Cannon Fodder Clone

Community Forums/Showcase/Cannon Fodder Clone

rsbrowndog(Posted 2004) [#1]
All,

Inspired by a conversation on the blitzbasic IRC channel, here is the very first screenshot from my 3D version of Cannon Fodder:

All comments welcome!

Cheers,

Ryan

(tu) sinu(Posted 2004) [#2]
nice, i loved this game.

mrtricks(Posted 2004) [#3]
Me too!

Stevie G(Posted 2004) [#4]
Keep going with this - Cannon Fodder was a classic and could do with a good remake!!

sswift(Posted 2004) [#5]
Watch out, this might offend the great Stuart Campbell, master of illusion!

rsbrowndog(Posted 2004) [#6]
All,

Thanks for the comments! Don't expect to see too rapid a progress on this as I have Par FORE! to work on and that will be the priority for the next couple of months. CF will have to fit in when I am bored!

sswift,

To be honest, I'm more worried about offending you! The mouse cursor seen in the above screen is shamelessly stolen from your HUD demo but it will have to do until I can make my own far inferior version!

Cheers,

Ryan

sswift(Posted 2004) [#7]
Rs:
You can use any mouse cursor I make. I REALLY don't care. :-)

rsbrowndog(Posted 2004) [#8]
Does that mean you would make some more for me!?! ;)

Cheers,

Ryan

sswift(Posted 2004) [#9]
Noooo. :-) But there is a tank attack title screen demo somewhere with a more 2d looking black cursor with a white outline. But you'll have to find it cause I am feeling lazy right now. :-)

Sterling(Posted 2004) [#10]
This takes me back to one of my old projects....

I do still have a video of the engine in motion left on my site.
http://members.optusnet.com.au/~wwhaak/Trailer1.zip

rsbrowndog(Posted 2004) [#11]
Sterling,

I was really looking forward to that, whatever happened to it??

Cheers,

Ryan

Craig Watson(Posted 2004) [#12]
Watch out, this might offend the great Stuart Campbell, master of illusion!

I'd be surprised if he notices it given how far his head is stuck up his rear.

Great idea, and something I'd love to play again.

Skitchy(Posted 2004) [#13]
Who remembers the theme tune?

"War! Has never been so much fun,
War! Has never been so much fun,
Go up to your brother,
Kill him with your gun,
Leave him lying in his uniform
Dying in the sun."

And the great notice at the start of the game :
"This game is in no way endorsed by the Royal British Legion"

Classic Sensible Software humour.

@Sterling :
That game looks fantastic. What happened to it?

mrtricks(Posted 2004) [#14]
@ Sterling: Me too, I was looking forward to that. What happened? Mind you, I can't talk, I haven't worked on Attack of the Baddies much since I started my current project!

gameproducer(Posted 2004) [#15]
@rsbrowndog: keep it coming! :)

Sterling(Posted 2004) [#16]
I lost a whole stack of code due to my hard drive failing without any warning(silly me had no recent backup). I still have most of the media but all the map editing/generation code is gone.

I actually wasn't very happy with the map generation side of things anyway, I was planning a complete recode before the crash but still now 12 months later I haven't had the time to get around to it.

Who knows......maybe tommorow........ :)

DarkEagle(Posted 2004) [#17]
release the media ;) know you want to :P

Sterling(Posted 2004) [#18]
He he heeeeeeee......ummmmmmmm...no..... :)

rsbrowndog(Posted 2004) [#19]
Bad news peeps,

I am not going to continue with this Cannon Fodder clone.

Why? I sat down today to make a list of things I did and didn't want in the game and other additions I could make to it. What I ended up with wasn't really anything like Cannon Fodder anymore, only the viewpoint and controls were similar and they are standard for just about any RTS these days anyway.

Also, at the end of the day, I really didn't want to infringe on someone else's IP, even if the company that owns it is doing nothing with it whilst turning out tripe like "Pop Idol: The Game". Grrrrrr!

So watch this space (well, not this space really as I will probably start a new thread) for new shots of a revamped version of this engine, with new models, textures, etc.

Mind you it's not all bad news, hopefully this thread will give Sterling the nudge he needs to go back to work on Troopers, which looks, in a word, awesome. If you haven't checked out the trailer he linked to above then take a look!

Cheers,

Ryan