Please test nano controls

Community Forums/Showcase/Please test nano controls

Bouncer(Posted 2004) [#1]
This is a small control test of NANO... it would be great to get some feedback of the ship controls.
Currently the controls are physically "realistic", as all the force really comes from the turbines. This however makes the turning of the ship harder and you have to slide as you would in a car game thru the hard corners.

As much as I like these kind of controls, I would like some feedback... did the controls suck or were they okay? And do you prefer arcade like easy controls or more advanced controls, where the skill of the player means more?

Just use the arrow keys to drive the ship.
Thank you in advance...

Get the test from:
www.kotiposti.net/naama/nanotest.zip

[EDIT] (Should now work in 16-bit modes aswell)... so please test with 16-bit and tell me does it work okay. Shoot pixels from the middlemouse. If they collide with objects, it works!. thanks.

You could also report fps reading...
Hold NUMPAD 0 to see maximum fps.

Thanks.

Dock(Posted 2004) [#2]
I get 147 fps, though it locks to 49 without zero held down - odd because my monitor sync is 60hz (it is LCD). I was running at 1600x1200.

I really like what you've got here. It really depends on the level design whether or not these controls are satisfying. If there is a lot of picking up and throwing objects vertically, the large turning circle arc might be annoying as you can easily slip. However, if you're just nudging, and there's plenty of scope for retrying a particular part of the level, then this control method would work fine. ^_^

I must state again how much I'm impressed by this. The concept and art direction are really inspired. The best approach I've ever seen at this subject matter.

edit: I just dropped it to 800x600 with 4x anti-aliasing, and whilst it looks great, I get yellow squares around the thruster particles. They look like mip-mapping picking up the colour surrounding the UV layout, when the resolution is downsampled.

Bouncer(Posted 2004) [#3]
Dock: The game is locked at 50fps as currently the game logic and rendering both run at that speed. May have to add render tweening though.

[edit] I think that's because of the anti-aliasing, I think it's not the resolution as I have tried it with all resolutions on several machines. I have a look into that.

Thanks for comments.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2004) [#4]
just over 100 fps on a Gforce 2 @ 1024*768.

The game's a real looker. Whatever you do don't lose that control system. You soon get used to it and I think it will really add to the interest and skill of the game. Who didn't love Thrust, right?

Could you explain to me, in the broadest terms (only expecting a few lines here) how you do those rigid body cols, including the squishy thing?

skidracer(Posted 2004) [#5]
Have you considered treating the game clock as the metabolism / temperature?

I was going to suggest increasing thrust and rotation (for a more asteroids model) but ramping the game clock to 70hz for later versions or when the host gets sick would be kind of cool too.

Pepsi(Posted 2004) [#6]
My FPS was between 108-124.

I like the controls. If there is to be a time based mode, having to navigate through that kind of world makes the controls you currently have easier to deal with (ie: not to fast in turning which I think makes it a good challenge to move around in a quick manner).

darklordz(Posted 2004) [#7]
Dude all i can say right now is a useless "WOW IM SO STUNNED MY EYES BLINKED FOR ... WOW ... NO NO IT"S JUST DUST IN MY EYE.. WOW"

Bot Builder(Posted 2004) [#8]
RAM:

I asked the same thing last time he posted the physics. Aparently, it's all spere-spere, unless he's change his method? He might be using sphere-line on some parts...

It is completly brilliant though. Seemless and very professional, except for the mouse on the screen that lets you drag stuff around XD

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2004) [#9]
Eh, how long does it take to generate collisionmaps? I waited for a few minutes on a 1GHz Athlon and I had to End Task.

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#10]
Hey, nice man!! Love it. I managed to make the ship go right thru the scenary at one point, by making the ship go fast enough. 50 fps at zoomed back range. 200 holding in 0.

Love the physics :D!!

darklordz(Posted 2004) [#11]
@BAN300 > must a couple of seconds here

Al Mackey(Posted 2004) [#12]
I got about 170 with 0 held, on 1024x768 on a GeForce4.

I liked that you could drag things around, but sometimes the squishy cells and even the player would collapse when I did so. The controls are awesome, don't touch 'em!

Bot Builder(Posted 2004) [#13]
I got bout 45 but that's completly decent for my system, as It's definitly not very good with 3d(geforce 2 mx400).

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2004) [#14]
Man, I want to play it, but it just won't load! Hmmph!

Anthony Flack(Posted 2004) [#15]
The controls are great, don't change a thing. The physics system is well wicked too, and the game looks great (and disgusting). Good stuff... a promising start, that's for sure!

Bouncer(Posted 2004) [#16]
BAN300: That's interresting... the generation of the collision maps should take just a few seconds. What the routine is doing is just drawing the outlines of the static items and then floodfilling. It relies that it gets the correct color info. That's why it supports only 32-bit currently.

What GFX-card do you have?

RAM: Dynamic object-to-object collisions are sphere-to-sphere collisions. In that scene there are about 200 spheres.

Also there's sphere-to-line collisions between Dynamic and Static objects. About 150 lines in there too.

Yes the collisions look pretty accurate. Just have to use enough spheres.

skn3(Posted 2004) [#17]
I felt you couldn't turn quick enough, so it was too sluggish for my liking.

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2004) [#18]
I have an ATI 9600XT card. I can actually just ESC from the program while it states that it's creating the collisionmaps but the game never shows up.

Bot Builder(Posted 2004) [#19]
how bout the ability to reverse thrusters?

Bouncer(Posted 2004) [#20]
BAN300:
That's really strange, if you can esc out of the game... because that suggests that the game gois into mainloop and is running. But if it's running it should still flip something to frontbuffer and therefore not show the "Generating collisionmaps" text.

I did some changes... please download again and see what happens.

thanks.

Zmatrix(Posted 2004) [#21]
Very nice!
I thought the controls were great, keep them.
great Graphics also. 108-123 on a radeon 7200 pci 32meg.(1024x768) res

Again, excellent work.

Zmatrix

Anthony Flack(Posted 2004) [#22]
Have you taken on board the comments about removing the 3 least significant bits from your colour in order to guarantee 16 bit will work (whether in 5.6.5 or 5.5.5)?

Bouncer(Posted 2004) [#23]
Athony F: What do you mean 3 least insignificant bits?? Do you mean the thread in misc. forums?

I'll try to sort out this colour issue... still has me kind of confused... but I'll work it out.

Is somekind of function possible that works in all bit modes...
I currently have functions GetRed(), GetGreen() and GetBlue() that gets the components from the RGB value...
And and RGB(red,green,blue) function that returns an RGB value. Those functions were not written by me... I found them from codearchives. (thanks to whoever made them... can't remember ... sorry).

It would be great to have those kind of function that would work both in 16-bit and 32-bit modes

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2004) [#24]
Heh, same thing happens, I just see that screen and then I can Esc out ... very strange.

Bouncer(Posted 2004) [#25]
BAN300: Do you see the text "the game is running now" ???

Bouncer(Posted 2004) [#26]
I think I got the color issue sorted:

It should now work on all 16bit modes...
please test, I need to know does it work on all gfx cards in 16-bit. Same download link.

Thanks.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2004) [#27]
Bot Builder/Bouncer : Thanks for the response.

The turning is fairly slow but that gives a good feeling of moving in a liquid in my opinion.

Anthony Flack(Posted 2004) [#28]
Okay, so you know what was being referred to with the least significant bits now? (yup, as in the other thread). Basically you reduce your 32 bit number to the accuracy of a 16 bit number by dropping the extra bits - and as long as you're not trying to differentiate between colours that are really similar (which would be stupid anyway), it'll be sweet.

Downloading...

Dustin(Posted 2004) [#29]
Minor nitpick: I think the ship drifts too long in the direction you're turning after you release the turn key. IMHO.

That said, Bouncer you've outdone yourself!!! So polished, so clean. I love the touches: the camera zooms, the little propulsion bubbles, the semi-transparent aomeba, the squishy cells!!! Completely top shelf stuff!!!!

1600x1200@32 49fps - 198fps w/ '0' pressed.

Truly impressive!!!!!!

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2004) [#30]
Lovely game.. what do I do????

I get 260FPS with the button down @ 1024x768x32

My Spec:-

Intel 2.6Ghz (800Mhz FSB)
GE Force FX 5200 Ultra 128MB
1GB DDDR (Thats 800Mhz Bus Speed to RAM)

Bouncer(Posted 2004) [#31]
Flynn: How should I know??? :)
You mean what you supposed to do in the game... well... nothing It's just a small control test... no game yet.
Hopefully everyone have something to do in six months or so.

Dustin: I will make the turning a little faster... then I think the controls are good enough.

Thanks to everyone that have told me their opinions on the controls. That really helped.

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2004) [#32]
Ugh... I tried it in 16-bit mode too, but I get the same results. The screen never changes over from the generating collisionmaps screen, so strange. My computer isn't even processing anything, it just kinda sits there until I press escape. This is unfair!

Bouncer(Posted 2004) [#33]
BAN300: But do you get the text "the game is running now" ?
Or just "creating collisionmaps"??

I really need to know so I can try to pinpoint the problem.

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2004) [#34]
Only get the "creating collision maps".

Bouncer(Posted 2004) [#35]
So if you wait you only see "creating colliion maps" sitting there... you don't get completely black screen... and you can esc out. Is this right?

po(Posted 2004) [#36]
I get the same problem as BAN300. It just says creating collision maps... please wait.

Bouncer(Posted 2004) [#37]
po: if you press esc does it quit??

po(Posted 2004) [#38]
Yup. I tried every resolution too.I don't no what my graphics card is though. It just says: AMD Athlon (tm)Processor. Even if I wait 5 minutes :(

Bouncer(Posted 2004) [#39]
BAN300 and Po: Try this and tell me does it work...
I removed some timing code and special fx. Thanks.

www.kotiposti.net/naama/nanostripped.zip

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2004) [#40]
Nope still does the same thing :(

Bouncer(Posted 2004) [#41]
Okay... one more time :)
Can you check if it works in windowed modes...
Try small resolutions first.

www.kotiposti.net/naama/nanowindowed.zip

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2004) [#42]
OK, now it never gets passed displaying the resolutions and my mouse pointer gets jumpy but won't leave the windowed area.

Bouncer(Posted 2004) [#43]
Okay... I now know it's in the mainloop because the mouse jupmps. that supposed to happen.

I removed basicly everything except the core.

Same download:
(no more windowed though)

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2004) [#44]
Heh, same results. Don't really understand what would cause it to enter the loop but not render or flip, it's strange.

Bouncer(Posted 2004) [#45]
Yeah... it's REALLY strange. The loop contains basicly nothing now. It would make more sense if it would even flip a blackscreen, so the text would disappear. Because it certainly is in mainloop and is running the game code, but doesn't flip anything to frontbuffer?!?

Okay.................. bare with me ban :)
If you now don't see anything... then ufo's had to do something to f*** this up.

Same download

WolRon(Posted 2004) [#46]
200 at 1024x768
Pretty awesome physics.
If you crash into a 'ball' hard enough, it will invert itself.

I see you gave us some extra .x files. thanks.

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2004) [#47]
Woo Hoo! I now see a screen and it says I should see something :)

Bouncer(Posted 2004) [#48]
"I see you gave us some extra .x files. thanks"
What that supposed to mean?... they're not for any freeware use... except the bowling pin... that's some free model I got from somewhere.

WolRon(Posted 2004) [#49]
I thought you'd like that comment :)

Bouncer(Posted 2004) [#50]
BAN300: you see the scene too... or just the text? You should see some blocks and a background.

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2004) [#51]
So ... do I get to play soon?

Bouncer(Posted 2004) [#52]
WolRon: very funny...
BAN300: So did you see the whole scene?

Try this:
www.kotiposti.net/naama/NANO_MAIN.zip
Just the exe so you don't have to download all the media all the time. Just replace the original exe.
This just my single surface particlesystem mesh is hidden.

[EDIT] If the above works... try this...
I changed some bits around in the particle system.
www.kotiposti.net/naama/NANO_MAIN_FIXED.zip (hopefully :)

Tell me witch one worked or did they both ... I really hope the thing I changed caused it... fingers crossed :)

And BAN. Thanks very much man for your patience and all your help.

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2004) [#53]
Hey, I'll test this as much as needs be :) Unfortunately, it doesn't work again :(

Bouncer(Posted 2004) [#54]
BAN300:

1. So BOTH the above exes didn't work?

2. And also when it worked in the version where you saw the text "you should be seeing something" , did you see the scene also or just the text?

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2004) [#55]
No, I saw the scene too.

Bouncer(Posted 2004) [#56]
okay... back to bughunting:
Try this:
www.kotiposti.net/naama/NANO_MAIN.zip

koekjesbaby(Posted 2004) [#57]
great stuff! i get around 250fps with 0 pressed.

i think that the ship should turn faster and maybe start/slow down faster, but it depends on the game, like dock said. but if i remember correctly i was to become some sort of liero-kind of game, i.e. frantic, and then you ought to make it quicker.

amazing stuff.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#58]
Hey... this really looked coool...

... oh yeah, 49fps just sitting there.

--Mike

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2004) [#59]
Heh, nope not yet.

Bouncer(Posted 2004) [#60]
BAN:
Okey... download the nano_main.zip again.
Same download.

If this works... I start adding the components back piece by piece. If you still want to help me :)

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2004) [#61]
I'll keep testing it, but that one didn't work either :(

Bouncer(Posted 2004) [#62]
this is going to be a rather long topic:)

try again... same download

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2004) [#63]
No

Bouncer(Posted 2004) [#64]
BAN300:
This bug has to be somekind of dx/blitz bug... or them I'm just stupid :)

can't figure it out. I have to see if I can find some computer where I can get that bug. It's imposible to fix this way. It can be anything. Because that bug is totally weird.

I wonder if it has something to do with WinME. Or gfx-card drivers.

Do you have the latest catalyst?

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2004) [#65]
Yes, I have the latest ATI drivers.

po(Posted 2004) [#66]
I tried it again too. It still says: Generating collisionmaps... please wait. It seems a little strange that only me and BAN300 are having trouble with this.

Bouncer(Posted 2004) [#67]
po: do you also have WinME?

po(Posted 2004) [#68]
No, I have Windows 98.... But I used to have Windows ME...long story....