VIRUS REMAKE WOP

Community Forums/Showcase/VIRUS REMAKE WOP

Stevie G(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hi,

Been working on this for a month or so ..

I've used a 320x240 resolution for the retro look. I'm also using a ps2 analogue so apologies for those who don't have one. I will be working on the mouse control and option for screen resolution very soon. There is no front end, level structure and a few objects missing but it's getting there.

Controls are as follows :-

Left Stick - pitch/yaw
(x) Thrust
R1 Laser
R2 Missile
L1 / L2 Change tracked object

Any feedback welcome...

Get the demo here - thanks Marg!! Sorry but I've no idea how to put the link in code!? I guess I do now!!

http://mysite.freeserve.com/peepandguinnie/virus_remake_demo.zip

Big&(Posted 2004) [#2]
Sorry but I get a memory access violation when I try and run it. Its been unzipped with paths and everything. :(

Kanati(Posted 2004) [#3]
that could be the case. Some newer cards I'm told have difficulty with the 320x### resolutions. You should do 640x480 and double the pixel sizes. That'll eliminate the possibility anyway.

GfK(Posted 2004) [#4]
Works here.

Not a bad start but I did find the controls really awkward. Virus was never this difficult!

Oh, and I'd like to see more visibility depth as well. The empty void in the background existed on the Amiga because the CPU wasn't powerful enough to put anything there.

Stevie G(Posted 2004) [#5]
Thanks GFK ..

What do you mean by awkward (the original mouse control was 100 times worse!!)? Is it the position of the buttons I'm using or just the analogue control in general?

Re depth - No problem doing this - was trying to be as close to original as I could - in fitting with my fantastic models. I'll add a few options though.

Cheers

GfK(Posted 2004) [#6]
I'm not sure how to describe it.

The controls just feel too 'rigid'. Like there's no inertia in the ship's movement.

Stevie G(Posted 2004) [#7]
I've increased the movement inertia but I didn't plan to have rotational inertia - I can't remember the original having this?

sswift(Posted 2004) [#8]
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=wop

Just saying. :-)

Stevie G(Posted 2004) [#9]
Gee thanks Sean - I never noticed that. My sincerest apologies to all the grease-balls out there - please don't leave a horses head on my pillow!

....FUD!

Vorderman(Posted 2004) [#10]
Nice - wish I could use the mouse though...

Stevie G(Posted 2004) [#11]
Thanks Vorderman.

Was it you who did the GLZarch? I borrowed a few ideas from that - hope you don't mind? I've implemented the same mouse control so should have a new version up soon that you can at least play.

Big&(Posted 2004) [#12]
It works fine on my machine at work, the only differences are:

Work: Win2k, GeForce3
Home: WinXp Pro, ATI 9600 Pro

No worries, would not trust XP as far as I could throw it! :)

mrtricks(Posted 2004) [#13]
Unfortunately I don't have a joystick so I hope you'll be adding in keys and/or mouse.

Also, lovely that you have gone for retro look but I would at least like the option for a higher resolution. The most important thing for me though, would be to be able to see further -- the most annoying thing about the original and no need with today's tech. (Know you're going for retro but has to be fun, surely?)

Looking good tho'

Vorderman(Posted 2004) [#14]
Yes, I did write that GLZarch thingy. It was only basic so I'm glad to see someone creating a decent version of the game - Zarch was my favourite game at school on the Archimedes.

I think you've used the wind sounds I did - be careful - can't remember where they came from so they might not be allowed to be used commercially.

I'm looking forward to the new mouse version - please let us know as soon as it's available.

Stevie G(Posted 2004) [#15]
I did borrow the wind sound - will look into getting another but to be honest I'm just messing around so I'll probably release the source once it's all finished.

I managed to get some Webspace yesterday so will upload the new version with mouse controls / demo mode when I get in from work.

Out of curiosity - I noticed on an Archimedes screenshot a few months back that there were Bombs as well as Missiles (Virus didn't have this) - any idea how they were implemented and what they were used for .. eh.. other than BOMBING THINGS!!

Vorderman(Posted 2004) [#16]
One of the enemy craft carried bombs - I think it flew pretty fast across the map, dropping bombs as it went, which exploded spraying virus around for 2 or 3 ground squares. I think the bombs were on parachutes and floated slowly(ish) down.

There were also kamikaze attackers that rammed you, and I think they were red and there was a warning sound that played, but I might be imagining that. You also had fighters that circled you and shot at you.

Vorderman(Posted 2004) [#17]
Hurry up with the mouse controls Stevie :)

Stevie G(Posted 2004) [#18]
It's was all done last night but the webspace I got the other day only allows me to upload 750k files - and as I've only got a 56k job I couldn't be arsed trying to separate the files and doing it all again. To be honest it's the 1st time I've uploaded anything or even set up my own web page but I'll play about with this when I get a chance.

I did e-mail MARG (James) with the new file to see if he could upload it for me but he hasn't got back to me yet. If anyone out there could kindly host this temporarily I'd really appreciate it!!

I won't be in until 5 but I'll will e-mail the files shortly after is there are any takers?

P.S. I have all the different ships in the game already - just the mystery ship is missing. I plan to add a few new ones though (suggestions??). The bombs I was talking about were icons on the display bar - obviously something to do with your own ship??

Stevie G(Posted 2004) [#19]
*deleted*