FreeWorld - Accepting signups

Community Forums/Showcase/FreeWorld - Accepting signups

King Dave(Posted 2004) [#1]
I'm going to send this in as news anyway, but wanted to post it on the forums too so you could make comments if they want :)

FreeWorld Online (a MMORPG being made in BlitzBasic3D) is now accepting signups into testing of the game.
Signups will be able to participate in the next phase of testing starting on the 17th of January.

The team has worked hard over the last phase to add numerous new features and many additions to the already extensive game content.
We've seen the addition of:
+More character adjustment such as height and weight
+Dual handed and double handed weapons
+Food, drink and alcohol
+Camping gear for adventurers on the move
+Levelling pets
+Safe trading between players
+New in-game help system
+Almost doubled the number of items to over 500 (weapons, armour, monster drops, etc)
+Almost 20 new monsters/NPCs and improvements to existing one
+New quests
+Music re-mastered and added to

Preview of the new race being added for the start of the phase

If you want to read more about the game visit the official site at www.freeworldonline.com
To read more about what was added last phase; read the review of phase 6
More screenshots can be viewed at www.freeworldonline.com/sshots.php

You can signup to test the game for the 17th at www.freeworldonline.com/signup.php (no signups will be accepted after the 15th of January, first come, first served basis)

Thanks for reading!
The FreeWorld Team

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#2]
this is looking better and better. it became a pretty complex project.

Rottbott(Posted 2004) [#3]
Ha ha, Another Life will be out for open BETA tomorrow! I beat you! AhahahahahaHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
*ahem*

Anyway, it looks like it's come on a LONG way since the version I played a long time ago. Another Life still has plenty of catching up to do :)

How does it play over 56k? (Hey, that rhymes!)

King Dave(Posted 2004) [#4]
It plays fine over 56k :) just downloading the install might take a while, although we're splitting it up into 2 installs this time (seperate one for music which isn't essential)

Rottbott(Posted 2004) [#5]
That's what I was planning to do with mine actually - the music tends to be the bulk of the download.

/me signs up

I'm only signing up to see what you've got that I haven't yet :-)

King Dave(Posted 2004) [#6]
Yup, music on its own is about 50mb... last phase the entire install was 58mb (How to kill your bandwidth in a day)... dread to think this phase :)

Only 3 days till signups end!

Rottbott(Posted 2004) [#7]
I'm not going to be able to download that much.

Do you have a way to provide the download in seperate 10 MB sections or something?

I thought AL was bad at 10 MB :-\

King Dave(Posted 2004) [#8]
The minimum install (excluding music) will be roughly 30mb, be able to tell u for sure later today as I'm making them today.

We do provide at least a couple of sites to download from, and we highly recommend using a download manager.

King Dave(Posted 2004) [#9]
For anyone who wants to know

Full install = 85.3MB
Min install (no music) = 41.8MB
Music pack = 43.5MB

Everyone who signed up will get the download links soon (our mirror hosts will be uploading them soon to their sites)

Signups close in only a few hours :)

Tranz(Posted 2004) [#10]
My new life-long dream is to finish downloading that 85 meg monster!!

Rottbott(Posted 2004) [#11]
I think I'll be getting someone else to download that for me, and mail me it on CD :-)

Aaaah, soon my team of MMORPG-spies will descend on FreeWorld and tell me all the ideas I need to steal :D

King Dave(Posted 2004) [#12]
lol

Well the emails have now been sent out, if anyone didn't get theres a copy is available here

Tranz(Posted 2004) [#13]
"soon my team of MMORPG-spies will descend on FreeWorld and tell me all the ideas I need to steal"

of course you mean 'what NOT to steal'...

King Dave(Posted 2004) [#14]
oi u, some of that works done by you... he might just be after that. :P

Rottbott(Posted 2004) [#15]
When's Sab going to do another one of these, eh?

A friend of mine did download it for me in the end, so I get all that lovely music.

Can't wait to play :-)

RepeatUntil(Posted 2004) [#16]
Wahoouu ! I was so impressed by this game !! Very very nice ! And it runs perfectly and smoothly on my 433 MHz computer !
The most complete, ambitious game in Blitz in my eyes !

I am so impressed that a lot of questions comes:
- how many persons are working on that ? Is it full time ? Professionnal team ?
- is FreeWorld made really in Blitz ? Only in Blitz ?
- if yes, then do you think that Blitz was well adapted ? Or C++ would be better?
- did you use BlitzPlay or your own library for the network ?

Very nice game !!

Tranz(Posted 2004) [#17]
KingDave could answer better than me, but I'll give it a go anyway...

"how many persons are working on that ? Is it full time ? Professionnal team ?"

A team of 25 professional rabbits make up the core FreeWorld team. They've worked tirelessly for the past year and a half stopping only for the occasional beer.

"is FreeWorld made really in Blitz ? Only in Blitz ?"

Yes...and yes.

"if yes, then do you think that Blitz was well adapted ? Or C++ would be better?"

Yes...and yes, but 'better' is a subjective term. It would certainly take longer to make in C++

"did you use BlitzPlay or your own library for the network ?"

BlitzPlay was not used, FreeWorld is an entirely original work.

King Dave(Posted 2004) [#18]
Wow, ty Tranz... your answers are almost all serious :D

hehe, additional/real answers (:P tz):

"how many persons are working on that ? Is it full time ? Professionnal team ?"
Roughly 15 people are on the team, although we have some general helpers for game modertation/public relation work. Some members work full time, but the majority do it in their spare time... no one is getting paid for this (yet).

"is FreeWorld made really in Blitz ? Only in Blitz ?"
Currently, yes. The server is likely to be re-written in C++ due to some flaws in blitz native TCP/IP support that will cause problems in the long run.

"if yes, then do you think that Blitz was well adapted ? Or C++ would be better?"
Peformance wise, I believe C++ would have been a better choice. But time wise and overal ease of creating in Blitz was definetly the best choice and I'm glad we're using it.

"did you use BlitzPlay or your own library for the network ?"
As tranz said, it is all original

TheMan(Posted 2004) [#19]
Why signup closed?

poopla(Posted 2004) [#20]
Because they probably reached a limit. I was dissapointed aswell.

King Dave(Posted 2004) [#21]
Its easier to develop the game without people coming in all the time, plus we had over 1,800 signups and I think thats more than enough :)

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2004) [#22]
First :: Im playing it now and it is good.

BUT. if you go subs with it King I wont be playing when its finished. Its a game model I dont like to much at all.

If however you stick a price tag on it then HELL YEAH ill buy it. fek id buy it as it is now. its already blew my current schedual out the watter.

(to much time leveling up ;) )

So Is it going to go Subscription or just buy and play ?

poopla(Posted 2004) [#23]
Just buy and play means they make nothing to manage server costs with.

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2004) [#24]
TBH.. and I'm sure im not alone here. I really hate having to pay a monthly fee to play a game. I think its a system that cuts down your player base and only allows for those with credit cards or a job to play.

Bottom line If im not gona pay subs for EQ im not gona pay it for FW..

I am at this time in no way saying its not worth it. Already its stolen to many hours from me. its already a class game and I cant wait till its finished.

I know Most Developers seek the Cash at the end of a project. As a Developer I feel this way as well. However I feel that the trend in games going subs is a bad one.

I also think there are a lot more ways of getting the funds in to pay for the game. A lot of ways most people just would not think of, I have a lot in mind for an RPG I have in planning. and I would be willing to share them but not in public.

I will give an example though.

If FW goes subs, I can see around 3-5 hundred people being willing to pay. could be less. this for a whiel would be a steady flow of money for the DEV's to help pay for the server and such. I cant really see this growing much over 500, specially when EQ and many others offer the same thing with better GFX & Sound (no offence)..

NOW.

If they go Buy and play. I can see a hell of a lot more people buying the game, lets just chuck out a number. lets say around 4 or 5 thousand people buy it. and say your selling it at about £25 £30(which id buy at) then thats a hell of a lot of money...

TBH once the Online RPG community gets wind of a good MMORPG that you dont have to pay subs for, they will be jumping at it like mad men on steroids.

just my 2p

King Dave(Posted 2004) [#25]
Yes, but if we do buy and play... then eventually sales will slow down, and then we won't be able to afford to keep the servers up for the players.

Its simply not possible, hence why there are no (or very few) MMORPGs that do not use subscriptions.

Also, a lot of people may find it cheaper to pay a small sub than to pay £25 or £30 for it and then realise they don't play it much. It benefits hard core players cost wise, but there the ones that will cost us the most to run the server.

We have promised to keep the cost as low as possible, hopefully giving us some advantage over other bigger MMORPGs who often charge way more than they need to. But we do want something out of it, its taken a long time just to get this far and all the developers are working for free; I think we deserve something :)

Aymes(Posted 2004) [#26]
Im no expert at all on MMORPGs (only ever played ragnarok) but couldnt you put advertising in somewhere to cover costs? If you have enough signups/players surely someone would be keen to bung an advert in there?

Unless this is a tried and failed idea?

Clique(Posted 2004) [#27]
Aymes do u play RTCW on Xbox Live?

King Dave(Posted 2004) [#28]
It would literally have to be plastered all over with advertisments, I'd hate to play it if that was the case.

Aymes(Posted 2004) [#29]
Nezmix, nah sorry 's not me, dont even have an xbox! :/