The Mist - beat'em'up test drive

Community Forums/Showcase/The Mist - beat'em'up test drive

ErikT(Posted 2004) [#1]
I'm releasing a small beta demo of my kung fu game for testing. It's not a full demo, I'm saving that for later when it's a bit more bugfree and feature-complete. What I'd like you kind lot to do, is to do a few tests for me.

What I need you to do:

Run the demo in all available resolutions and both bitdepths, and tell me what fps you get (rough average) as well as system specs.

To check if there are any visible slowdowns when attacking the other player, either with airborne attacks or ground attacks (player controls explanation within the readme file).

To see if you can spot any other bugs.

Link below: (8 mb download)

http://arcanemagic.com/ErikThon/0.6alpha.zip

Big thanks to AshMantle for lending me webspace and to turtle1776 for doing the Extended Blitz lib.

Doggie(Posted 2004) [#2]
I ran it in all the resolutions and bit depth and it ran the same from 53 to 71 fps in all of them.
Nice crisp graphics and smooth character movement.

P4 2.something ghz -512mb ram - GeForce4 MX 64mb

(tu) sinu(Posted 2004) [#3]
sweet man, been waiting on this after seeing the shots in the gallery, i'll post what i get when i try it.

Bouncer(Posted 2004) [#4]
Downloading now... I have also been looking forward to this... comments later.

ErikT(Posted 2004) [#5]
Keep in mind it's just a small test for now, so don't expect the world =|

Bouncer(Posted 2004) [#6]
Just tested it.... feels great, although I had a little trouble finding the keys.

I love the gfx, ecspecially the beautiful characters and animation. Also the collisions felt good.

Now that I think about it ... the graphics really remind me of a fighting game on A1200. The theme in the game was not similar, but the gfx style was just like in this one. Can't remember the name though.

Also the random noise added greatly to the oldish athmosphere.

[edited] ahhhh... missed the radme file... :)

Top stuff.

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2004) [#7]
Bah was gona download it but then say it was a rar file.:/

Bouncer(Posted 2004) [#8]
Yavin: Stop whining and get winrar... who the **** cares if its rar or zip.

Caff(Posted 2004) [#9]
Seemed fine to me, everything worked. Then again my new PC is top of the range, so everything works :/

Nice Gfx, looks good.

ErikT(Posted 2004) [#10]
Caff:
Yeah, I'm concerned about the current collision detection code since it slows down bad on my comp in 32-bit mode. So I was curious if this happened to others too. But if your computer's mean enough, any eventual slowdown wouldn't show regardless of course.

Yavin:
Sorry about the file format, I'll see if I can put up a zip file instead.

Bouncer:
Glad you like what you see so far. I'm trying hard to capture that good ole Hong Kong magic with the noise and cheesy sound effects etc. That amiga game you talk about wouldn't be Capital Punishment would it?

Thanks for testing, people! Much appreciated. :)

Sledge(Posted 2004) [#11]
I'd appreciate zip too :)

ErikT(Posted 2004) [#12]
Just updated the link above to a brand new zip file. Go see.

googlemesilly(Posted 2004) [#13]
yay for zip ! ~ downloading ...

-=Darkheart=-(Posted 2004) [#14]
Yavin and others, go here:

http://www.7-zip.org/

Download and install, it's free, it works for all formats (RAR,ZIP,Ace etc.), it's native compression is better than zip or Rar.

Darkheart

googlemesilly(Posted 2004) [#15]
cool! ~ thanks !

Bouncer(Posted 2004) [#16]
Erik Thon: YES.. that's it... Capital Punishment... That was some cool looking game on Amiga. There were monsters and that chick with sexy...mmm... nipples.

The art style in your game looks very similar to that. I just love 2D style over any 3D fighting.

Anthony Flack(Posted 2004) [#17]
Problem here - characters appear totally black except for player 2 walking/standing.

P4 1.4Ghz, 256Mb RAM, 64Mb geForce2.

And just on the side, I do think this game requires far too many buttons.

ErikT(Posted 2004) [#18]
Hmm, that's not good. You rig's very similar to mine, I also got a geforce2 with 64mb and it works no sweat here. The 3D mode needs some good optimising, now it uses 256x256 sprites for characters(!), but it should still work on your machine. Does it happen with all settings?

The button thing is a headache :/ I need players to move up and down since more than two people can be having it out at the same time. How about a 'locking' button which, when held, causes the character to move up/down instead of jumping/crouching? I might also combine the two punch/kick buttons into one.

Anthony Flack(Posted 2004) [#19]
In 16 bit mode, or any res other than 640x480, *ALL* characters appear black!

Background and other stuff appear fine. Very weird.

About the buttons... yeah, I know, it's a pain isn't it? I wish PCs came with gamepads as standard.

Here's an idea - combine both punch/kicks if you can. Make up and down arrow keys used for walking up and down. And combine jump and crouch into one button - the way this works is, if you hold it down, you crouch, but if you only press it for a very short time, when you release it you spring into a jump. I saw it in a snes game once and it actually worked better than you'd think.

ErikT(Posted 2004) [#20]
Does that mean black as in big black boxes or masked characters with all colours set to 0,0,0?

Punch'n'kicks can't be combined, there's just too many moves and I want to give the player as much flexibility as possible when it comes to choosing attack patterns and stringing moves together. But the jump/crouch button is a good idea. Only possible problem I see is that jumps and crouches might not be executed fast enough. I'll give it a try.

Sir Felgar(Posted 2004) [#21]
Erik, Regarding the black sprites - I had a similar problem in my Might & Magic Tribute demo. A number of users reported that the NPCs etc. were all completely black. The NPCs in my game are simply 2D masked sprites set to face the camera.

For an example screenshot of the problem see this post:

http://www.mmt.34sp.com/mmtforums/index.php?showtopic=464

I looked into it and I seemed to get the problem to go away by disabling the light I was using to add a bit of shading to the terrain & models. I don't know why this worked though. Are you using any lights in your game? (not had a chance to look at it yet)

I never raised this as a bug because I figured it was probably something I was doing wrong. Perhaps it is worth raising after all?

ErikT(Posted 2004) [#22]
No lights, it's all (3D-accelerated) 2D.

Uhfgood(Posted 2004) [#23]
screenshots?

ErikT(Posted 2004) [#24]
Here's a screenshot from the demo:

www.arcanemagic.com/ErikThon/1.jpg

googlemesilly(Posted 2004) [#25]
yeah i got the black sprites too
i'm also using 16 bit mode ...
i can see the energy bars and the two faces
near the energy bar but the rest is black :(
i can move the characters though and they move
really smooth and nicely ... just saw the proper screenshots you posted ! looks good !

Anthony Flack(Posted 2004) [#26]
Yep, it looks just like the Might and Magic shot - masked correctly but all black.

ErikT(Posted 2004) [#27]
Ok, thanks for the help. I'll ask turtle1776 if this could be a userlib bug. Dll stuff is a bit beyond my primitive coding skills :o(

Uhfgood(Posted 2004) [#28]
looks good, no time to test though...

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2004) [#29]
Iv had a bash at it. I must say its looking like the best beat-em up done in blitz. iv seen.

But hay its the only one iv seen ;)

Nah really though its looking good, thanks for converting to zip and I look forward to seeing how far you take this.

ErikT(Posted 2004) [#30]
Thankew. :)

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#31]
Runs fine for me (at least in 32bit mode 800x600, haven't tried any others). Looks good (not so sure about the controls), the background seems to very slightly flicker like it's swapping between two almost identical images.

(tu) sinu(Posted 2004) [#32]
runs at a locked 59fps on the default settings using
650mhz athlon
256mb ram
gf1 32mb ddr

ErikT(Posted 2004) [#33]

not so sure about the controls

They suck hard! :) I've changed them into a 3-button setup which will be fully customisable.

sinu:
Nice to see it runs smooth on older computers.

(tu) sinu(Posted 2004) [#34]
i hope it's
a punch button
a kick
and a move button - when held, jump turns into move upto screen and crouch becomes move down screen.

ErikT(Posted 2004) [#35]
sinu:
Right on.

Anthony Flack & Sunshine Dreamer:
If you're still around, I'd be real grateful if you could e-mail me a screenshot of the black sprites in action along with your system specs. My e-mail is below:

le_gimp@...

ErikT(Posted 2004) [#36]
Um, now that wasn't exactly the intended signal I wanted to link to my game :D It's just a work title though, so there's no worry.

(tu) sinu(Posted 2004) [#37]
nothing wrong if you kept it as a name, i like it.
Maybe something like
The mist: warriors dream etc.