Par FORE! Update

Community Forums/Showcase/Par FORE! Update

rsbrowndog(Posted 2004) [#1]
All,

Here is a new pic from the golf game I am working on, Par FORE!:

For more info, read my worklog or visit my site.

Any and all comments welcome!

Cheers,

Ryan

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#2]
Nice skybox :) Looks really nice :)

GfK(Posted 2004) [#3]
All looking good. Will there be trees tho or is it more "crazy golf"?

rsbrowndog(Posted 2004) [#4]
GfK,

Yeah, there will be trees there's just none in that shot!

You see, know you have something to look forward to next week, when I post a new shot!

Cheers,

Ryan

rsbrowndog(Posted 2004) [#5]
Another new shot, check the worklog for more info on what's changed:

GfK(Posted 2004) [#6]
Oooo now then!

Thats looking REYT good.

Any chance you could gimme a demo? Pop into irc.blitzed.org (#blitzbasic) where I shall be lurking for most of the evening in a drunken state of disarray. :D

rsbrowndog(Posted 2004) [#7]
Here is this week's new shot, check the worklog for more info on what's changed:

GfK(Posted 2004) [#8]
I likes.

Must admit the trees aren't *quite* what I expected - they do fit with the style of the game though!

ashmantle(Posted 2004) [#9]
Why does the water follow the slopes? Other than that, nice looking :)

GfK(Posted 2004) [#10]
Why does the water follow the slopes?
Perspective, possibly??

rsbrowndog(Posted 2004) [#11]
Why does the water follow the slopes?

Because it's not finished yet!

Cheers,

Ryan

EOF(Posted 2004) [#12]
Hi there Ryan,
One of my favourite golf games on the C64/Amiga was Leaderboard. I really liked the 'pick up and play' aspect of the game.
Is Par FORE remotely similar to Leaderboard?

rsbrowndog(Posted 2004) [#13]
Syntax Error,

I played a *lot* of Leaderboard on the C64, it's the golf game I've spent most time with so I would expect it to have a lot of influence over Par FORE!'s design.

I think it's very pick up and play, I want to try and make all the games I make as simple as possible as I do honestly think that a large majority of todays games are over-complicated. The C64 and Amiga had hundreds of brilliant games that you could play with a 4-way joystick and a single fire button, so why use anything more!?

Okay, so most of my games will probably require TWO fire buttons, but that's still keeping it simple!

Cheers,

Ryan

EOF(Posted 2004) [#14]
Agree with you 100%. Looking forward to giving your game a whirl.

rsbrowndog(Posted 2004) [#15]
Here is the latest shot, check the worklog for more info on what's changed:

Cheers,

Ryan

Beaker(Posted 2004) [#16]
Looking really nice. Are you sure you can't compress them JPG images a bit more? :P

Agamer(Posted 2004) [#17]
looks fantastic in my opnion kinda cartonny really like it !

rsbrowndog(Posted 2004) [#18]
Are you sure you can't compress them JPG images a bit more?

You say that like I know what I am doing!!! I just tell Paint Shop Pro to save it and it does, all I care about is a nice small file size so you lot aren't waiting 5 minutes for the page to open!

Thanks for all the comments!

Cheers,

Ryan

Ricky Smith(Posted 2004) [#19]
Can't wait to have a go of this ! Makes a refeshing change from the near photorealistic current crop of AAA Golf Titles.
To me it says 'fun'

DarkNature(Posted 2004) [#20]
It does look like a lot of fun to play. When might we expect a demo?

big10p(Posted 2004) [#21]
Looking good but matey seems to have lost his shadow and the power meter looks a bit complicated/messy IMO. Great job so far, though! ;)

rsbrowndog(Posted 2004) [#22]
...matey seems to have lost his shadow...

Yeah, I've turned that off at the moment, not sure if it's going back in...

...the power meter looks a bit complicated/messy...

Hmmmm... might be a bit messy (that's what happens when I try and do some graphics!!) but it's certainly NOT complicated!

Cheers,

Ryan

rsbrowndog(Posted 2004) [#23]
Updated my worklog.

Comments are VERY welcome!

Cheers,

Ryan

GfK(Posted 2004) [#24]
Couple of comments:

First, just how big is that flag?!?!

Second, the hole looks a little odd in the close-up view - the edge of it seems to be too soft. Easily solved though, yes?

Third, where's me demo?!

rsbrowndog(Posted 2004) [#25]
First, just how big is that flag?!?!

I know, I know! :) I will sort it out, it's not high up the list of priorities at the mo!

Second, the hole looks a little odd in the close-up view - the edge of it seems to be too soft. Easily solved though, yes?

Yep, I just grabbed the first sprite I could find, I need to make a proper one, I think that one came out of the castle demo where it's used for a bullet hole.

Third, where's me demo?!

Unless I've jinxed it by saying this, wait until the end of the week!

Cheers,

Ryan

Banshee(Posted 2004) [#26]
It does look really good and clearly you have some artistic talent, I wonder then if it would look better with a backdrop that has a similar graphical style to the foreground terrain as the sharp contrast does stand out some ? That might be worth a shot, they both look very good independantly but i'm not sure they are really working together as well as they might.

wmaass(Posted 2004) [#27]
Looking good Ryan!

rsbrowndog(Posted 2004) [#28]
It does look really good and clearly you have some artistic talent, I wonder then if it would look better with a backdrop that has a similar graphical style to the foreground terrain as the sharp contrast does stand out some ?

I should point out that the skybox and golfer model were made by Psionic, but I did everything else. It's a good point though, the realistic style of the skybox doesn't really match up with the other elements. Originally the terrain was going to be textured differently, more in keeping with the style of the skybox, but my plans didn't work out leading to the "style" we have now.

Having said that I think the terrain fits well with the golfer model so maybe I should look at changing the skybox...

Hmmmm... I've got several bits to work on this evening, but if I get 5 minutes I'll give it a whirl...

Ryan

EDIT: Forgot to say that Psionic also made the trees!!

Warren(Posted 2004) [#29]
Looks cool, Ryan! Nice to see that you had the dedication to actually come back to the project. Most people, when they 'temporarily' put a project down, never get back to it.

Looking forward to playing!

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#30]
now all you gotta do is replace the backdrop image with something a lil more in line with the theme of the game...

something a lil more cartoony... those mountains look a lil tooo real for rest of the scene.

the clouds may have to go too...

otherwise... this looks really great.

you may have found a nice lil niche here... a relaxing, yet realisitc enough game of virtual golf... coool...

--Mike

rsbrowndog(Posted 2004) [#31]
EpicBoy,

Thanks very much! I must admit my "Projects" folder is littered with half-started and half-finished projects, so I am determined that this will actually make it!

Mike,

Yep, I'm going to do that. It's funny but I never really noticed it before it was pointed out, but now it's blindingly obvious! I suppose it's a case of being "too close" to it to notice.

Cheers,

Ryan

23v(Posted 2004) [#32]
Looks great mate.

Andy

googlemesilly(Posted 2004) [#33]
cool stuff !:)

Banshee(Posted 2004) [#34]
I see from the worklog you've gone to a plain background, how about a rainbow effect like we used to get with Amiga and 16-bit games ?

rsbrowndog(Posted 2004) [#35]
Andy,

I see from the worklog you've gone to a plain background, how about a rainbow effect like we used to get with Amiga and 16-bit games ?

Can you elaborate? My memory is not what it used to be!!

Cheers,

Ryan

Banshee(Posted 2004) [#36]
A few threads down is a shadow of the beast demo, the background in that fades blue to purple. Although not perhaps the right colours for this game thats the effect I meen.

Some of the 16 bit games used to do bands of colour rather than a smooth fade, and that also might look quite good.

Then just put cloud entities in front of the sky backdrop and you are laughing :)

rsbrowndog(Posted 2004) [#37]
That's what I thought you meant!

Yeah, it sounds really good and should make a nice effect. I'll try something like that out tonight or at some point over the weekend. I'll also add a sun and the clouds as suggested and see what it looks like.

Cheers,

Ryan

rsbrowndog(Posted 2004) [#38]
Decided to upload 4 new pics to illustrate some of the progress I've made. Click the thumbs for nice big versions!

Enjoy!

Cheers,

Ryan

rsbrowndog(Posted 2004) [#39]
Bumping due to worklog update!

Check it out...

Cheers,

Ryan

Warren(Posted 2004) [#40]
So you bumped this thread because you updated your worklog to say that the first 18 holes are ready?

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#41]
I Iike it!! ( adopts voice of that bloke from robocop)

rsbrowndog(Posted 2004) [#42]
So you bumped this thread because you updated your worklog to say that the first 18 holes are ready?

Yep, exciting eh?

I know, I shouldn't have, but I felt in need of attention... sigh...

EDIT: added some more info to the worklog now, I was going to put some new pics up but nothing has really changed visually...

Cheers,

Ryan

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#43]
looking good... maybe a cartoony puffy or two in the sky... but otherwise, very nice...

yeah, I Like It!!! (in the voice of Woody from Cheers in the Veggie drink ad episode)

--Mike

rsbrowndog(Posted 2004) [#44]
Red,

Thanks, I'm still considering what to do about the sky. I have a couple of ideas but have yet to try them out...

Cheers,

Ryan

Psionic(Posted 2004) [#45]
Drop me an email m8, I have an idea ;-)

rsbrowndog(Posted 2004) [#46]
Thanks Psionic!!!

Warren(Posted 2004) [#47]
Cute. :)

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#48]
ooooo, cooool...

maybe not so many orbs in the cloud formation... that guy on the upper left looks about right, the other is a lil too busy...

... but that's perfect :)

--Mike