Hand of God

Community Forums/Showcase/Hand of God

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#1]
Here's a screenshot from something I just started working on (about three days so far.) It is/will be an interactive art piece, tentatively titled "Hand of God." I was thinking "Finger of God" but that sounds vulgar.

Nebula(Posted 2004) [#2]
How about 'the touch of god'? Or gods touch?

Looks interesting.

ErikT(Posted 2004) [#3]

I was thinking "Finger of God" but that sounds vulgar.

Nah, I don't think so. 'Hand of God' sounds better tho'. Care to share a few more details?

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#4]
Hm, "Touch of God," maybe. Although the design is iteractive (ie. I'll be making up stuff as I go) the plan is for the piece to allow participants to control the gene pool of the creatures by clicking on them. You can kill creatures or mate them, resulting in offspring. Traits are passed to offspring according to real genetics.

darklordz(Posted 2004) [#5]
god touch or bad touch :)

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#6]
... what about calling it bugs on a lawn with hand sticking up

--Mike

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2004) [#7]
I like "Hand of God".

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#8]
... you would B,

in your world, God is White, and everything is balanced and fits nicely into your view of the universe...

... but imagine looking at this work from the Chinese perspective... hhmmmm, maybe that is the hand of an Oriental,

... or someone looking at it from the Middle Eastern perspective... or the African person's point of view.

you find it easy to accpet this being the hand of God because God's hand looks a lil like your hand... substitute a Black person's hand there for a second...

... now, are you so ready to accept it as being the hand of God... come on, be honest now :)

Try looking at it from the perspective of someone who sees God not as an idea born from an image of man... God's hand might be perceived as something totally different visually...

... if it could really be represented visually at all.

in short, in my own lil amusing way... all i'm saying is that if you want to make a truly artistic statement, God must be represented more abstractly, so that the viewe can in their own minds place God in the picture...

... with the artist only helping em to do so.

this scene is to restrictive to be titled the hand of God...

am i getting too deep with this... :)

--Mike

darklordz(Posted 2004) [#9]
hand of god made me think of "NOD" - command and conquer...

Zenith(Posted 2004) [#10]
Red - Sometimes people just need to get a life. Here is a hint: You are one of them. :D

Tom(Posted 2004) [#11]
"Hand of God" = Maradonnas infamous handball/goal :)

Al Mackey(Posted 2004) [#12]
Wow, God's got pretty nails.

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#13]
Red: As for God needing to be represented more abstractly I agree. The piece is ultimately going to be presented on a touchscreen with no visual representation of God. Thus the participant metaphorically becomes God. This screenshot is just of the development version where I'm using a mouse and the hand is the mouse cursor; I suppose I should have ditched the hand before capturing this screenshot.

As for different people having different conceptions of God, that's sort of the point. The piece is a commentary on the apparent contradiction some people see between God (at least their conception of God) and evolution.

No such thing as being too deep when it comes to artistic conceptualization. While in general Zenith I would agree with you, in this case Red's critique makes good fodder for when I have to write an artist's statement.

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2004) [#14]
Allow users to choose the hand color :)

I would not have a problem if the hand was simply another color or shape non-representative of myself. Everyone's opinion is valid and great in my eyes. No one's wrong in their ideas or beliefs (though some actions I do think are wrong) as far as I can perceive because quite frankly there is no ultimate truth which I've witnessed thus far.

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#15]
he he, god comes along and squishes those bugs, cause he is in a bad mood
Its ok though, he is god and can build some more

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#16]
jH, BAN... don't take the post too seriously...

i was just clowning around a little...

don't let it affect your presentation any... i'm sure the audience isn't going to go over it with a fine tooth morality comb...

--Mike

Bot Builder(Posted 2004) [#17]
have the hand shift colors :P

gameproducer(Posted 2004) [#18]
Hmm - what is this game about? I assume creation? :)

(tu) sinu(Posted 2004) [#19]
'hand of man'
would be better cos we do all the messing and creation stuff, not good ol mr imaginery :)

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#20]
Actually, I assume the audience WILL go over this with a fine tooth morality comb. When I referred to this as an "art piece" in my original post I mean that I am creating this for an art class, possibly to present in a gallery setting. While I wasn't specifically asking for a crit (my post was more like showing off) the fact that you chose to crit my concept is valuable insight.

BlackJumper(Posted 2004) [#21]
{sinu} 'hand of man'

Now how many people (hint: think female) will THAT offend ???

How about the cursor is an insect penis... really get the whole 'evolution = mating' idea across ?

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#22]
Sure, because nobody would be offended by THAT.

Here's a demo to test:
www.3darteest.com/HoG.zip

Click on a bug to select it, then click on it again to kill it, or click on another bug to mate. Tell me if you experience any errors or notice the bugs exhibiting odd behavior like freezing in place. Hit Space to reset everything, hit D to toggle debug information on/off, and hit Esc to quit.

Oh, and note that this is designed to run on a specific computer with all-new hardware (ie. not distributed widely) so the system requirements are fairly high.

*(Posted 2004) [#23]
Reminds me a bit of 'Sensible massacre' =)

Pongo(Posted 2004) [#24]
Hmmm,... I was curious to see this, but it crashes (unable to set GFX mode)

P4 2.6 Gig GeForce4 256 megs ram

I'll try it on another system later.

(tu) sinu(Posted 2004) [#25]
man/men also = woMAN/woMEN.
Not sure iirc but doesn't woman/women mean man with womb? i see it that way anyway.?
The thing is any game/product which is named/based around religion can cause problems from people with different views.

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#26]
Pongo, that's probably because it is hard-coded to 1152x864 resolution, kind of an odd one which your video hardware may not support. If you can't get this working on another system and want to see it I'll post a version with a more standard resolution like 1024x768. As I mentioned, this was written just to run well on one specific system, and the system I'm using supports 1152x864.

(tu) sinu(Posted 2004) [#27]
why not just make it 1024*768 or 1280*1024 ?

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#28]
Well, on the specific system I'm running it on I can do 1152x864 and that looks better thann 1024x768. Going all the way up to 1280x1024 however kills the framerate.

Remember, this isn't designed for wide distribution, it is optimized for one specific computer.

Pongo(Posted 2004) [#29]
ok,... got to try it out on my home system,... some thoughts.

- I had a few times where a bug would get stuck in the middle of two that were headed for each other,... usually sorted out after a bit.

- I'd like to see new bugs start small, and then grow over time

- colors,... same color bugs made the same color when mixing, but different color bugs seemed to be random? It would be nice to perhaps have the new color be a set color or a mix between the two. Perhaps a white/black one would be rare and could create any color or something like that. This way the user could influence the colors over time.

That's all I can think of for now.

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#30]
Actually, the passing of traits, such as color, to offspring is all controlled by real genetics. It's completely deterministic (at least when you mate them on purpose; the sporadic automatic matings are prone to mutations so that the population will tend towards variation) but the reason it seems random to you is that the combinations aren't simple color mixing. If you want me to give you a crash course in genetics I'd be happy to, but long story short an individual mating might not yield the result you expect, but statistically (ie. over the course of many matings) the distribution of traits would probably be what you'd expect. Indeed, the whole point of the piece is that the participant CAN influence the distribution of traits in the little bug community by selective mating and killing.

The starting small thing is probably a good idea. Even though the small ones are full-grown (they're simply small bugs) people keep referring to them as babies.

As for the bugs getting stuck, yeah that happens a lot. I threw in some code so that if a bug is stuck for four seconds straight it'll stop trying to mate and go back to wandering. I'd like to avoid the effort of writing some more complicated system but if the bugs getting stuck is really bothersome I may just have to bite the bullet.