Updated Asteriods Clone

Community Forums/Showcase/Updated Asteriods Clone

Rob Farley(Posted 2003) [#1]
Still very early stages and lots more to come, however, thought I'd release this to get some early constructive comments.

Added homing missiles, bad guys the explode out of pods, some sound, and a few other bits and pieces here and there.

Let me know what you think.

Download Demo Here

darklordz(Posted 2003) [#2]
I tough i read A steroids clone.
But i love the 2d gfx and the motion blur is nice...

Shambler(Posted 2003) [#3]
Getting better all the time.

Perhaps some sort of weapon energy depletion should occur to stop you from holding down fire all of the time?

You could then add an weapon energy powerup and also have weapon energy recharge when weapons are not in use.

Rob(Posted 2003) [#4]
Perhaps it could excitingly zoom in on the player as he hits the eject button and gets excitedly ejected into space without a spacesuit and a token, useless, flaccid parachute...

Rob Farley(Posted 2003) [#5]
Shambler, totally agree with the holding down fire all the time, I've added weapon heat so it cuts out if you hold it down the whole time.

googlemesilly(Posted 2003) [#6]
ahh ... good old asteroids :)

Blu_Matt(Posted 2003) [#7]
Sweet. Reminds me of my nads. :-)

Hello all!

Mystik(Posted 2003) [#8]
LOL

Hi there Blu, I remember your nads ;)

Steve

Blu_Matt(Posted 2003) [#9]
Hey Steve! Just popped back for a gander, been away for a bit! Last time I saw you (BIT 2002?) I think you'd just released Ancipital... still going strong? :-)

Mystik(Posted 2003) [#10]
yep

:)

Still blitzing

What ya been up to?

Steve.

Blu_Matt(Posted 2003) [#11]
Setting up a company and working my ass off with web stuff.

I think I need to get back into games (or more specifically, Blitz) to take my mind off stuff.

Oh, and meeting my fiance! ;-D

(Oh, and apologies to Dr Av for hijacking his thread!)

GfK(Posted 2003) [#12]
Lo.

Zo Zo Zee Zar(Posted 2003) [#13]
BATTIE MOOOOOOOO!!!

Beaker(Posted 2003) [#14]
/me waves at Blu_Schmoo.

dan_upright(Posted 2003) [#15]
hey blu - nice to see you're still about

merry xmas from me and the family =]

Zo Zo Zee Zar(Posted 2003) [#16]
kin ell dan that was rather polite was it not? You got the mother in law round or something?

dan_upright(Posted 2003) [#17]
shut it ravey you casio

Blu_Matt(Posted 2004) [#18]
Hi to all the lovely folks who remember me! Sorry I wasn't able to reply earlier, I was offline (and off the mainland!) for a week or so!

Anyway, merry christmas and a very happy new year to all! :-)

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2004) [#19]
Dr Av.......

First the harsh criticism- brace yourself....
this is nothing new in terms of gameplay

but......
it does what it says on the tin and looks and plays great.

A few ideas...

Screen blur- looks great and really adds to effect, but does my head in after a while. It would be nice if u had the option of disabling it.

Weapons upgrades- allow player to save weapons upgrades and activate them when they choose for added tactical gameplay.

idea for a weapon-
Megabomb- all powerful but cannot travel under its own power. You tow it along, fly at chosen target and let it go. It continues in a straight line and goes cabluey on the first thing it touches.

Tractor beam- you have to use it to drag asteroids into a black whole.

Keep up the good work

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#20]
Ram,

The game play is developing, there's going to be much more to it than basic asteriods.

The screen blur was only there for taking screenshots! Although a lot of people like it so I'll probably keep that as an option as you suggested.

The weapons thing I'm struggling with, I agree the timed weapons thing isn't great, and I think activating things adds unnecessary complexity. I'm thinking of a Xenon 2 thing where you pick up weapons and you keep them until you sell them and every time you lose a life they power down until they disappear. Obviously this way there won't be so many pickups available.

Tractor beam I kinda like the idea of but not really sure how useful it would be. I like the idea of the megabomb though, that's cool. I've got mines in now so it would basically be the same as a mine but you can tow it.

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2004) [#21]
First of all nothing wrong with taking an old game idea and sticking your stamp on it. nice work...

Second.

@RAM ::

idea for a weapon-
Megabomb- all powerful but cannot travel under its own power. You tow it along, fly at chosen target and let it go. It continues in a straight line and goes cabluey on the first thing it touches.

Tractor beam- you have to use it to drag asteroids into a black whole.

/me grabs a pen and starts to write down those two cool ideas for his game ;)

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2004) [#22]
Dr Av-
def keep blur as an option. I think the weapons upgrade system you suggest would work great with the game.

Yavin-
glad you like some o them ideas. Def post a demo if u use any of it!

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2004) [#23]
@RAM I will be using it m8, I have already added the ideas to my Design DOC..

I was looking for a way to reposition some Static PDS units, I was just going to make em move, but now im gona tractor beam them into position...

And the Bomb, Idea will be used when taking out the games battle ships.

so thanks, :)

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2004) [#24]
Sounds interesting I'll look forward to it!