Quick fps test :)

Community Forums/Showcase/Quick fps test :)

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#1]
Hey, i was wonderin if you'z kind ppl would give me a fps reading on this. It's packed by molebox, so you've got to download it, then open it. You can't press open on the download window, i don't think it works :)

www.rosscrooks.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Blitz/test.exe

Zoom in and out with the mouse button.

puki(Posted 2003) [#2]
This produces huge variations - I was getting FPS from 120 to nearly 1000. However, by moving the camera to the centre of the board it ranged from 120 to almost 900 FPS - I suspect it is higher, as I am running a lot of background stuff at the moment.

I'm using 1GH Thunderbird, 512MB ram, GF3ti200(64MB), WinME, DX9b

puki(Posted 2003) [#3]
Interestingly, I have just retried it without moving the camera and the FPS ranges up to about 88 FPS (which is assumingly what you want to hear) the really high FPS results seem to occur when moving the camera (for me)

puki(Posted 2003) [#4]
I have just retried it moving the camera back to the centre and the FPS ranges up to about 200 FPS - but my first test definetly gave me a sustained FPS of 120 to 800+ from the centre of the board - I didn't imagine it.

Shambler(Posted 2003) [#5]
180 fps with the camera at start position.

300-400fps with the camera in the middle of the board.

Doggie(Posted 2003) [#6]
75 to 80 off the board and 160 to 247 on the board.

P4 2.6mhz 512mb ram GeForce4 mx

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#7]
Hmm... this might need alot of optimisation, but i suspect the biggest hit is coming from the particles when there right in front of the camera. I'll need to tame the fire a bit ;) Thanks guys!

Anyone with a lesser system available to give this a whirl?

puki(Posted 2003) [#8]
"Ross" is there supposed to be a rogue fireball on the 3rd pawn shield in on one of the sides of your chess board (depending on how you look at it)? I'm suspicious of this little fellar! Is this a bug?

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#9]
Hehe, you yeah, i messing about with demons breathing fire. Still don't know what to do with it. Single surface particle system runs quite well, so i can get away with putting in alot :) Worried about the high poly count tho. It stands at 33,000 odd...

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#10]
Hey, put up another version. Particle count and size reduced. Free roaming, so could you please give me a fps for a full view of the board. :)

www.rosscrooks.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Blitz/test.exe

gameproducer(Posted 2003) [#11]
218 FPS
[edit]oh... sorry... this was the starting position...[/edit]

xp2000+ athlon, 512 MB DDRRam, 80 gig 7200rpm HD, GeForce Ti 4200. WindowsXP DX9.0

puki(Posted 2003) [#12]
A full view of the board from where? I don't want to be picky, but have you got the left/right keys the "right" way around or have you "left" it to do later - fnar?

puki(Posted 2003) [#13]
From the camera start position up to 130fps - reversing camera with rmb (and touching nothing else) so that full board just inside screen, up to 100fps

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#14]
Ok, that's cool. The arrow keys are sort of rotating around a point about 10 unit away from the camera, so it's the direction you want to rotate instead of turn :) Thanks for your tests. Again, anyone who has an entry level system please test :)

Rob(Posted 2003) [#15]
85fps

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#16]
That's fairly decent fps rob, thanks :)