screen, kind of clipped it off. thought I was going mad
downloading it now

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#15]
hmm zip file appears to be empty for some bizarre reason

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#16]
I think you've done something wrong Ruz, I just downloaded it off my site and it's complete!

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#17]
yeah i dont know whats happening today, must be some kind of voodoo curse

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#18]
Bascially what is happening is that i am downloading it , winzip opens when complete but the fiel is empty then I can't find the zip file on my hard drive. must be this damn evaluation version of winzip

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#19]
Try

[edit]Removed link as I've got a php county thing link![/edit]

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#20]
got it now , cheers rob. its a bug in winzip i think
If I right click and sve it works fine

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#21]
Liked it rob,seems very easy to use . I like how you can just import your b3d meshes and plonk em down. I will definitely be using this .

One question, may be silly to you but not for me.( i am silly)
Does it save out the Blitz 3d file with the amendments or does it just record the postions of entities, so you can import them in to your level yourself using load mesh or whatever.

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#22]
Just saves the positions of everything, I'll be writing a loader that you can include in your blitz projects (hence the create bb include options that doesn't do anything at the moment!)

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#23]
ok ,cheers rob. nice work so far.

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#24]
Cheers, I'll upload an update soon, however, I'm moving house on Saturday so I'll be without internet and stuff for a while before I get everything back online.

Pineapple(Posted 2004) [#25]
Great proggy... me love it! :D

Caff(Posted 2004) [#26]
Looks nice, the interface works well... :)

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#27]
Thanks for the comments so far, I'm still without internet so updating the version is a touch tricky to say the least.

Infact I've only just set my computer up at my new home so I'll have to pull my finger out of my arse and get to work on this.

Anyway, hopefully without internet access I might actually get some work done!

Jeroen(Posted 2004) [#28]

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#29]
Fixed

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#30]
This is really a very useful tool. One could position the interior objects from the csp interior package easily and create a nice map in one afternoon. ;)

Seriously, I recommend: Maplet > Decorator > Droplet . Droplet has all features the csp editor has, plus more, but it features a better interface, one that people actually can understand :)