Heroes of the Future is now available !

Community Forums/Showcase/Heroes of the Future is now available !

mouss38(Posted 2003) [#1]
Heroes of the Future is now available here :

http://smoussouni.free.fr/datafiles/hotf/Index.htm

Almo(Posted 2003) [#2]
Memory Access Violation before it displays anything.

:(

mouss38(Posted 2003) [#3]
strange... I think you are the only one..... I'm lookinf for a solution...

poopla(Posted 2003) [#4]
/me anxiously downloads the demo.

Magitta(Posted 2003) [#5]
Okay here is in short what i think. The concept is kool and the menus and stuff is allright but the game controls really suck. It's really hard to target enemies and walking around without the ability to control running/walking yourself is really frustrating. I suggest you make use of the mouse in targeting. You stick a little bit to much to phantasy star online ^_~ Graphically it's more less okay. The training level is really ugly (no offense) and some enemies are not textured. I am aware that it's still in dev. but it's just that it stuff like that really catches the eye... I really had better expectations of this game and i hope your next demo will be better.

mouss38(Posted 2003) [#6]
the game is better when you use a gamepad... :o)

fredborg(Posted 2003) [#7]
I like it! I think it has great potential!

The graphics could be a bit more polished, but still it has a weird SEGA touch to it :) It would be nice if you didn't have to keep the 'Attack' key pressed, but could use it as a toggle instead. And the combat's are a little dull, but with some special effects, I'm sure fans of this kind of thing would love it!

Some of the conversations are a little funny, and have a few spelling mistakes. But overall I think you've done a great job! I dig the menu sound effects (real SEGAish)!

simonh(Posted 2003) [#8]
Moved this to user projects...

Rob(Posted 2003) [#9]
http://www.blitzbasic.co.nz/Community/posts.php?topic=28140

---------------------------
Error!
Memory access violation
OK

when cycling through the diffrent control methods.
It would not let me change my character's name
It gave me a memory access violation soon as I started and the scientist spoke to me.

(tu) sinu(Posted 2003) [#10]
when the first text meassge ingame comes up, i crashes with access violation error.

Looks very polished otherwise, the player models a bit low poly though.
The run/walk, they're from the studio max samples(or look almost identical), have you checked you can use them in a commercial release.
You should sync the footstep sounds to the steps of the player, doesn't look right with footsteps playing even when your feet aren't landing down.

Also crashes in the options when you select keyboardindirectinput and try and press right again on it.

Rob(Posted 2003) [#11]
The 3dsmax sample motions can be used freely provided they are not distributed in their original form ie. .bip etc

googlemesilly(Posted 2003) [#12]
ooh goodie !!

patisawesome(Posted 2003) [#13]
I can't read the languange the site is in, is it freeware?
-me

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#14]
Hey, this looks quite good! The fighting system sorta sucks tho, and the door beside the bit with the monsters is walk-through-able. Very cool tho :)

Rob Farley(Posted 2003) [#15]
I think you need to do something about the movement control. I think you need to make it turn smoothly so instead of sharp turns it rotates towards the direction you want to go.

A bit of improvement to the models would be nice, the main thing I noticed were the faces they kinda looks a bit rushed by comparison to the rest of it. The animation is pretty good though.

Syncing the foot step sound too the foot steps would be good too.

As Fredborg said, it needs more polish and a spell checker run over it. I'm sure if I was into this sort of game I'd really like it too.

It's great to see a blitz project actually looking like it's going to be finished! We need more people like you on these boards.

Caff(Posted 2003) [#16]
I liked it a lot, loads of work has gone into this. The fighting was a bit basic, but it does kind of work. My real problem was hitting boxes I had to stand really close to break them.

The graphics are good, but need a bit more depth - maybe if you use lightmaps it will look really great.

I liked the way you could talk to people too, felt really 'alive' :)

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#17]
It was cool too, when you went by the two soilders, they saluted you :)

mouss38(Posted 2003) [#18]
I will think about all your suggestions... Thank you !

MilkyBarKid(Posted 2003) [#19]
what are the controls , the message appeared on the screen about the investigators being needed and i couldn;t get rid of it, does it use th emouse as well!

GfK(Posted 2003) [#20]
I can't read the languange the site is in, is it freeware?
No, its French.

MilkyBarKid(Posted 2003) [#21]
Ok, couple of things, i have to go backwards through the resulations to get to the res that i wanted! (no idea why, prob my graphics card)

The game is actaully not playable for me, not because of video problems etc, but becasue of the controls, i have a laptop so i dont have a numeric keypad, i have to hold a button to get that so can't do that, while moving and attacking at the same time :)

With some polish this would be a good game, but for me first, the controls need sorting!

(tu) sinu(Posted 2003) [#22]
if this got a bit of polish it would be top class, maybe you should think about getting a good 3d artist on board to add to that area cos the characters let the game down a bit ie poor animations and models, textures are ok though and the levels are nice, i like it alot though when it doesn't crash and has that console feel and style to it.

Midnight(Posted 2003) [#23]
Game got stuck once the first message appeared. (had to CTRL-ALT-DEL)

MilkyBarKid(Posted 2003) [#24]
you have to press 2 or 3 on the nueric keypad, so i if you are on a lappy like me you got to fiddle with function keys etc

mouss38(Posted 2003) [#25]
a new realease is coming soon :)

Sweenie(Posted 2003) [#26]
@Gfk, ROFL! ;P

patisawesome(Posted 2003) [#27]
Unable to create 3D scene. :(

edit: How do you load the map files?

eBusiness(Posted 2003) [#28]
Can't attack, hold both r and num 6, and tap them, and try other keys, and.... It's crap, the gfx is ok, but even if the controls did work they would be unuseable.

mouss38(Posted 2003) [#29]
"unable to create 3d scene" ?
Your graphic card seems to be a little bit old... Try to close some applications (especially 2d and 3d one)

about the others problems :
the VERSION 2 is coming for the next days! :o)

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2003) [#30]
Unable to set graphics mode when I try to start.

mouss38(Posted 2003) [#31]
ENAY what is the resolution used ? (in the options)

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2003) [#32]
Well this system is in 32bit 1600x1200 but on your game the default resolution was used. Whatever that was.

Card is Radeon 9800 Pro

Danny(Posted 2003) [#33]
Same here, Memory Access Violation before it displays anything.

Danny(Posted 2003) [#34]
Check out the Elf demo, wich prompts the user for resolution, lores/hires textures, etc. very safe way to start. no problems there...

patisawesome(Posted 2003) [#35]
My resolution is 16bit

mouss38(Posted 2003) [#36]
ok i will update this in the next version :o)

mouss38(Posted 2003) [#37]
patisawesome,

How do you load the map files?

map files are loaded by the game with simple "ReadLine" commands... Your can, if you want, open each map files with notepad...

(sorry fo the time)