Elf Demo released

Community Forums/Showcase/Elf Demo released

Caligula(Posted 2003) [#1]
This demo represents one level of an upcoming 3rd/1st person action game about Elves and Orcs. Featuring medieval combat with sword, bow, and destructible armor. Uses several products by the Blitz community such as, FONText, Swift Shadow System, Treemagik, and Xlnt GUI. (The instruction manual is accessible from the graphics setup menu).

You can download it here: http://www.3rdheavenstudios.com/downloads/EOEv1.0.exe
(The demo is about 17MB)

Any feedback and suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Filax(Posted 2003) [#2]
Really nice model !

Caligula(Posted 2003) [#3]
Thanks for the response filax! The original elf female model was done by Mark Shahan, I just modified her to match my concept art, and I adapted the orcs from higher poly models using a 3dsmax plugin (Kaldera).

By the way, I love all your demos, and the new Egypt one is awesome too! I wish I could get you to work for me!

Caff(Posted 2003) [#4]
The intro plays, but after I click Level 1 I get a MAV about 1/3 of the way loading.

800x600x32 all options off.

800mhz PIII
256mb RAM
Geforce3 Ti-200 64mb

Filax(Posted 2003) [#5]
:) lol ! no time my friend ! snif ! no enought time !
But continue your game ! this is a very nice project !

But ... Can you make a more colored landscape texture ?
it's little bit dark , i find ?? i have test it on a TFT
monitor.

Caligula(Posted 2003) [#6]
Jesus Pants - thanks for the info. That is a strange problem; usually if you get through the intro there isn't any trouble, since the game and the intro share the same functions and graphics. I have tried to duplicate the problem on several different computers, but everything looks ok. The only thing I can think of is to try it with the "low system option" button on the graphics menu, with sound off and 16bit color(also try windowed mode). Another thing to try is to turn on "hi res textures" - my texture resampling routine might be malfunctioning. The only graphics cards I have been able to test on are Intel, Geforce2, and Geforce3(1st generation), so I might have missed something. I will try to build in some better error trapping and release a patch for the demo. Let me know if you have any luck.

filax - Thanks again! If you turn off "hardware multi texture" on the graphics menu, it will brighten things up quite a bit. Some of the light maps cause the game to be too dark on some monitors, and this option will turn them off. I will go back and try to adjust the contrast a bit better for future releases.

Space_guy(Posted 2003) [#7]
im kinda confused though. i couldnt get the elf to attack with the sword. i could kick and fire the arrow though. odd

looks good atleast. but you should reconsider the 3d logo comming back and back and back :) once is enough in my eyes

coffeedotbean(Posted 2003) [#8]
Man 17MB :( my 56k would go on strike... Models look nice though.

ErikT(Posted 2003) [#9]
I can't play it on my comp but the screenshot looks very nice, except for the trees and far background which look a bit too colourful/noisy to fit in.

Caligula(Posted 2003) [#10]
Space_guy - To attack with the sword, just click the mouse once, and she should attack. If you hold the mouse button down or click in rapid succession, she will just quiver a bit. You can click again during an attack to interrupt the current one and start another one. Point taken about the logo - I will kill it after the first appearance in the next version ;)

coffeedotbean - sorry for the size, I tried to compress it as much as possible without losing anything (I feel your pain - I also have 56k). I will try to remove some of the extra stuff, like the instruction manual, and release a "lite" version soon.

Beaker(Posted 2003) [#11]
Works fine here. And it is a very nice piece of work. I had to run it at 640x480 and turn all effects off to get it smooth, but thats to be expected on my rig.

Keep it up.

NTense(Posted 2003) [#12]
Wow, very nice. It ran pretty smooth for me at 1600x1200, and looked really good. I really liked the "shattering armor" effect, and the reflections on the armor! I found her a bit difficult to control in the fight sequences (though she's got a mean kick.. I found it to be more effective than the sword). Does her magic do anything? I couldn't notice much other than the leaves falling (nice effect btw). Overall, I think you've got a winner :D .. I agree w/ Filax, that it's a bit dark, but still, very cool. Did you do her animations, or someone else?

googlemesilly(Posted 2003) [#13]
What a fantastic game !!!
Did u do the music as well ? It's very atmospheric !
and from the credits u can see there are so many
combined talents from the blitz community!
now that's team work ! if you didn't say it
u wouldn't know it's a blitz game, well i wouldn't ...
I liked this one alot!

Caligula(Posted 2003) [#14]
Thanks so much for the comments everyone! I appreciate your time evaluating the game.

Eric Thon - Thanks for the heads up on the background. I will try to blend it in a bit better.

Masterbeaker - Thanks for your contribution to the game (FONText)! I am glad it runs on your computer.

NTense - I am trying to get the sword attacks balanced a bit better so they will be more effective. The magic falling leaves serve a dual purpose: they heal you when you touch them, but they also do damage to enemies that they touch. I did most of the animations, but some of the combat was edited from some motion capture that I had laying around.

Sunshine Dreamer - Thanks for noticing the music. I wrote the intro theme about a year ago, and it was my main inspiration for the game. Also, the great products and contributions from the Blitz community have helped tremendously in making this project come to life - and I can't fail to mention my gratitude to Mark Sibly!

Caligula(Posted 2003) [#15]
(original deleted) Hmm - appears some comedian posted something on my account! Sheesh, can't leave your computer unattended for 5 minutes with all the pranksters around.

Anthony Flack(Posted 2003) [#16]
Oh I see... you're in some kind of communal situation then?

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#17]
lol

poopla(Posted 2003) [#18]
Is there a "slap back into reality" button somewhere? ;) I havnt tried it, but looks nice.

Danny(Posted 2003) [#19]
LOL!

Zmatrix(Posted 2003) [#20]
looks nice.
Runs pretty good here,
1024x768,32 everything on
hovered around 60fps until I ran around to get every one on the level chasing me(just to see the frame rate)..lol then it dropped to 19-20 a few times(according to fraps)
athlon xp 2200 /radeon8500

Zmatrix

eBusiness(Posted 2003) [#21]
Works fine with my GF 3 Ti 200 45.23.

About the game (mentoining the bad sides, the rest is good thou). There seems to be a problem with 1st person view mode, I often feel out of myself, the trees seem to have different colour shades depending on the background, could you explain the rules of getting new speelpoints, intro is boring, arrows consume spellpoints (bug?), the menu screen have a framerate of about 1 fps, the animation when she moves to the side is really ugly.

The credits say your game will be out soon, seems like you need to do a lot of work before that's reality.

Smurfpuss(Posted 2003) [#22]
like looks great a nice dark cave scen woulde look cool or like a elf forest with big trees and swamp lands and maby a great city

damm i am anoying

Smurfpuss(Posted 2003) [#23]
i tryid it out really great game but i think it takes some time for the char to hit the enemy when the button is pressed has that some thing to do that the armor stuff breaking up or did you make it that way

Smurfpuss(Posted 2003) [#24]
is the landscape a terrain or 3d mesh you made

<Death>(Posted 2003) [#25]
Looks great, but after playing for a little while (killing the first oponent and running over the corpse) my computer completely reset...

(winXP Pro Radeon 9700 Pro 1GB Ram, 2.53GHz P4)

Caligula(Posted 2003) [#26]
Anthony - No communal situation here, just sneaking a bit of quality time on the T1 at work ;) - but at least my boss has a sense of humor!

ebusiness - Sorry the intro was boring! I just figured most people would skip it anyway (at least after the first time). I am trying to work out the menu slow down - it seems to happen only on certain computers. The trees have problems because of Zbuffer issues, maybe I can try Master Beaker's Z-order sort function. I worked on several side animations, but haven't quite got a good one yet. The arrows are supposed to take mana (they are magic arrows) and sword damage to flesh is what replenishes your mana (see instruction manual on graphics setup menu).

Zmatrix - Thanks! I am still trying to find a way to keep the framerate up with many enemies. I probably need to put a cap on then number that can be active at one time.

Smurfpuss - Thanks! The last level takes place in a swamp with a castle in the middle. I wanted to do a city and make it more RPG like, but I will have to save that for a future add-on. Each level is in a different location, so hopefully the scenery will get better as the game progresses. The terrain is just a 3D mesh and the sword will deflect off the armor until it does enough damage to break it. I might add some sort of "power-up" that enables you to smash through the armor with one hit.

Death - Sorry for the crash. I don't have access to a computer with a Radeon, so I haven't been able to test on that type of card. I will take a look and see if I can find anything suspicious. I may have introduced a memory leak when I added object/handle to some of the types recently.

NTense(Posted 2003) [#27]
Hi Death,
I've had many problems (and know others have as well) with random crash/resets with Blitz and Radeon cards. I think it's a somewhat common problem.

Techlord(Posted 2003) [#28]
[:)] Very Inspirational. Great artwork - relevant and consistent. Commercial savvy. Heroine - Sexy and Powerful. Love the Intro music.

[:(] Fighting system, smooth transition between weapons, but quirky control, need more speed and response. Great Armor concept, however, need a means to restore, folks love cool armor. Magic? What Magic?

[!] Overall a 7.5 on the 1 to 10 Hypemeter. Fix the fighting control and its a guaranteed $eller! I could definately use the talent on this team...keep up the amazing work.