NANO first action

Community Forums/Showcase/NANO first action

Bouncer(Posted 2004) [#1]
Here's the first playable test of NANO....
Just two players can shoot eachother with a basic machinegun.
There's also exploding cells and I also added render tweening.
Check it out.

And please all who try it ... post if it works / doesn't work. I really need to know. And you can also tell me how it runs and is it playable... are the controls fine etc...

But at least tell me that it works. Thanks.

CONTROLS:
PL1 Arrow keys + right ctrl
PL2 w,a,s,d + left shft

www.kotiposti.net/naama/nanotesttween.zip

ErikT(Posted 2004) [#2]
It works fine here. No slowdowns. As a big TurboRaketti fan I think the ship-blob thing response is a bit slow and sluggish. Fast responses make for more intensity in gameplay. It's also a bit hard to keep a good aim on the other player, the aim slowly glides out of position. This is all personal preference, tho'. The concept's great and well executed with the cell-things slowly floating by and the physics on whatever it is that's hanging down from the walls. Very cool.

What kind of other levels do you plan to include (fighting it out inside the heart, ear, testicles, whatever)?

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#3]
Again man, this is awesome. Amazing physics! That's whats makes his game really stand out :) I love it :D No bugs that iv'e found yet. I'm sure your aware of the search light sprite or quad going thru the scenary. :)

Very nice :D

ErikT(Posted 2004) [#4]
Just tried it out with my roommate and, erm, changed my mind about the controls, they work really well. And agree on the physics, they're extreme!

Dr Derek Doctors(Posted 2004) [#5]
Love the look and setting, *loathe* the control - or rather the fact that you thrust when you turn more specifically. Looking forward to seeing how the game evolves!

Bouncer(Posted 2004) [#6]
Derek: Updated download. Tweaked the controls abit...now they're more responsive. Also now the ship turns on it's place when just turning.

Bot Builder(Posted 2004) [#7]
how about adding the back arrow to move backwards. could be slower than going forward if you like. Also, how about making the machinegun a bit less random. maybe 50-75% of the spread it is now. My other little thing I think would be *very* cool would be to have your player squish around a little bit. not as much as the cells, but enough to be noticed while maintaining control stability.

Like the explosion fx :)

Panno(Posted 2004) [#8]
@erik thorn !

hear much about turboraketi but never seen the game or a screeny i wars only an amiga game or ?

my friends are big fans an i never seen the game :(

Bouncer(Posted 2004) [#9]
PANNO: Yes... it was only for amiga... on Amiga 500 days.
It was made by Heikki Kosola, if I remember correctly.

Dr Derek Doctors(Posted 2004) [#10]
Far prefer it now, although I'd prefer it if the rotation slowed down a little faster after key release as it's very easy to overshoot at the moment (especially if you're trying to nose a block around to carry it somewhere). Although if you're having multiple craft type then this might be something which varies between then with a nice Handling/Armour/Weapon tradeoff.

Bouncer(Posted 2004) [#11]
UPDATE:

- Added a third player... controlled by mouse.

mouse left / right ... steer
left mouse ... thrust
right mouse ... shoot

- Again bettered controls (hope so)... try this one ... sharper handling.
- 3rd player shoots homing missiles...
- fixed some bugs

www.kotiposti.net/naama/nanotesttween.zip

po(Posted 2004) [#12]
Awwww man! I am still getting the same problem as last time.
It says on a fancy screen: (Generating collisionmaps - Please wait)
But for a split second when I pressed Esc, I swear I saw a different screen.

Bouncer(Posted 2004) [#13]
po: Good news... I found one machine near me what did the same thing with the game... I'm getting the machine to home on weekend so I can nail this bug for good.

Hopefully you and BAN300 get to try it out then... ;)

po(Posted 2004) [#14]
Good! The screens look great!

Dr Derek Doctors(Posted 2004) [#15]
Far nicer handling, now! Is the whole game set in gooey blood-vesselley settings then?

Bouncer(Posted 2004) [#16]
Yep... but there will be different locations (like brains, stomach, kidneys and places that don't even exist :) and lot's of different kind of objects... I have a good guy working with the gfx.

Dr Derek Doctors(Posted 2004) [#17]
Hurrah! Will there be a single player mode at all like Thrust or Grav or is it purely multiplayer?

Bouncer(Posted 2004) [#18]
There will be cpu players. Single player might be implemented with some missions, but I'm mainly concentrating on the multiplayer.

eBusiness(Posted 2004) [#19]
The yellow lines of the font image are visible on some of the particles in the game, otherwise it's great.

meemoe_uk(Posted 2004) [#20]
It works.
What physics library are you using? IT ROCKS!

gameproducer(Posted 2004) [#21]
Looking superb! :)

Bouncer(Posted 2004) [#22]
meemoe_uk:
My own... written 100% on blitz. It's an implementation of an verlet integrated mass-spring system.

Physt(Posted 2004) [#23]
That's one unique looking and play game! Keep going. I've never seen anything like it.

Kanati(Posted 2004) [#24]
verlet integrated mass-spring system

Sounds like something they use on star trek to beat back the matter/antimatter overloading framistatz hojibbit... :)

You 3D people just blow my mind sometimes. Makes me glad I'm stickin with 2D. My poor little brain just couldn't handle all that stuff. :)