Character Design is so hard!

Community Forums/Showcase/Character Design is so hard!

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#1]
I tried and I tried and still my work is far from what I'd like to get. Lately I did this:

Do you think this is ok? Maybe I saved too much with the body and spent too many tris on the face. The face has about the same number of tris as the rest of the character...

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#2]
Model a real person, like you wife or something. Take a side and front photo and work from them. Your model looks very nice btw and i think it would suit the style of your FPS :D

Limbs are to skinny tho i think and hips maybe not wide enough.

Doggie(Posted 2003) [#3]
I think that's super! Exactly right for low poly game models.(Her hands look a little shriveled, could just be the angle) Good work. What are you using to model with?
Is she animated too? I'm having a devil of a time right now getting my TS characters rigged.

Doggie

Tom(Posted 2003) [#4]
Yeh the limbs look a bit thin, otherwise she looks good. Nice detail in the face (often neglected!)

Here's a link to female anatomy references.
Please note, they are nudes!, but they are for REFERENCE!

http://www.fineart.sk

Click on 'Female Anatomy Photos by Akira Gomi'

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#5]
thanks for the comments. In fact the body was recycled from my "nikitake" demo, I only modified the proportions a bit and made some corrections. The face is new, as well as the texture and its UV mapping. The face takes about 1/3 of a 512 Texture to prevent a blurred look. Modeling was done in 3dsmax 2.5, UVmapping in Lithunwrap 1.3 and texture painting in photosop 6. Yes, the hands still need some work, although they look better from diffrent angles. Those are "hold a gun" hands, using very few Tris.

Panno(Posted 2003) [#6]
>I tried and I tried and still my work is far from what I'd like to get

it's the same with the real women JFK !

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#7]
True :) btw I need one of those 3D Printers ;)

BTW PANNO I made some new Tests with the 3D Scanner Project, using your DLL, but I came to the conclusion that I need at least 640*480 Pixels to get a Scan that is useful in any way. At the moment the Laser Line Width differs from 0 to 6 Pixels, depending on the angle the beam hits the Figure. Of course, this is way too much for a 10 cm high Sculpture with 0.25mm Details on the surface. I think I will have to use 30 cm Sculptures painted completely white and scanned in at least 640*480px.

If you could implement a resolution selection in your DLL? I know, I already asked for the fast Hack Version... But unlike some Motion-capturing experiments, the 3D Scanner doesn't have to be very fast, instead a higher resolution would be useful. However, if I am gonna sell anything of these things I'll send you some cash for the DLL - promised!