Vein Test

Community Forums/Showcase/Vein Test

N(Posted 2004) [#1]
Got bored and put together a quick test (very very bare) to see if Vein could be set up quickly.

http://s87776868.onlinehome.us/vein/vein-test-011504.rar

And the source code is at
http://s87776868.onlinehome.us/vein/vein-src.tar

Not much to see and it's small, so I'll just let you download it if you care. Now back to working on it.

darklordz(Posted 2004) [#2]
OMG looks great!

IPete2(Posted 2004) [#3]
Nice work Noel,

It looks good and feels slick.
Keep us posted!

IPete2.

ErikT(Posted 2004) [#4]
Nice lighting and yeah, slick.

N(Posted 2004) [#5]
Some people were complaining about the rate at which the world was updated, so I added render tweening and tacked on a few more bits and pieces. New demo...

http://s87776868.onlinehome.us/vein/vein-test-011604.rar

I'm wondering if there's any way I can toggle VSync...

Caff(Posted 2004) [#6]
Runs 62fps here. Nice, if somewhat small demo. Decent particle FX, and the mouse-smoothing is pretty good (maybe could do with higher acceleration).

There are errors in the lightmap but as this is a test, I'm pretty sure you're not that bothered by it.

Promising though, would be nice to follow this and see where it goes :)

N(Posted 2004) [#7]
The lightmap errors can be blamed on Maplet. Thanks, by the way. Forgot to thank the previous posters too, thanks t'you too. :)

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#8]
The first one works fine, but the one with render-tweening feels very jerky. I realize you always compromise a little when you add frame limiting, as letting it go full speed is always slightly smoother, but the 2nd one is actually to the point of being irritating. It feels as though my videocard isn't able to keep up ( which it evidently is. ) Have you considered delta time?

N(Posted 2004) [#9]
Nope, haven't tried it yet. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into it :)

Edit: By the way, if you find the FPS is too low, try changing the MaxFPS setting in the vein.conf

N(Posted 2004) [#10]
Here's a new EXE to test with, it disables the VSync (which was, incidentally, slowing it down quite a bit).

Also, if you find the FPS with VSync still too slow, I do recommend you change the GameSpeed setting (my mistake, MaxFPS is a redundant instruction).

http://s87776868.onlinehome.us/stuff/newExe.rar

darklordz(Posted 2004) [#11]
i liked the first test better... :(

N(Posted 2004) [#12]
W00t, Decals are in (check the source). Next up: bolts! ^_^

Man, this is so fun... :)

Uhfgood(Posted 2004) [#13]
Can you provide a .ZIP version?

N(Posted 2004) [#14]
Uhfgood: I could. But since I can't at this particular moment, go to http://rarlabs.com/download.htm and download a copy of WinRAR (assuming you're using Windows).

darklordz(Posted 2004) [#15]
Yea! Winrar Rules...

Hey noel: About the camera system, how do i isolate it cuz i realy realy realy realy like it, and ow yea did i mention i realy like it......Can i use it for other personal projects?

N(Posted 2004) [#16]
New test, with bolts (the term I continually use for 'projectiles'), is uploaded. In .zip just for you, Uhf ;)

Download at http://s87776868.onlinehome.us/vein/vein-test-011803.zip

Darklordz (And to everyone else): You're free to use any part of Vein for free in any project regardless of whether or not you intend to sell it. In other words, use whatever you want. You don't have to give me credit or anything, though that would be nice ;)

Now, to isolate it you probably want to copy *_vein.bb and *_player.bb files and modify h_vein.bb so it doesn't include any files other than c_vein.bb and h_player.bb. That would, basically, allow you to isolate it..

Creating a player is pretty self explanatory, just call CreatePlayer(..) like so:
My.Player = CreatePlayer() ;extra parameters in this order: Name$, Mass#=50 (unused), X#,Y#,Z#, PlayerHeight#

Then, in the main loop, just call, with that example in mind, 'UpdatePlayer My.Player'. You will have to call Collisions C_PLAYER,C_WORLD,2,3 after it, by the way.

Mustang(Posted 2004) [#17]
Darklordz (And to everyone else): You're free to use any part of Vein for free in any project regardless of whether or not you intend to sell it. In other words, use whatever you want. You don't have to give me credit or anything, though that would be nice ;)

I think it would need a pretty thick person to not even include you in the greetings & thanks part of the "readme" or something... :)

Great stuff, had fun with the y-scale... although it did make the movement bit tough and challenging!

N(Posted 2004) [#18]

Picture, since I'm bored out of my mind right now. Not sure what I want to work on next. A note to anyone who plans to write an engine or a game: keep a to-do list in order of priority ;)

And thanks, Mustang.

N(Posted 2004) [#19]
Working on a new test map since I eventually require something pretty to stare at.

And a quick skin I did for no reason, since I don't want to start a new thread for it..

The new map is still heavily work in progress, obviously. Slightly inspired by the map in the Singularity 3 (prior to 3.02 and 3.03) demo.

darklordz(Posted 2004) [#20]
The level looks awesome and the textures too (3dsMax?)

but the demo kina went sour, the footsteps suc. the bullets aren't all that (don't take this @ heart, it's positive critisism...)

N(Posted 2004) [#21]
Darklordz: I have a policy to not take offense to anything. From jokes and criticism to insults and death threats (I have yet to recieve any, though).

Anyhow, the textures are from a map I downloaded a long time ago for Quake 3, unfortunately I can't find the author's name anywhere yet, but eventually the textures will be replaced. As for the map, it's done in (GTK) Radiant.

Now, before I say anything else, I'd just like to mention that somehow Radiant magically thought it was a good idea to delete all of the brushes (not entities or curves). So, I've just lost about 6 hours of work. Now I'm going to have to wait to get a backup from a friend who I gave the map to.. if he hasn't deleted it already. Oh, and I did keep backups of the map, but the brushes in them are gone too. Weird...

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#22]
I downloaded the demo, vut didn't have time to test it yet - damn radiosity debugging...

This looks very promising. I don't plan to use your engine for some reason :) but I'd say you should work on a NPC Bot system. And a pickable-Item system. Those things make a game engine out of a walktrough demo quickly.
Drop tweening, try delta_t IMHO. That said - I'll test it asap :)

Uhfgood(Posted 2004) [#23]
I don't feel like adding yet another extraction program to my system. So really it's your loss (if you could even call it that, you probably don't care if I take a look at your engine) that screenie looks neat though

N(Posted 2004) [#24]
Mmmhmm. Just so you know, Uhf, I did provide a .zip version of the demo ;)

Jfk: You wouldn't happen to have any articles on delta timing, would you? I'll be searching, of course, but if you have any right at hand that'd be good. I'll try my hand at pickable items, since I'm the devil when it comes to AI ;)

Uhfgood(Posted 2004) [#25]
Didn't notice the zip link up there before i posted, sorry about that. It looks excellent... I want to see a game now :-D

I would prefer the level to look brighter, however that's just a personal opinion, not to mention colored by the fact that my display is always darker than everyone elses. But good job.

btw, if you ever decided to let it be used for free, let me know ;-)

N(Posted 2004) [#26]
All of the source code is also available under the GNU GPL, Uhf ;) A .zip version is available at http://s87776868.onlinehome.us/vein/vein-src.zip

I haven't included the license with the source code yet because I'm too lazy ;)

Uhfgood(Posted 2004) [#27]
GPL - oh well... at least it looks nice ;-)

Keith

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#28]
There isn't much to say about delta time.

Basicly you run the game at the users vsync rate. using one simple Flip true. You are measuring the time it took for one frame. this time is now a multiplyer for every kind of motion. It seems like a big lot of work, but it's not.

The best thing on it is Animated meshes: simply use delta_t as the Parameter for Updateworld, and all Animations are working relative to the current framerate. This is really great.

Example:
tt=millisecs()-17
while not keydown(1)
 ; player controls etc
 ; eg:
 if keydown(208) then moveentity player,0,0,1*delta_t#
 ;
 tt2#=millisecs()-tt
 tt=millisecs()
 delta_t#=tt2/16.667 ; the slower the machine, the higher the multiplyer delta_t
 ; you might limit delta_t here to reasonable values, sort 
 ; out spikes which can result from machine pauses
 Updateworld(delta_t#)
 renderworld()
 flip
wend

N(Posted 2004) [#29]
jfk: Interesting.. Might be a big lot of work, depends how many times files I have to modify (there are at most 20 I'd have to change- I expect a good deal of them won't require changing). Thanks for the quick explanation, definitely helpful. :)

Uhf: Thanks. I guess you wanted to use it without releasing the source? ;)

We can always work out an agreement if so ;)

Uhfgood(Posted 2004) [#30]
heh, i'm just harassing you. I probably won't use it, mostly because i'm new to 3d, in fact so new, i haven't even really done anything in it. and i'm learning...

Anyways, if i learn enough, and feel it's easy enough maybe i'll use vein in the future :-)