2nd attempt at a human model

Community Forums/Showcase/2nd attempt at a human model

Rob Farley(Posted 2003) [#1]
Constructive critism would be appreciated.

The skin is supposed to be low detail and cartoony(ish)

Still yet to bone and animate it.

poopla(Posted 2003) [#2]
hey lookin' good! her breasts seem a bit... off.

Beaker(Posted 2003) [#3]
Not bad. I would say the breasts are a little low and a little too banana shaped/pointy. Arse might have similar issues, hard to tell without her rotating. The proportions of hips/arse to arm thickness isn't right - make arse smaller or arms thicker.

Get those right and you are onto a winner.

I'm far from an expert modeller, but if you want me to have a tweak I will.

Hope this helps.

Ruz(Posted 2003) [#4]
good start. I would pose the arms a bit different to that though. it my cause you problems when you skin/bone it.
perhaps the breasts are a bit low down.
neck could be shortened a little , though that could be seen as a stylistic thing

ErikT(Posted 2003) [#5]
To me the thighs look way too thin and the neck somewhat long. You might want to try grabbing all vertices from lower neck to mid-pelvis and move them upwards a little to fix the proportions. Right now the entire torso seems to have sunk into the pelvis, also resulting in the long neck. Good value for polys, and overall nice model.

Rob(Posted 2003) [#6]
Nice start! You just need to make more of them till you get the hang of anatomy.

Beaker(Posted 2003) [#7]
Heh, making a 3d lady is a thankless task, cos everyone has their own idea about the perfect pixel chick.

Rob(Posted 2003) [#8]
Just put two moons on a twig I say.

c5ven(Posted 2003) [#9]
post a wire. i'm betting that tri count could get you a little more detail. not much tho. overall not bad. some valid comments, but modeling people isn't easy. agree with the arm placement. Da Vinci pose probably better.

Apollonius(Posted 2003) [#10]
hhahaa weird that all guys always find the little bugs in a girl's breast lol

Mustang(Posted 2003) [#11]
Yeah, I guess you have to have only perfect breasts because that's all ppl are staring at... 8)

googlemesilly(Posted 2003) [#12]
it looks good the goggles look a bit high ...
lol Mustang ...

Rob Farley(Posted 2003) [#13]
I've updated it, I'll post a new screeny this evening... made the neck shorter, played with her boobs, and then boned her.

Please add school boy humour below.

googlemesilly(Posted 2003) [#14]
lol

ashmantle(Posted 2003) [#15]
I suppose the breasts would look better if she weren't wearing that super tight top.. Make it like clothes usually are, on top of the body instead of that body condom she has now..

The area between her breasts should not sink in like it is now, it should be almost the same height as the breasts.. (bad explaination)

I think it looks like a really good start :)

Rob Farley(Posted 2003) [#16]
The area between her breasts should not sink in like it is now, it should be almost the same height as the breasts.. (bad explaination)
That's a very very good point!

Rob Farley(Posted 2003) [#17]
Update:

Still haven't got the bones in quite the right places... but... it's getting there...

Ruz(Posted 2003) [#18]
Looks better , but I think you could lose quite a few polys ans till make it look good.I am thinking of about 750 .

ErikT(Posted 2003) [#19]
Lookin' good. I still think the thighs look like they belong to a person 30 pounds lighter tho'. But from own experience, legs are hard to get to look right from all angles with lo-poly characters. Maybe redistribute some faces from the breasts to the thighs to make for easier shaping.

c5ven(Posted 2003) [#20]
i'm with Ruz. arms look good - efficient. but legs and breasts have quite a lot, imo. i'm thinking you could move some of the tri's to the shoulders and arms to clean them up a bit and still have nice detail on those other spots. give you better balance and improve overall look. also improve the shape with the arms/shoulders in extreme positions (e.g. looking a bit abrupt going from the left breast up to the left shoulder).

also agree the goggles seem a tad high. i expect her eyes are at the bottom of the goggles. eyes are basically vertically centered on the head (not including hair), so unless her head is REALLY tall/big and that's not really her hair standing up on top, the eye placement is a bit high.

lastly, i think you should consider tweaking the stomach region/pelvis and the buttocks - well, the lower torso. she appears to be "fit", yet her midsection looks undefined. emphasizing the structure (abs, ribcage, etc) would help. her butt also doesn't "flow" into the lower back; looks a bit artificial. i'm looking for structure that ties them together.

lots of comments here, but it's an excellent effort.

Rob Farley(Posted 2003) [#21]
Time to bin it and start again me thinks!

Ricky Smith(Posted 2003) [#22]
I certainly wouldn't bin it - it may not be perfect but a lot of the critisism is over the top - jeez - this is a model for a 3d game not a sculptured work of art !

Caligula(Posted 2003) [#23]
I agree with Smiff. It looks great, especially for just a second attempt. If you don't like her, send her my way - I wouldn't mind using her in a project or two. The latest version shows much improvement over the original. Keep up the great work!

Ruz(Posted 2003) [#24]
smiff ,thats nonsense, surely he wants it to look good.
art is a big as part of the game these days as the programming .none of the criticisms were stinging , just common sense critiques really.

dr av i would n't bin it at all,ony needs a few things putting right

c5ven(Posted 2003) [#25]
- shoulders are really tough which is why i took notice.

- my first model was asymmetric. i discovered the problem of having legs together when it was too late. in this case, you can move the one leg into a better position by just selecting the verts, setting a pivot point and rotating it all out. a little tweaking and it'll be fine.

- i thought the face was fine for that polycount. unless the goggles are integrated... that could be a problem :( but a problem that can be overcome.

- knees appear to have plenty of verts. wrists tho could use a couple perhaps.

- i UV map after i rig. even with a beautifully sculpted model, there's always some odd deformation that needs tweaking. that can screw up the map.

I would definitely NOT "bin it". seems to me like you're progressing just like every other decent 3D modeler out there. getting an overall shape is one milestone. but the tweaks and fixes are always another hurdle.

press on, doc.

Beaker(Posted 2003) [#26]
Don't bin it! It's looking excellent now.

Ruz(Posted 2003) [#27]
The best thing you can do is get good reference and look at professional models and see how they have been made.

Thats How I learned and now I am rich and famous and all the girls love me.( tongue firmly in cheek)

As important as how the model looks, it is how it is constructed so that it animates/deforms well that is equally important.
But I think you are doing well so far.

robleong(Posted 2003) [#28]
Rob, I think your model looks simply amazing!

Agamer(Posted 2003) [#29]
Yeh I love it as well what cup size ave you made her lol