New Virus Remake Demo

Community Forums/Showcase/New Virus Remake Demo

Stevie G(Posted 2004) [#1]
Get new version here - thanks MARG!!!

http://mysite.freeserve.com/peepandguinnie/virus_remake.zip

All feedback welcome including suggestions for new features.

F5 changes controls from Mouse / Joystick / Demo
F1/F2 Swap Tracked object
Space - Fire missile

You can't play it on less than 400x300 mode but I still prefer it like that with the original view - nostalgia I guess!!

Stevie

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#2]
solid stuff man!

Bouncer(Posted 2004) [#3]
I got a memory access violation.
Since it works on jfk's machine you might have entity or mesh pointers in floats. Or something different.. :). Don't think it's files missing.

Stevie G(Posted 2004) [#4]
Thanks jfk.

@ Bouncer - Nah, all entity and mesh pointers are definately Ints - I know that floats can cause problems. I'm not doing anything fancy as you can probably tell - so not sure what the problem could be here .. sorry.

I've just done radar and windmill objects and hope to add some new ships soon - a Repulsor, Super Fighter, Mothership and maybe allied ships to assist you on later levels.

koekjesbaby(Posted 2004) [#5]
i also get a memory acces violation.

Stevie G(Posted 2004) [#6]
?!! I wish I knew why that was happening 'cos it works fine here. I take it you get past the mode & view select screens and then get the error? Do you see anything? Do you hear any sounds? I doubt it but are you running it in less than 400x300 mode?

Dr Derek Doctors(Posted 2004) [#7]
Works great here, although chugs somewhat at 640x480x32 on 4X display when you're near the ground and it's drawing a lot. But it's a crackingly good remake so far!

It's a pity that V2000 was so poorly received.

Ice9(Posted 2004) [#8]
Bouncer, some blitz stuff you can't run out or a zip folder or shortcut. It won't run the exe in the correct directory. try unzipping to a folder and running it directly.

koekjesbaby(Posted 2004) [#9]
arbitrage: (eventho your reply was ment for bouncer) even if i unpack it to disk it gives a memory acces violation error.

stevieG: i boot the game, i choose a videomode (windowed or full screen don't behave different) then the screen turns black and it gives me the memory access violation error.

my systems is: amd 3000+ 512ram radeon 9800pro. maybe it is an ati thingy? dunno, just speculating :)

Stevie G(Posted 2004) [#10]
Now that I have some details .. (thanks koekjesbaby!!)

The offending item was this * command just after selecting the videomode (don't ask me why it's there!!). Strange how it worked on other machines though? I've removed it but will probably be a few days before I can get it uploaded again.

* Graphics3D 640,480,0,2

This is how the 'borrowed from 3d examples' code sets the windowed mode, do I have to set a depth?

Function SetGfx()
Print info1$:Print info2$:Print info3$:Print info4$:Print
If Windowed3D()
yn$=Input$( "Use windowed mode?" )
If Left$( Lower$( yn$ ),1 )="y"
HidePointer
Graphics3D 640,480,0,2
SetBuffer BackBuffer()
Return
EndIf
EndIf

maverick(Posted 2004) [#11]
Memory access violation here
see sig for spec

Andy(Posted 2004) [#12]
Top game... Absolutely lovely...

Andy

koekjesbaby(Posted 2004) [#13]
did you re-upload the file? because when i download it again i still get the memory access violation. :(

what i hadn't noticed before (i have my speakers off 90% of the time because most webdisigners can't live with the fact that sound is not their buisiness) was that some sound is playing (wind/atmospheric noise).

hope it helps, can't wait to see it work.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#14]
i think if you say zero for the depth it will use the current desktop mode, tho i think i heard of some problems with this.

maverick(Posted 2004) [#15]
Still a memory access violation here.

Shame as i enjoyed the old virus on the amiga