Alphacropolis

Community Forums/Showcase/Alphacropolis

Beeps(Posted 2003) [#1]
Beta version of our asteroids clone is out :)

you can grab it at www.binary-people.com/downloads/beta/alphacropolisbeta.zip

:)

Michael Reitzenstein(Posted 2003) [#2]
It sounds like some kind of disease...

Bouncer(Posted 2003) [#3]
Beeps: Looks great.

Michael: lol... funny for a first comment ;)

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2003) [#4]
Yup looking good. I think you have made the wee alien things better m8. It also looks like you have made the level smaller as well, which I rekon makes the game a bit more ready to play and more frantic with is always a good thing.

Cant wait to play the final game.

Beeps(Posted 2004) [#5]
Anyone else tried this yet? What's ya thoughts on it?

Michael Reitzenstein(Posted 2004) [#6]
Well, since you insisted, downloading now. 3.16 megs? It better be good - Juno is only 2.02, you know! :P

Pepsi(Posted 2004) [#7]
Hi, I played it with my gamepad and the controls felt pretty good. I liked how the ships are textured! Looks like you are doing a pretty good job on it so far. Need more particle effects! 8)

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#8]
Well I'm going to be very critical as I'm writing an Asteriods clone too, taking a different tact though so I'll try and be subjective.

Downside:
The ship should roll backwards not forwards when you thrust.
You don't know when you're hitting a rock.
The camera doesn't allow you to see things coming

Upside:
Fast and Frantic
Simple gameplay

Beeps(Posted 2004) [#9]
Think of the ship as a helicopter and you'll get the idea - not all ships act the way you might expect them to - also lifting the nose didn't look as 'cool'

The camera bounces all over the place and the rocks explode if you hit one - nobody else has said this

The camera zooms out when you go faster allowing you to see more.

What's the problem here? Oh and I tried your asteroids clone - do you have anything other than mouse control yet?

Dirk Krause(Posted 2004) [#10]
naaah, come on. Don't post your stuff here if you don't like critics.

I like the looks, I like the sounds, but the rocks just move through my blasts without getting hurt, and some rocks come whith lightning speed in sight, and you do not see them coming. So what are you going to do? Sue me?

If you like it that way, fine. If you want some feedback from people don't be frustrated and do not frustrate them. You made a good game - improve it.

Regards,
Dirk

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2004) [#11]
Hay DIRK no need to be like that m8, seems to me like your the one getting heat up about this.

What do I think.

Well overall I think its class, I do think the players bullets should be a lot stronger, seems like your shooting roids for to long, (easy to fix)

About the ships handling I fink its weel err sweeeet as a NUT. I love the wee thruster's its a nice effect.

All in all Id say a good game, from my point of view the only thing it needs is more FX, more flash and bang more BLING!!!.

The game play is there BEEPS just tart it up more.

Shambler(Posted 2004) [#12]
Although Dirk was maybe a little over passionate, some advice when posting a demo...

Take praise with thanks.

Take constructive critisism without thinking someone is trying to personally humiliate you, learn that what you think makes a great game may not be enjoyed by other people...after all, you are writing your game for others to enjoy, listen to their needs and try to make them happy.

With this in mind my comments...

A 'press key ? to start' message would be a friendly addition to the startup page...I pressed many keys and ended up having to reboot my pc by pressing reset since the whole thing locked up.

The enemies in the game appear too close to the player and this gives them little time to react.

This gives a feeling of unfairness, make them spawn further away from the ship and maybe include a radar to let the player know where they are coming from...maybe make them move slower, but still rotate at a reasonable speed.

When I fire at an asteroid I want to hear it scream! some firing and explosion noises would be pleasing.

The ships rate of fire seems a little fast and at the same time weak since it takes so many hits to blow up an asteroid.

I would prefer it if the ship did not pitch so much, or did not pitch at all, to me this just doesn't look right.

It certainly shows that you have put alot of effort into this game so please take on board other peoples views and make it something that appeals to everyone while still appealing to yourself ;)

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2004) [#13]
Beta version of our asteroids clone is out :)

Just thought id point that out a bit...

@Shambler yeah m8 I agree with most of that, although I think Beeps knows the pro's and con's to posting a demo, in fact thats why he did post it, which was to gain some advice comments or ideas from us. So as this is still the beta im sure you will get those extra sound FX like bullets on roids and stuff.

Right enough of the negative vibe, When we gona see some more Screen shots Beeps. ?? I want kept upto date m8.

Beeps(Posted 2004) [#14]
Yeah soon as I can. I want to get a playable race in Radical R/C first. Then it's back to Alphacropolis for the high score table and extra premo effects etc.

I agree with most of what is stated here to be honest BUT the ship movement stays coz I love it :P

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2004) [#15]
I like the ship just the way it is ;)