SARE Alpha Demo

Community Forums/Showcase/SARE Alpha Demo

Shambler(Posted 2004) [#1]
The alpha demo of my 3D engine is now ready for pulling to pieces! =)

Its main features are:

A slope you can walk on.
A slope you can't walk on because it is too steep.
A climbable surface ( ladder entity ).
A lift entity with lift to players head collision,try it =).
A music trigger entity.
A dynamic player light.
Automatic obstacle climbing/smoothing.

Please download it from here and see if you can make it crash etc.

[Edit] download removed, new version coming shortly.

WASD to move + mouse look
Space to jump ( not completely happy with this atm )[edit] yes it sux big time I know ^^
Left shift to crouch
Escape to access incomplete menu system =)
In menu use cursors/enter to select/change items.

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#2]
hmmmm.... sorry, but it won't download. Must be something wrong. The picture won't appear either :S

Shambler(Posted 2004) [#3]
http://www.ntl-isp.ntl.com/lookup/default.asp

NTL appears to be having 'issues' atm, try again later -.-

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#4]
ok :)

Shambler(Posted 2004) [#5]
It's up! for how long who knows? -.-

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#6]
It's nice man. The jumping is funny tho. Jumps straight up very slowly, then shoots straight down. I think the collisions with the lift tho :D

Mustang(Posted 2004) [#7]
Comments:

I got 42 different rezz/color modes to choose from, but as there were so many it scrolled past the 7-8 first ones...

Scale was bit funny; stairs were huge.

When you jump and are on the moving platform you still stay "glued" to that. :)

Otherwise worked just fine, got constant 100fps.

fredborg(Posted 2004) [#8]
Jumping is very strange, and I got stuck when I crouched, or at least I couldn't find the key to get up again :) Apart from that the controls are nice!

Shambler(Posted 2004) [#9]
@Ross When you jump you go forward at the speed you are moving at...just like in real life, I'm not sure it makes for a good game though so I'll look at allowing the player to speed up in the air.

@Mustang 42 different modes? O.o Ok I'll have to be more selective about which ones I show or default to a lowish res one and let you change it later...were some of those modes 24 bit? My radeon shows no 24 bit modes.

Jumping up when on the moving platform is because your inertia is still moving in the direction of the platform...I wasn't sure whether to keep it like that or not so I'll change it and see what it looks like.

I didn't notice the stairs scale...I'll get the tape measure out ;)

@Fredborg whereabouts where you when you got stuck?, I needs to know since it should automatically stand you back up =)

fredborg(Posted 2004) [#10]
Never mind :) There was no problem...Just me using the wrong keys for moving about :D

Mustang(Posted 2004) [#11]
were some of those modes 24 bit?

Nope - all were 16 /32 bit modes (I think that those I can't see are also).

Jumping up when on the moving platform is because your inertia is still moving in the direction of the platform

Well... ummm. No. The player moves with the platform EVEN when the platform changes direction - so you get magical mid-air player movement and THAT was funny.

Shambler(Posted 2004) [#12]
@Fredborg great, that's a relief I can tell you since I worked ages on stopping this from happening =)

@Mustang agreed, I'll now change that jumping funny =)

Now just to work on making the jumping more realistic.

I don't know if you noticed but if you jump while moving forward you can move the mouse and curve the jump.

It is done that way because it will allow the player to, for example, jump off a cliff and curve to get the the face of the cliff and then climb up it.

This special ability will lead to interesting level design and exploration so I decided to keep it in, it's not a bug it's a feature ;)