Bone weigth Model

Community Forums/Showcase/Bone weigth Model

HNPhan(Posted 2003) [#1]
I modeled a character in Max rigged, and textured already, I was gonna animate it and send it to Mark, but Im very short of time in these days.

What is needed to be done is to have it assigned using Skin without vertex blending. Since I used Physique to rigg it, pipeline doesnt export it.

if you think you can rigg it with skin ill send it to you and finish the job, and we can show it to mark.

the model is this one:
http://invis.free.anonymizer.com/http://www.geocities.com/cgi008/maskedman.jpg

properly rigged with physique is this one:
http://invis.free.anonymizer.com/http://www.geocities.com/cgi008/MaskedMan_Rigged.jpg

the model is in Max 6 format, using education liscense, therefore cannot be used for commercial use.

koekjesbaby(Posted 2003) [#2]
very, very nice model you made there.

HNPhan(Posted 2003) [#3]
thx :)

noone up to the challenge? :(

Mustang(Posted 2003) [#4]
Well I saw the pictures first time just now - previously they have been those lovely boxes with red X... :)

I have only MAX 5.2 and I really don't use it anymore... I think that your MAX is too new for most of us, and like you said physique is not supported (when exporting) which makes the MAX difficult for Blitz animation tasks anyway.

Since you have the character done already, why don't you use for example CharacterFX for animating it? Getting it rigged there might be easier job for someone here.

Oh, and VERY nice model (& texture), congrats!

HNPhan(Posted 2003) [#5]
ah, but you dont really need Max 6 to re-rigg it, I could provide the basic skeleton and model and texture in Milkshape 3d format (or any other), I just dont have the time right now to re-rigg it using non-weighted bones :/

This could show mark how much weighted bones are really needed in quality games.

thx for the comment :)

Mustang(Posted 2003) [#6]
This could show mark how much weighted bones are really needed in quality games.

Yup, we need to do this... but the best way to do it would be IMO to render out weighted example and then duplicate that in Blitz real-time using non-weighted model (with same camera setup and wireframe etc) so that you can compare the differences. Video is the only to do that since Blitz does not have the weights (and since Blitz can play videos, you could cram them to same Blitz window side-by-side).

Ruz(Posted 2003) [#7]
actually skin is easier to use than physique if you know how, which I do .
have been skinning /weighting stuff for about 6 years now. BUT I haven't got max 6 unfortunately.
Using skin,basically what you do is select the vertices for example the upper arm and type in 1 for the weight( for the upper arm bone). Forget about adjusting the envelopes. do that for each joint. then its a case of reassigning stray vertices.
You can do this method also for weighted verts, but at the end you go around the model weighting the verts that are deforming funny.
I think max 6 has mirror weights too if I am not mistaken, so you can do one half and then mirror the weights

HNPhan(Posted 2004) [#8]
well someone took the offer, so I should be able to get something up to show to Mark soon.

the other question would be, which codec should I use to compress the video? Im guessing that Mark might have DIVX, but yet im not sure, ill post something here to make sure that people can actually read it and then ill send it to mark via email.

(tu) sinu(Posted 2004) [#9]
best would be divx, you can post a longer clip with better quality and good file size.
If mark doesn't have it, he can easily download it.

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#10]
surely though Mark is not dumb . i am sure he is fully aware of the advantages of bone weighting . Did he actually say that he would include it if someone sent him a model?

HNPhan(Posted 2004) [#11]
thats what I kept hearing...

(tu) sinu(Posted 2004) [#12]
mark isn't dumb, it's that he isn't an artist, that's where the problem is, he needs to see the difference from a non-artist perspective.

Genexi2(Posted 2004) [#13]
I hate to ask this.....but what exactly is the difference between weighted and non-weighted bones?
(I've been wonderin this since the first time its been mentioned as a wanted feature for Blitz...)

Bot Builder(Posted 2004) [#14]
tons of people have mentioned it btw :) it means that a vertex can be affected by more than oe bone. so for instance, a vertex could be affected by one bone by 50%, another by 25%, and another by 25%. Al;htough I think it's usually only two bones. I'm not sure of this either, but I think the percentages have to add up to a 100.

HNPhan(Posted 2004) [#15]
well the XBox can have up to 3 bone per vertex
the PS2 can only have up to 2

I usually use 3

dunno exactly how much time till I finish this, but guess we'll see

Mustang(Posted 2004) [#16]
I hate to ask this.....but what exactly is the difference between weighted and non-weighted bones?

Check my last reply in the end:

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=28793

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#17]
I have a lot of weight on my bones at the moment. Must go on a new year fitnesss drive

HNPhan(Posted 2004) [#18]
After thoughtful consideration, I ended up assigning the bones myself, took me 10 minutes :-/

makes me wish I did this before eheh

anywayz, just a FYI since im gonna put a animation and send to mark soon, probably on tuesday or something.

HNPhan(Posted 2004) [#19]
**lil update***

just sent mark the mail,
what will be the cpu hit compared to non weighted bones if we do get weighted bones? is this done on the GPU?

Al Mackey(Posted 2004) [#20]
I assume it would all be done on the CPU. Isn't GPU transform a fairly recent invention? I'm guessing it's a DX8 or 9 feature.

Still, it shouldn't be such a huge hit on the CPU. I've done some realtime mesh deforms in Blitz using VertexCoords(), and I've been able to get away with a surprising amount before I noticed any slowdown, even on my slower machine -- and if Mark decides to do this, no doubt his code will be much more efficient than mine.

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#21]
This would be cool, if it's in the next update :)

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#22]
You know with the amount of features that blitz has already and the other potential things it could have , I am surprised it is not more well known.
I had been looking for a game engine for a few years that was affordable, but never heard of Blitz before I started using it.
For what it is the communtity should be huge

HNPhan(Posted 2004) [#23]
ya, its odd too, i stumbled on Blitz only after touching Dark basic, and it was on the Dark Basic forum that I found about blitz O_O

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#24]
needs more publicity, hint, hint

HNPhan(Posted 2004) [#25]
well, seems like Mark's hard work on Blitz Max right now, but if there is alot of interest in Weighted bones, the more likely Mark will add it.

Dock(Posted 2004) [#26]
How much more interest does he need?
I don't really see how we're supposed to campaign any more than we already have, tbh. ^_^ Maybe there just aren't enough artists in the Blitz community, or something.

Mustang(Posted 2004) [#27]
Maybe there just aren't enough artists in the Blitz community, or something.

Well it's a "programming language" ;P

Just imagine if Blitz3D *would* be program for artists, like somekind of modeling & animating software... now raise your left hand if you think that such program wouldn't have weights? No one? Yup, thought so...

(tu) sinu(Posted 2004) [#28]
true, we've pointed out how badly we want them numerous times. The demand is there.
Wish mark had put them in instead of the dot3 and cubemapping stuff first.

HNPhan(Posted 2004) [#29]
there just one thing i wanted to clear up, ill quote the email I received, this email was from "James L Boyd"

"Hi TigerZ,

I've forwarded that email on to Mark (as there's not much I can do!),
but I
know he is very busy working on Blitz Max right now, so please don't
expect
it to be done right away. Do keep mentioning it on the forums
occasionally,
though, as the more support/demand a request has, the more likely Mark
is to
get around to adding it eventually!

See ya,
--
James L Boyd,
Connected from Fife, Scotland.
Death to the Pixies!
--
"

I guess I shoulve quoted the email in the first place, sorry for any confusion.

(tu) sinu(Posted 2004) [#30]
Do keep mentioning it on the forums
occasionally,
though, as the more support/demand a request has, the more likely Mark
is to
get around to adding it eventually!

we've been crying out for ages for it!!!

ashmantle(Posted 2004) [#31]
Here's another desperate cry for weights! waaaa!