Pirate Gems - First look.

Community Forums/Showcase/Pirate Gems - First look.

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2004) [#1]

Im really just after some thoughts on the art work for this game.

The Basic gameplay is a bejeweld clone. so if you have played that game then you will know what your doing here.

Anyway let me know what you think.. thanks.

mearrin69(Posted 2004) [#2]
Looks nice. Does the island serve any purpose? Is it a part of the game?

sswift(Posted 2004) [#3]
If that's 3D, why not have the gems be semi transparent? That gem in the logo definitely needs to be semi transparent and less noisy. It looks like a big green rock. And add some specular highlights to it. Of course just specular highlights would be something at least.

Oh and the word Pirate is not beight enough. Make it as yellow as the word gems. Look at the little logo on your sig and it doesn't look as good there.

And make the hand pointer much brighter.

Maybe cut down ont he blue fog on the island some.

Looks pretty nice as is though. I mean it's not ugly or anyhting.

Oh and I might make the bottom of the chest... the background behind the gems much darker, so the gems are brighter than it.

Michael Reitzenstein(Posted 2004) [#4]
Another Bejewelled clone?! *sigh*

Warren(Posted 2004) [#5]
Another Bejewelled clone?! *sigh*

Oh STFU.

ErikT(Posted 2004) [#6]
I like the look of the islands, looks clean. Agree with sswift, the gem on top sure don't look like a steal. Why not just pre-render a semitransparent flat-shaded gem with a shiny material (no texture)?

Michael Reitzenstein(Posted 2004) [#7]
Oh STFU.

I wasn't making assumptions about it being a Bejewelled clone from the screenshots - he actually said that the gameplay was cloned from Bejewelled.

sswift(Posted 2004) [#8]
And he wasn't saying that because you incorrectly implied that it was a bejewelled clone, but rather, because you're complaining about it BEING a bejeweled clone. :-)

Michael Reitzenstein(Posted 2004) [#9]
Oh, well, in that case, why is it wrong to complain about another bejewelled clone? Yavin has a few finished games under his belt - he could well try for something more ambitious in terms of the style of game. Bejewelled clones, to compete with the original Bejewelled, have to be *insanely* well polished - it's easy to make one, but hard to make one that will sell.

Hansie(Posted 2004) [#10]
I think it looks quite nice

Warren(Posted 2004) [#11]
Oh, well, in that case, why is it wrong to complain about another bejewelled clone? Yavin has a few finished games under his belt - he could well try for something more ambitious in terms of the style of game. Bejewelled clones, to compete with the original Bejewelled, have to be *insanely* well polished - it's easy to make one, but hard to make one that will sell.

It's just this annoying trend that if someones game isn't totally original and creates an entirely new genre unto itself, someone bags on them for it.

Why does every game have to be 100% original? Why does it have to "innovate"? Why can't it just be polished and fun? Isn't that what games are supposed to be about, anyway? Fun?

And it's easy to make one? Easy?! Easy to knock off a crappy one and release it for free, sure, but if you're looking to sell it - no way.

*grumble*

Warren(Posted 2004) [#12]
And for the record, I think he has a fantastic hook going on there with the pirate theme and treasure chests. I'd bet he could make decent money from that game if he puts it out as shareware.

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2004) [#13]
First of all thanks for all the comments. Ill try and answer some of em now.

@mearrin69
If you look on the Island you will see the wee treasue chest, where you actually play the game, the Island itself is only the MENU background. somthing nice to look at while you select your options.

I have filled it with fun things to look at and watch, like little skulls that more, nuts fall from the tree's and roll into the sea. Star fish and crabs come out of the water hang about and go back in...

When you click play, the cam will zoom from the island view into the chest view and you then play the game..

@SSwift

YUP, Ill be making the gems alpha about .5 I might also be giving them a glow effect, not sure yet. and I do agree about the title.

@Michael Reitzenstein

Whats your point. look at half life or Quake you could say Oh no not another doom. They all copy the same game model and game rules as the FPS games that have past into time. I havent seen a 3D Bejeweled game yet. so why not.

Oh yeah, this was never meant to be a big project, if you must know why I decided to make this and not something new, then Ill tell you. Its actually for my Wife, she plays those crap crad games and thats about it. I know she likes this type of game so its being made for her. as for making any money from it. thats only a bonus if some one likes it enough to buy it. so I dont see it as any sort of competition to the original.

@Epicboy

Like I said making money from it will onyl be a bonus, Im glad you like the look of it..

I also agree with you in that its crap when some one makes a game, based on some other game and they get banged for it. Look at Defender ?? on PS 2 now is it not ? in some form of 3D as well.

There is also a 3D Dizzy game on the way. 3D Worms. the list is a mile long. Its gotten to the stage that even the pro's are going over old ground, for the simple reason that the age of the average gamer today has never seen some of these games so old is new if you know what i mean.

I also agree it dont matter what the game is, as long as it looks good, plays well. and is fun.

Again thanks for all of your comments. Ill take a lot of it in, and the next screen shots you see could also inlcude a playing demo.. fingers crossed.

robleong(Posted 2004) [#14]
Nice concept, Yavin.

>Another Bejewelled clone?! *sigh*

LOL! I'm also making a 3D bejewelled clone so it's not over, Michael... Why? My reason is that it's just a popular type of game, and it'll be my first puzzle game, that's why. :)

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2004) [#15]
right on robleong :P