Texture Creator Beta ready for testing...

Community Forums/Showcase/Texture Creator Beta ready for testing...

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#1]
Texture Creator

This allows you to use small tiles to create larger textures. Small tiles without much detail I find much easier to draw than whole textures in one go. Using 32x32 tiles you can build up a texture using the 10 layers available.

Hitting the render button will then cast shadows on the layers below giving the texture more life. On top of this there is a fx stack that allows you to add, multiply, or 2x Multiply in any amount or quantity onto any over the layers below at any level. This gives you massive power to creating some very unusal effects as well as realisic looking dirt and grime.

Using the stack editor you can rearrange, change the magnitude, change the texture of each of these effects. Or indeed pile more effects on the top to give an even more rich texture.

Currently you can't save out the final textures (although you can do a print screen if you want!) and strength settings don't work on the multiply blend modes.

Let me know how you get on with it.

** Remember, this is a beta so it might blow up for no good reason at all, I've tried testing most things but you know how really obvious stuff falls through the net. If you can try and remember exactly where and why the error happened, let me know and I'll do my best to fix it!

Beta Download Here

Hints on Usage:
* Hide all the layers you're not using. It will render all visible layers regardless of if there is anything on them or not.
* Higher blur levels slow it down more so keep the blur setting low for getting it to look about right.
* Using the Right mouse button on buttons will auto repeat it (so you don't need to keep clicking)
* My textures are crap! I'd recomend building your own. Mask colour is 255,0,128, this will be definable at some point!

wedoe(Posted 2004) [#2]
I got a "memory access violation" when I rendered with my own background image,
then added 2x to the stack and then tried to render again.

Apart from that the app looks very promising :)

wedoe(Posted 2004) [#3]
*bump*

I think this tool deserve more testers !

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#4]
I'll test it on wednesday if you want. Quit ebusy right now :)

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#5]
Well it's nice to see this has been received about as well as a fart in a spaceship.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#6]
The Feedback on this forum doesn't neccessarily reflect the true value of this software. I think this is a tool a lot of people will discover and use over time.

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#7]
sorry rob, just been too busy and my graphics card on this mahchine won't run anything.
I for one am interested and am just transferring it on to floppy to my other pc
will try and give some feedback tonight

Binary_Moon(Posted 2004) [#8]
It don't work. Each time i hit render I get a bunch of progress bars then a memory access error.

BTW I like cabbage soup :)

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#9]
yup i get that memory acess error too.

fredborg(Posted 2004) [#10]
I get the Memory Access Violation error as well :(

The render progress bar goes to 100% and then BAM! Is some special setting needed, or does it expect something to be in a specific location?

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#11]
Just noticed if you don't have a background you get the error... I'll fix it soon... I'm going to be away for the next 3 days so I can't fix it just yet.

Ricky Smith(Posted 2004) [#12]
Apart from the occasional MAE this looks like a really cool app - nice and simple to use - hope you keep working on this Rob !

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#13]
I'll take a look at this at the weekend see if I can iron out this bug, I reckon it'll be pretty straight forward.

I'm guessing this bug has stopped anyone else looking at it, shame really, without feedback it makes improving it and getting it right pretty tough.

Mustang(Posted 2004) [#14]
I'm guessing this bug has stopped anyone else looking at it, shame really, without feedback it makes improving it and getting it right pretty tough.

Bugs usually do that :)

But hey, at least you noticed that it has one because ppl *did* take a look. And once the bug is fixed, more feedback will follow I'm sure.

One thing to note is that although this app is cool and very useful for texture tweaking / generating, it doesn't have anything I can't do with Photoshops layers and effects? Yes, I know, PS cost a lot... but for ppl who do have it (through work or have bought it) it's not really that tempting to switch using app like yours - it's just additional cost and you have to learn to use yet another program.

But I'm sure that something like this would be useful for many game makers here, especially if they don't have Photoshop.

Agamer(Posted 2004) [#15]
can some one paste the link as the url a problem on my computer which I will sort out sonn won't let me click short ones

Ricky Smith(Posted 2004) [#16]

One thing to note is that although this app is cool and very useful for texture tweaking / generating, it doesn't have anything I can't do with Photoshops layers and effects?

Well I found Texture creator very intuitive and easy to use far more so than to achieve the same results with PS.
This app is specific in what it does and it does it very well.
Comparing this to PS is like like comparing Milkshape to 3dsMax or CharacterFX to Motion Builder. There will always be a need for cool and easy to use little tools specific to thier purpose.

Agamer(Posted 2004) [#17]
Please could you please awnser my above post I really want this prgram to try out but I need the text link!!!!!

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#18]
Mustang: Yes you can do this in photoshop, however, we're not all professonal artists like yourself so if there's a tool that helps you out then it's there to be used.

Agamer: http://blitz.idigicon.com/project_detailb.asp?ProjectName=Texture%20Creator