Another Life - accepting signups

Community Forums/Showcase/Another Life - accepting signups

Rottbott(Posted 2004) [#1]
Only four months in development, and I think it's coming along quite nicely! Another Life is my MMORPG, which is just about to enter open testing.

So you can download and play it right now. There are also screenshots available on the website - the link is in my signature.

I need as many people as possible to download it and play. It would also be very helpful if you could sign up to the mailing list (see the About section on the website), giving your PC specifications. Bug reports go to rottbott@....

Have fun!

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#2]
Wow, looks cool! where do you get these pro-looking characters from?

Good to see picassos evil grin horse again :)

I cannot test it right now, sorry, maybe later. BTW how many megabytes is the download?

Rottbott(Posted 2004) [#3]
Tranz did those characters, I think they're great! I'm hoping he'll do some more at some point, but he's busy doing other projects at the moment.

The download is 10 MB... about 40 minutes over 56k.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#4]
Tranz is pretty good on modeling :). I have no 3D on this machine.
Something completely diffrent -
Are you still together with your girlfriend? Maybe she sould join in and act as a teaser - I guess masses of beta testers would immediately flood the login :)

Caff(Posted 2004) [#5]
Hehe, this is funny.

I liked the controls, really intuitive. I like the store traders too, made me laugh. Unfortunately no-one was there when I logged on :(

I couldn't find a horsey to ride. I did find a secret tunnel in the castle, but kept falling so perhaps there's a buglet there.

Will try again tomorrow if more people are on :D

ckob(Posted 2004) [#6]
lots of potential in this one :)

glad to see a couple mmorpg's popping up that actually contain some content

gameproducer(Posted 2004) [#7]
Heh, yeah cool! :)

Maybe put some more thought on those controls... I mean - they are a bit complex.

Rottbott(Posted 2004) [#8]
Thanks for the feedback all.

JFK, yep, still with Lucy. Maybe I should sneak a picture of her into the screenshots section :-)

Caff, horses are in the Green Forest, and there's some in Tilbury Town. Well done for finding the tunnel... sorry about falling through. It's a problem with Blitz's dodgy collision, but I'm going to re-make the tunnel and frost cavern from scratch to stop it happening. I guess you never made it as far as the Frigid Plateau then huh?

Morphecy, hmmm. Caff likes the controls, you don't. Can you elaborate? I know the traders really need to have a "close" button (not obvious you have to press I). But anything else? I think I'll need more feedback on this one so I can improve it.

One last thing: There aren't many testers yet, or at least, there are, but they're all in different timezones. So it's quite likely nobody will be on, as you found Caff. I suggest people keep trying over the next week or so, and hopefully as the amount of people picks up there should start to be players logged in most of the time.

Oh, and watch out for updates - I should be putting one out every day or so starting tomorrow, adding new things to the game! :-)

ckob(Posted 2004) [#9]
I thought the controls were fine detailed in game help system would be awesome. I emailed you with some questions about the game rottbott so watch for that :)

I think the horse's could use a little work www.binary-people.com sells an awesome horse pack if your intrested

RepeatUntil(Posted 2004) [#10]
Hi,

I have tested your game, but it crashed 4 times out of 5, saying "serious error - object deleted" or similar! What's happen here?
OK, i have a very old configuration: 433 MHz.

RepeatUntil.

Caff(Posted 2004) [#11]
I had another go today. I met some bloke called Kerak who didn't look as slick as I did. Found a horse too which I rode around on for ages until I fell through the floor again.

Apart from the floor collisions and the problems other people are getting, it seems to work pretty well! I'll go back again tomorrow >:D

Rottbott(Posted 2004) [#12]
OK. I'm noticing a definite pattern with the "Player object deleted" problem - seems to happen much more frequently on slower PCs. That ought to be a clue.

I'll get to work on tracking that bugger down!

Isaac P(Posted 2004) [#13]
Tilbury town heh,

In lanzarote atm so cant test. hope its not a remake of its real life counterpart.. I dont live too far from tilbury :P

Rottbott(Posted 2004) [#14]
I used to live in Grays. Luckily, the Tilbury Town in the game is nothing like the real Tilbury. I just named it that to see if anyone would notice :-)

Caff(Posted 2004) [#15]
This game has fulfilled my life-long fantasy of sitting on a pink horse, wearing a Girl Power t-shirt and waving a big chopper around.

Rottbott(Posted 2004) [#16]
Screenshot says it all really :D

Tranz(Posted 2004) [#17]
<sigh>

That was MY life-long fantasy...guess I'll have to find another life-long fantasy now.

King Dave(Posted 2004) [#18]
Poor tranz, lol

Rottbott(Posted 2004) [#19]
I've just put up the update to 1.17. This fixes all the bugs that have been reported, and adds some new stuff.

Orca(Posted 2004) [#20]
A bunch of us from #blitzcoder were playing last night.

It was pretty fun with all of us running around n stuff. :D

My big huge gigantic gripe is the camera -- is there anyway to make it just align to whatever your looking at? It was *really* frustrating to have to keep manually turning the camera.

also-- why not just have a button on screen, that you can click on to attack? (kinda like everquest.) trying to chase something and attack it is a huge chore(esp combined with having to keep rotating the camera to find your target)

Anyways, keep up the good work ;)

P.S. You can stand on peoples heads :D

Rottbott(Posted 2004) [#21]
It was pretty fun with all of us running around n stuff. :D

Good :-)

My big huge gigantic gripe is the camera -- is there anyway to make it just align to whatever your looking at? It was *really* frustrating to have to keep manually turning the camera.

Trouble is with point & click like this, if the camera turns with the player, it can cause some flicking around. I'll be fiddling with the camera for the next update though!

also-- why not just have a button on screen, that you can click on to attack? (kinda like everquest.) trying to chase something and attack it is a huge chore(esp combined with having to keep rotating the camera to find your target)

Not quite sure what you mean there. I've never played Everquest. It should get better with a better camera though?

Anyways, keep up the good work ;)

Certainly.

P.S. You can stand on peoples heads :D

I know. I'm certainly not going to "fix" that one. :-)

Tonight should see the introduction of an auto-update system which should make the whole thing a lot more user-friendly.