Dukatiers multiplayer game pics

Community Forums/Showcase/Dukatiers multiplayer game pics

Jeroen(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hey!

This is the first game I programmed in Blitz - the Dukatiers, a school game project (European Masters of Arts). The client was the Starchild Foundation, a foundation who created a virtual webcommunity for long-term ill children. The game is made in 3 months (excluding conceptual phase) by a team of 5 people, 3 graphics artist.

It's a realtime multiplayer game. The game concept is to find a treasure hidden on an island. The island consists of 4 blocks and a island border, randomly selected and rotated. You can dig for a treasure, dare eachother to win or lose a piece of the treasuremap, chat using chatballoons, exchange cards to friends, and gather crystals to get tips from the wize elephant wizard (Tampa). The more you pay him, the better the tip on your inventory status will be (e.g: "move treasuremap piece A1 to C2 and it will be on the right spot"). 8 crystals will buy yourself a treasure map piece you do not own yet.

The game consists of an level editor (DukaEdit), an level aligner for the seperate blocks (dukaAlign), a client and a server.

I will post screenshots of "daring" and "puzzling", etc later, but here are some scenery pics.

Please tell me what you think of the graphics!

Tampa, the wise elephant. Console in the right bottom helps you locate players in the level and see the status.

Yay. Moving fluid!

The harbour is where you start a game.

Loading screen...

The swamp...Example of chatballoon.

Steve C ™(Posted 2004) [#2]
Looks really polished, good job :)

Bouncer(Posted 2004) [#3]
Looks really, really good. And I love the fact that this is for helping kids. I wish there were more people like you developing this kind of stuff.

Caff(Posted 2004) [#4]
Looks really good, a lot of effort has gone into this. Nice to see such a lot of variation in the models.

TheMan(Posted 2004) [#5]
Its very good artwork ...

Zenith(Posted 2004) [#6]
amazing

Kuron(Posted 2004) [#7]
Mad props dude. You win, this is the absolute best looking game I have seen made with Blitz to date! If the Blitz team doesn't use these shots to show off what can be done with Blitz, they will be making a foolish mistake. VERY good job. Thanks for reminding me how much I suck at artwork.

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#8]
nice one man, great stuff

*(Posted 2004) [#9]
Brilliant stuff :)

Dock(Posted 2004) [#10]
This looks really amazing - I love the atmosphere you've captured with the environments, and most of I like the bright colours. Very very cool! I can't wait to see more of this.

Tri|Ga|De(Posted 2004) [#11]
Nice looking game.
And in only 3 months, amazing!

Nebula(Posted 2004) [#12]
Looks nice, could be more flashy though.

Tracer(Posted 2004) [#13]
VERY cool! Love the gfx!

Brice is right, this is perfect material for marketing!

Tracer

(tu) sinu(Posted 2004) [#14]
im with everyone on this one, excellent and a showcase of blitz3d.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#15]
Great Models and very exiting concept.

Everything look very nice, the only thing I miss is any sort of Lightmapping. The Lack of this makes it a bit contrastless, looking a bit outdated, from a technical point of view. This could be a point some magazines reviewers would use to reduce their ratings.

Of course, this is the only thing that seperates this game from the big releases - from what I see so far. JMHO.

Panno(Posted 2004) [#16]
looks realy funny !

Kanati(Posted 2004) [#17]
Props.

BlitzSupport(Posted 2004) [#18]
Looks beautiful -- almost in Zelda territory! Are you able/allowed to put out a video of it in action?

Jeroen(Posted 2004) [#19]
Hey all,

Thanks for the compliments!
About the video - I tried to use a capture program but it's way too slow, I guess I need two computers to output the video signal and capture it with the other, or are there other possibilities?

@jfk: We intended to make a "Nintendo-ish" look, and therefore lightmapping would destroy that effect. Thank for the compliment

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#20]
I think this demostrates that having a team is definately the way to go, but also proves the team need to be in the same location.

Very nice BTW.

IPete2(Posted 2004) [#21]
Well,

Wonderful! The ship and dock area looks fabulous! :) It all looks fantastic - great job.

I would love to see a video of this in action.

IPete2.

joncom2000(Posted 2004) [#22]
Looks awesome. Reminds me of alot of those japanese produced RPG's with a touch of Nintendo in the character gfx.
Well done, top job :)

Steve Fash(Posted 2004) [#23]
Quality looking that mate!
Actually one of my kids was looking over my shoulder and asked me if I could get it for him...
I told him it was only for poorly children to play and he said that was good then as it would make them feel better. He's not even 4 yet bless 'im !
:D
Keep up the greatwork...

CyBeRGoth(Posted 2004) [#24]
Quite simply the best looking Blitz Game I have ever seen!

Amazing work

Wiebo(Posted 2004) [#25]
Heel mooi, Jeroen!!

Jeroen(Posted 2004) [#26]
Thanks Wiebo :-)

My personal favourite graphics (Blitz game) is Platypus (and that new one in progress)!

aCiD2(Posted 2004) [#27]
OMG!! Thats incredible!!! possibly the best bltiz game i have seen so far. again a huge amount of congratulations!

skn3(Posted 2004) [#28]
Impressive art work!

Nice cause too :)

darklordz(Posted 2004) [#29]
Damnz dude eruuuug goed!....

Rogue Vector(Posted 2004) [#30]
One of the best examples of what Blitz 3D can do.

Better than some of the work being turned-out by the big studios.

Fantastic job.

Regards,

RV

techjunkie(Posted 2004) [#31]
Stunning!! Really, really good!!

Keep up the good work!!

SurreaL(Posted 2004) [#32]
Lookin' good Jeroen! It seems there has been quite the progress since the last build you showed me :)

p.s. how did you do the networking?

simonh(Posted 2004) [#33]
Jeroen: those screenshots look superb! Is there any chance you could submit a couple of them to the gallery? You can find the gallery link underneath the 'Community' tab above.

ronbravo(Posted 2004) [#34]
I have to agree with a lot of the people on this post, This amoung when of the best games produced by Blitz. Blitz research should definatly use something like this as a promotion for the potential of Blitz Basic. Its really cool that it was developed in 3 months and to aid ill children. Too bad I wont get to play it though. Good luck to you and your team in the future, you guys really deserve it. Outstanding job.

GfK(Posted 2004) [#35]
Looks good.

You don't need lightmaps.

ronbravo(Posted 2004) [#36]
I just checked out your website and saw other projects your team is working on. They look really cool too, but are those also being made in Blitz?

LostCargo(Posted 2004) [#37]
nice

scribbla(Posted 2004) [#38]
looks like a lot of hard work..but paid off...great stuff

BlitzSupport(Posted 2004) [#39]
Jeroen, what software are you using?

You could try these (both freeware):

FRAPS: http://www.fraps.com/downloads.htm

CAMSTUDIO: http://www.ehelp.com/camstudio/product/screenrecording/

You could try making your program run at a lower resolution if it's grabbing too slowly. Also, if the resulting AVI is huge, try using VirtualDub (http://www.virtualdub.org/) to output in a different format.

I wanna see it moving! :)

Barnabius(Posted 2004) [#40]
I have full version of Fraps and it does great job in capturing game as video when using Blitz+ game. Blitz3D games don't give very good results.

Jeroen, is there a possibility to actually purchase this game with the money going towards the Starchild Foundation. I would be quite happy to pay knowing I am getting a good Blitz game and helping kids at the same time.

Barney

Mustang(Posted 2004) [#41]
Jaw droppingly good looking screenshots! Very stylish work!

gameproducer(Posted 2004) [#42]
Heh, looking excellent!

Jeroen(Posted 2004) [#43]
@James, I'm gonna check out "Fraps" and "Camstudio" asap and check if it gets a decent result.

@Barnabius: Good idea - I have to ask the client if this is possible, because the foundation itself is aiming for improving a community for the children, so the target audience are the children themselves.

@Mojokool: The website in my tag is what I do besides my studie. Those projects are not made using Blitz, but using an engine for adventure games (www.dead-code.org). The author of that engine is in our team.

@Surreal: Ofcourse, I used Blitzplay :-D

eBusiness(Posted 2004) [#44]
You could probably make the game store bitmaps itself. With an eventual slowdown.

GitTech(Posted 2004) [#45]
gaaf man!!!! :D

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#46]
Verrrrrrry nice looking :D

SopiSoft(Posted 2004) [#47]
This game looks great!!! Very polished!!!

fredborg(Posted 2004) [#48]
The elephant is great :D

Jim Teeuwen(Posted 2004) [#49]
Dat ziet er erg netjes uit! Goed werk.

ps: Project Joe looks mighty Nice!
Been a while since I saw a nice ol 2D adventure made. Hope that gets finished!

Another Q: In ur Crew list I see 'Mikel Fick'. has this guy perhaps been attending the 'Grafisch lyceum Eindhoven' a few years back? A guy in my class was called Mikel Fick..
[edit] Did some asking. and it does look like he's the guy. Send him my regards :) (hope he still remembers me tho.. been a while)

CS_TBL(Posted 2004) [#50]
Hey, I did the HKU aswell (MTt) ! Looks great, perhaps I'll do another 2 years (5 & 6) next year orso, I'll be on the watch then for other potential Blitz-users there.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#51]
hey, has anyone mentioned how great those screenies are!!!

seriously, first rate stuff... impressive.

--Mike

Paul A. B.(Posted 2004) [#52]
VERY VERY AWESOME
Now, I think i read this starchild foundation was for children with long term disablities and sicknesses.IS this only gonna be played by the starchild children, cause this game looks very cool, and my sister, who is disaled with scholiosis and arthigriposis really likes these type of games.

THIS GAME IS THE BEST ONE IVE SEEN MADE WITH BLITZ
I love the emviorments
THeyre so tropicalish

Scid(Posted 2004) [#53]
Hey CS/Boor! Long time, still playing around with Blitz? How about some music for a Blitz game? ;)

Jeroen:Cheerios to you and your team, this looks excellent!(Hopefully it plays excellent as well :)
If capturing is too slow you could try recording user-events (including timestamp) while playing real-time and then playback those events non-realtime automatically, grabbing each frame. If you run your 'physics' code at a fixed rate (say 50 times per sec) and you use your own timer function it should be easy to implement. Instead of the timer returning real-life time, it would increase by 40ms (for 25 fps video playback) after rendering each frame. If used, randomize seed states should also be saved/restored.

Shambler(Posted 2004) [#54]
@Red Ocktober yes they look nice, I can't wait to visit this place.

@Paul A.B. regards to you and your sis, this makes me think that the Blitz community could be doing something similar for those less advantaged than ourselves.

How about turning Project Plasma 2004 into a project of this kind?

Paul A. B.(Posted 2004) [#55]
ggod idea
thanx for the regards
i have no clue wat the plasma project thing is, but to have a bb community project for entertainment of the less fortunate is a very good idea

-=Darkheart=-(Posted 2004) [#56]
Looks good and a worthwhile cause, I hope you succeed. How about a commerical offering to raise funds for the charity? I think it's easily good enough and might do even more for the kids.

Darkheart

Danny(Posted 2004) [#57]
Not only does it looks cool and fresh. But it's a perfect example / lession for us on how much athmosphere can be created with minimal polygons, etc! Good inspiration!

Compliments, well done, en ga zo door!

Danny.

ErikT(Posted 2004) [#58]
Great! The cartoon-style has a real thorough design and looks like it will be a winner with the kids. Thumbs up.

Dark Soul(Posted 2004) [#59]
As a fan of the Zelda series..both 2D and 3D I have to say your graphics are on par with the best I've seen Nintendo release. Love the fact it makes even me want to explore the landscape. Can imagine how excited the children that get to play this will be. Good work and a pat on the back to you and your team.

Those of us that are about to Blitz salute you.

Dark

Anthony Flack(Posted 2004) [#60]
Looks great!

Cronos(Posted 2004) [#61]
these images of the game are incredible !!!

dwarfking(Posted 2004) [#62]
Really amazing work, absolutely sweet graphics! Congratulations. You really shouldn't hesitate to publish it in some way!

David(Posted 2004) [#63]
where i can download?? :)

Andy(Posted 2004) [#64]
I'd pay for this... Only problem is that I don't understand the language...

Andy

CodeD(Posted 2004) [#65]
lucky kids, great work...
your graphics artist are mine!!!!!
look into my eyes......look into my eyes......
you want to join CrapSoft........

http://sites.gwala.net/tormented/crapsoft

churchaxe(Posted 2004) [#66]
Hey guys, guess I'm late, no more pics show up on this thread? I wanna see em, too!!!!!!!!!