Virus - (New update - please test)

Community Forums/Showcase/Virus - (New update - please test)

Stevie G(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hi,

http://mysite.freeserve.com/peepandguinnie/virus_remake.zip

To those who tried to download this and got a memory access violation - I would appreciate if you could check if this one works for you. No-one on Blitzcoder had this problem with the last version? I have put some error handling in there just incase.

New version includes radars & a couple of new ships - see previous thread for controls.

Again, all feedback welcome.

Cheers
Stevie

ErikT(Posted 2004) [#2]
It works but I didn't understand much of what was going on. How about some more explanation on how to control the ship? I can't turn up and down for one.

Stevie G(Posted 2004) [#3]
I did mention to see previous thread for controls but here you are :-

F5 changes controls from Mouse / Joystick / Demo
F1/F2 Swap Tracked object
Space - Fire missile
P/O Pause unpause

Mouse Pitch/Yaw
Left Button - thrust
Right Button - fire

Left Analogue Pitch/Yaw
x - thrust
R1 - fire
R2 - missile

Hope this helps.

ErikT(Posted 2004) [#4]
Ah, I did look but didn't realize at first the rockets were under the ship, caused some confusion. The nose won't lift above horizontal level tho'.

Beeps(Posted 2004) [#5]
Ahhhhh the memories :) You're steaming ahead with this one, it's great.

One question... I couldn't see the terrain, have you coded it yet or should it all be black except particle effects?

AMD Athlon 1.5gig 1gig ram 64mb gf4

Stevie G(Posted 2004) [#6]
I guess your using windowed mode - use fullscreen and you'll see it. I'll need to fix this - nto sure why it happens.

mrtricks(Posted 2004) [#7]
I think it's looking great.

ErikT(Posted 2004) [#8]
Yeah, running in fullscreen made a big difference. Now that I see the terrain I think it looks and feels very nice. I like the vector style flat shading.

Beeps(Posted 2004) [#9]
heh, should have tried in in fullscreen first :) Actually I had the same problem when I was playing around with dynamic mesh creation for terrains. Never did find out why it happens :/

Big&(Posted 2004) [#10]
I still get a memory access violation in both fullscreen and windowed. It gets to playing the wind noise then drops out.

Works great at work (Win2k) and played really well.

maverick(Posted 2004) [#11]
Memory access violation yet again

Stevie G(Posted 2004) [#12]
Maverick, quite a few people have downloaded the demo from Blitzcoder and no-one has reported the same problem - maybe some did but didn't tell me. I can't understand why this happens on some setups (I'm using XP Pro) and not others though and it's quite frustrating. I have checked through the code countless times and it's pretty solid so I'm not sure what else I can do now.

Stevie.

Wiebo(Posted 2004) [#13]
Awesome! Virus was one of my favourites and this is done splendidly... I would like to see more of the landscape though!

Bouncer(Posted 2004) [#14]
I also get memory access violation...
I have WinXP Pro on Athlon 1800xp and radeon 9600pro

Vorderman(Posted 2004) [#15]
It works just fine for me.

Stevie - mouse controls are OK, but you can't pull the craft back past horizontal, which makes it hard to slow down. The original controls give you full 360 degree motion in any direction you want, and I think my GL demo did to.

Any chance you could change it?

Stevie G(Posted 2004) [#16]
@Vorderman - I've been playing with the Atari ST version on the Steem Engine emulator as a basis for the remake and the max / min pitch angle (0-180) is correct. You could never thrust backwards - just had to swing round and thrust in the opposite direction.

Wiebo(Posted 2004) [#17]
Stevie: I agree it will impact the gameplay a bit, but as the old 8bit version cut the landscape short because of procesor power, why no try to free the game of that limit, and see what you can do with it? Lovely demo though, I love flying around the landscape shooting stuff! .. but that's just me =]

Yan(Posted 2004) [#18]
I'm sure you had 360 degrees of motion in Zarch. They may have simplified the controls for joystick use in other versions.

I'd prefer full range of movement too. Perhaps you could have it as an option?

Top stuff so far BTW :o)

[edit]
Just fired up redsquirrel and you can't fly backwards. In fact, the controls are much more cumbersome than I recall (I must be going senile).

Can we have the full movement option anyway ;o)
[/edit]

YAN

Stevie G(Posted 2004) [#19]
Sorry but I don't agree - the original control system on both virus and zarch was like so - if the mouse was centred then your thrusters would be pointing directly down making it easier for landings. The further you moved the mouse from the centre the more your ship titled downward until eventually being upside down. The yaw angle was based on the mouse position in relation to the centre. It was therefore impossible to raise your nose. I can add this as an option for those that disagree but I think it'd be totally unplayable.

Yan(Posted 2004) [#20]
Ahh...You must have posted whilst I was editing my previous post :o)

I don't know about it being unplayable. Vorderman's GLZarch plays well.

It's entirely up to you of course, but an option would be nice (for those of us with failing memories) :o)

YAN

Stevie G(Posted 2004) [#21]
I will add an option then. What's redquirrel by the way?

Yan(Posted 2004) [#22]
It's an Archimedes emulator (a damned fine one too!)...

http://www.red-squirrel.org/

Cheers for the option.

YAN

eBusiness(Posted 2004) [#23]
Hmmm, how are you supposed to aim at anything?

Stevie G(Posted 2004) [#24]
A bit vague eBusiness ... what exactly do you mean? Are you running in full screen?

eBusiness(Posted 2004) [#25]
Yes, I mean you can't tell if you are aiming at a target or not, I don't like the view.

Dr Derek Doctors(Posted 2004) [#26]
Actually, that's one thing I'd love - a laser sight which shots where your ship is pointed at.

Stevie G(Posted 2004) [#27]
That's how the original looked so I won't be changing this I'm afraid - sorry you don't like it.

All the ships are roughly the same size so you get used to where they are in relation to your ship after a bit of practice. You can also tell their general direction by the shadows when your close to the ground or by using the radar. It takes a bit of skill I admit but it was never meant to be an easy game.

maverick(Posted 2004) [#28]
just get rid of the mem access violation and i`d be happy ; lol

koekjesbaby(Posted 2004) [#29]
stevie g: i'm really sorry but it still gives me the regular error. nothing changed since the last version: i select a screen mode -> black screen -> mem. acc. violation (i still hear the atmospheric noise btw).

my system is an amd ath. 3000+ with a radeon 9800pro.

Vorderman(Posted 2004) [#30]
Glad to hear you're adding the 360 degree control as an option. The original Archimedes version had full 360 spin control, as in my demo - I played it for hours and hours so I know it pretty well.

After a while the entire level got bombarded by an asteroid storm to try and limit your playing time. You could always dodge the asteroids though - tricky but possible.

I never had the full version on the Arch, but it didn't really add much I don't think, all the enemy ships were present in the demo.

The Amiga and ST versions may well have had a mouse limiter to stop you pitching past 180...it's such a long time ago I don't really recall.

Please do add it as an option though - you can pull off some amazing flips and rolls with that freedom, and once you get used to it it makes the game much more intuitive to control and play.

Stevie G(Posted 2004) [#31]
@ Yan - I just downloaded the archie emulator but I'm not sure what else I need and how to get a copy of zarch/lander. It says not to use XP unzip for some reason. I'd like to see it in action as I never played it on this machine and it'd give me an idea how this 360 degree stuff is implemented.

If there aren't alot of file to get everything working could you e-mail me them please? I don't need the original floppy version do I?

@ Dr DD I'll look at some form of laser sight as an option.

@ Koekjesbaby / Maverick - If I knew what the problem was at your end I'd fix it .. sorry.

Craig Watson(Posted 2004) [#32]
Worked fine here.

It's just as hard as I remember it being :P

Very good work thus far.

Yan(Posted 2004) [#33]
E-mail address Stevie?

YAN

Stevie G(Posted 2004) [#34]
That would help ... stevie.goodwin@... .. thought it was on my profile.

Thanks v much Yan.

Stevie

JBR(Posted 2004) [#35]
Hello,

For those still getting the Memory Access Violation error with the wind sound then try this.

Unzip the files as usual then:-
1) Right Click on the virus_remake.exe (application) file.
2) Then Click Properties.
3) Select 'Compatibility' tab at the top.
4) Then Tick the box in compatibility mode area.
5) Click Apply then Click OK.

It should run as wanted.
Marg

(Windows XP with Radeon 9800Pro)
P.S. does anyone know why this is required?

Stevie G(Posted 2004) [#36]
Cheers Marg - hopefully this will work.

The problem may actually be an entity referenced by a float - doh!! Didn't notice this until recently and after extended plan.

To those who are interested I'm almost finished now. Front end is done and working on the last levels atm - probably will be done in a week or so.

As suggested though I've added a chase cam option (behind ship), targeting system and a bigger FOV option. Even got the sea monster in there now.

I played the Archimedes version thanks to Yan and found the EGA PC version on the web - there is definately no 360 degree movement on either. I did try and implement this but it was impossible to land and refuel so I'm probably going to leave it out unless someone can suggest a way of making it work.

P.S. @ Marg - can I send you the final version to upload when it's done?

JBR(Posted 2004) [#37]
Yes, no probs, looking forward to playing it.
Marg

scribbla(Posted 2004) [#38]
marg has got it sussed .....change the compatibility mode
it worked fine for me....
my specs: winxp, radeon 9700

BlitzSupport(Posted 2004) [#39]
That really shouldn't be necessary, though -- a Blitz program should 'just work'... and I get the crash here, in any display mode (windowed/full). Any chance of an update with that float handle fixed, to see if that was it? I wanna try this!

napole0n(Posted 2004) [#40]
Very good. On my computer at work (P4 2Ghz, nVidia Quadro2 Pro) it doesn't run very well though, very low framerate. But that might be because I run some other apps in the background. On my home machine (P4 2.7 Ghz, nVidia GeForce 4 MX 440) it runs beautifully.

simonh(Posted 2004) [#41]
Get the error here too.