Radical R/C

Community Forums/Showcase/Radical R/C

Beeps(Posted 2003) [#1]
Merry Christmas everyone :)

I thought you'd like to see this very early but working racer we have in production, car AI and physics are all working, just a track editor and gfx to complete...

www.binary-people.com/images/rrc3.jpg
www.binary-people.com/images/rrc2.jpg
www.binary-people.com/images/rrc1.jpg

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#2]
Looks funky!

Beeps(Posted 2003) [#3]
I've upped a very rough demo, you can grab it here...

http://www.binary-people.com/downloads/beta/racingdemobeta.zip

Bolo_Loco(Posted 2003) [#4]
Great stuff!

Hmm,something like Re-Volt (Acclaim)?
I love this game !!

Bolo Loco

P.S. If you need some help ( 2D/3D Art),feel free to ask .

Beeps(Posted 2003) [#5]
Thanks, I'm upping a couple more images and an updated demo...

It's actually much more like Racing Destruction Set on the C64, a real classic that's still heaps of fun today :)

/edit

www.binary-people.com/images/rrc4.jpg

www.binary-people.com/images/rrc5.jpg

and the new demo will be on the old url above in about 5 mins.

Merry Christmas!

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#6]
Pretty cool :) A wee bit hard to control. It looks like your generating the track inside the code. Pretty funky!

Beeps(Posted 2003) [#7]
controls explained for you...

there's a few options,

accelerate- up OR button 1 (or curs up)
reverse - down OR button 2
flip car - R or button 3
button 4 is a test of Nitro boost - not fully implemented.

The track is actually a terrain right now, I'm half way through the code to build the track dynamically and this will include bank bends, narrow track, jumps, hills, terrain types etc. The code is heavily linked to the track editor so it's all ongoing.

The track *will* be a mesh created in code - not a terrain, the current one is just a test really to see if this is a viable project using ODE and we're very happy so far (only 3 days work).

Other planned features include permenent skid mark scars, improved AI/Waypointing with cars that 'learn' the track the more they drive them, weapons, car upgrades/mods, choice of cars, level editor.....

As SWoT is in testing we thought it was time to get the next big one into development, and this is my baby - something I've always wanted to code. That said, I've always wanted to wait until the physics could be handled properly and I could do the idea justice. A huge thanks to The dude that wrapped ODE for Blitz because he's opened the floodgates for us all. :)

NobodyInParticular(Posted 2003) [#8]
Racing Destruction Set is one of my all time favorite games, I still like to play it every so often using a C64 emulator. I am definatly looking forward to seeing this one completed...

simonh(Posted 2003) [#9]
Looks quite similar to Mark Rosten's own attempt at recreating RCS. Sadly he abandoned the project though, so good to see another one starting up. Here's the website:

http://rds.planetflibble.com/

Beeps(Posted 2003) [#10]
yeah, seen that. I was hoping he was going to finish. Ours won't be an identical clone though. ;)

Rob Farley(Posted 2003) [#11]
The car rolls around too much, it needs more stability.

Personally I'd like the camera to be lower and behind the car so you can see where you're going, or zoom out more, or just zoom out more the faster you go like the old GTA did.

The physics appear to be good, but too bouncy and rolly (if there is such a word!).

As bolo said, it's got to be a heap load better than Re-volt.

Good start though.

Beeps(Posted 2003) [#12]
There's going to be the ability to tweek the suspension and tires etc for each car, along with engine size - these will all modify the cars weight etc. The cars bounce a little at present due to the temp terrain used, it's a little bumpy in places it shouldn't be.

There won't be a chase cam as it's not that kind of racer. That said the camera will have that 'rally cam' effect where the car is followed, not too perfectly, as you race around.

Beeps(Posted 2003) [#13]
I've adjusted the cars dynamics, handles better now and is more stable - remember to slow down for the bends though ;)

AI has been tweeked as well, I can't get the computer cars forever stuck now, they appear to be able to handle track layouts better as well.

Can you drop your FPS in here if you try this new one please? and also how 'smooth' it 'feels' :)

Beeps(Posted 2003) [#14]
OK, I've reworked the track now, it's completely created in code and the poly count is obviously far lower. This allows me to have bank bends, thinner stretches of road and all the jumps, lumps and bumps I was able to do before.

www.binary-people.com/images/rrc6.jpg

I'll up a demo after I've got the editor to a point where it works :)

Zo Zo Zee Zar(Posted 2003) [#15]
Now I love this. It reminds me of Skidmarks on the Amiga - absolute stormer of a game on the miggy, and is what I was expecting the new Skidmarks to be like (imo this is exactly what the new skidmarks should have been like).

I'm following this with much interest - corking start.

Rob(Posted 2003) [#16]
it's a nice start

Zo Zo Zee Zar(Posted 2003) [#17]
BTW - I don't agree about the bouncing being over the top, these are remote controlled cars, let em bounce away :)

Vorderman(Posted 2003) [#18]
Ooo, that's nice! I like the feel of the cars. A slightly tighter turning circle would be great, but apart from that it feels absoultely spot on, and not just for an RC game. From playing it just now the feel of the cars could be very well applied to a 'normal' race game and still work.

I see you appear to be using the ODE dll. Is that the one I created ages ago, or your own new one?

I'd be very interested to hear about how you got it to provide a decent car physics model. If it is my DLL then you might have tried the Monster Truckin demo I put with it, which was OK(ish) but nowhere near as good as you've got now.

Please let me know what you've done :)

Beeps(Posted 2003) [#19]
Thanks for your comments.

It's your ODE dll Vorderman, I've switched back to 1.77 for this project :) You've done a corking job on the DLL and I wouldn't even attempt to re-wrap it. The car physics are based losely on your system but I've revamped large chunks of it.

New demo is up with fully dynamic tracks now. Editor is far down the line as well.

http://www.binary-people.com/downloads/beta/radicalrcbeta.zip (1.3mb)

It hangs when there's a huge pile up but sorts itself out after a few seconds. Also it's possible to jump the walls and the AI cars do this occasionally and mess up.

www.binary-people.com/images/rrc7.jpg

Rob Farley(Posted 2003) [#20]
Great fun with loads of potential.

I still think the camera needs to zoom out as you go faster though so you can see bends coming up.

The ground seems too slippy.

You can do so stange spins and things riding around on your roof.

It's really good fun though!

Beeps(Posted 2003) [#21]
the camera will change but isn't too important for now ;)

the ground is only slippy if you are flooring it on a bump or with your wheels locked left or right while flooring it

/edit - I stuffed the physics on that last download, I've fixed this slippy little bug now ;)

the spinning is because the wheel sensors are still touching the floor but this will change :)

Glad you like it though, what FPS are you all getting?

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2003) [#22]
Hay Dan.

Love what your doing with this, reminds me of the half done Rock 'n' Roll Racing game I was working on. Duno if you ever played it, on the snes. It was an amazing game and one id buy today if it was on the PC and in 3D.

I seem to recall a 3D version being done but it just wasent the same.

Could be a good Idea for you to take this game in that Direction, it would be well worth it. imho.

OFF TOPIC :::

Oh yeah. Is your e-mail working iv mailed you about 6 times with no reply. Hope its ok, or if your under a new addy let me know m8, iv also called a few times but never got through, also there have been a few people asking for you in irc. lol your well missed...

:)

Beeps(Posted 2003) [#23]
I'm back now as you can see, I'll be in IRC from tomorrow :) I've been having a coding holiday this Christmas, i.e. using my Christmas break to code code code :)

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2003) [#24]
Neat, only like an upward of 24 FPS here, on Athlon 1GHz, ATI 9600XT Card, 512MB RAM. Seems a bit slow. Slows way down when cars collide.

NobodyInParticular(Posted 2003) [#25]
I really like this a lot so far, the physics for the cars seems almost perfect. It reminds me of a game I used to play a lot on the SNES, but I can't remember it's name right off, I think it was called Ironman Racing, or something simular to that...

Rob(Posted 2003) [#26]
A few points of my own:

- The cars spin upside down
- it's a wee bit too slow framerate wise. I'm getting sub 20fps at a guess, and thats the fastest. The slowest is a stall.
- they should have a nippier response to feel like R/C cars

It's a great start though.

Beeps(Posted 2003) [#27]
I've removed an AI car and switched to only 1 camera, the new version gives me a steady 100+ fps with a drop to a low of 70fps when they have a bundle.

Beeps(Posted 2004) [#28]
New update for anyone who fancies a play, 4 camera modes now, sat-cam, heli-cam, chase-cam and bumper-cam. (keys 1 - 4)

Snarty(Posted 2004) [#29]
oooo, very nice, this shows major promise (netplay anyone?) :)

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#30]
It is nice yes.

I managed to get my rear wheel caught in the barrier though which meant I couldn't move at all.

Beeps(Posted 2004) [#31]
yes, that's something I'm working on. New version soon.

Beeps(Posted 2004) [#32]
Ya can't get stuck or leave the track now :)

Beeps(Posted 2004) [#33]
New shots...

Latest demo is here --> http://www.binary-people.com/downloads/beta/radicalrcbeta.zip

Beeps(Posted 2004) [#34]
Right, another update.

Laps are now counted for the player.

Rudimentary position information is in (1st, 2nd, 3rd) but it's a little twitchy.

Car physics reworked again, handles much better now, although the turning cicle cunningly doesn't let you pile round the bends without slowing down.

Got some scenery ideas going on - starting with forest. I'll consider school playground and streets etc a little later (not too important for now)

Demo is now 1.8mb

@ Vorderman - can we get an email conversation going regarding the use of ODE? I'm willing to share ideas on car physics if you are ;)

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2004) [#35]
Right I just had a bash at that there..

Must admit its looking bluddy sweet.

Beeps(Posted 2004) [#36]
YAY, major break-through and I've got this running at 180fps on my machine with extra AI cars. It really is amazing how much more grunt you get when you merge all your like meshes into a single surface :)

Vorderman(Posted 2004) [#37]
Hello Beeps,

Please email me at jkett@.... I have a couple of old versions of my car physics system laying around that you might be interested in. They're at home, but I should be able to post them up on my webpage. You're certainly welcome to the source code if it will be of use to you.

Beeps(Posted 2004) [#38]
Excellent thanks! :) I'll mail you later today.

Beeps(Posted 2004) [#39]
New demo is up with much better and faster physics, improved AI etc at http://www.binary-people.com/downloads/beta/radicalrcbeta.zip

MarkT(Posted 2004) [#40]
looks great

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#41]
OK.

It's much faster. And it's fun. I'm getting some big slow downs when you see all the track though so you're going to have to implement some kind of vis system so not all the track is rendered the whole time. (athlon 2600 gf3ti200).

My biggest problem is that it's nowhere nearly as good as Re-Volt from years back both graphically and gameplay. You've really got to give it something extra. I know it's in very early development but you need to play and/or look at this game to get some inspiration if you haven't already.

http://www.re-volt.com/screenshots4.html

Also, something you may want to look at is that you're using a seperate model and suface for each wheel. If you include the wheels in the main car mesh, rig it so the wheels are on the ends of bones and find child the wheels, you can spin them independantly of the rest of the mesh, therefore you'll only use 1 surface per car rather than 5.

Beeps(Posted 2004) [#42]
This isn't going to be very much like Re-Volt at all and never was going to be, I don't want to just recreate a previous RC game. Don't get me wrong, ReVolt had some cool features but it's just not the direction I want to take with this.

There's all sorts planned for Radical, not just racing other cars but Gotham2 style cone challenges and other goodies. I don't want to give too much away but let's just say that this is a 'test' track.