Test my 2D quad game

Community Forums/Showcase/Test my 2D quad game

coffeedotbean(Posted 2003) [#1]
Following on from my post about a set a functions I wrote (based on skidracers technequie) about pixel perfect quads heres a little demo showing them in action.

I've also released it to see if there are any performance issues, im new to the 3D side of blitz.

This is a game in writing with the the help of a top class pixel artist. please post any problems etc.

http://www.jabawokie.ukgamers.net/Jester_zombie.zip (844k)

Syntax has added skidracers code to his spritecontrol library, head over to BC to grab that.

Panno(Posted 2003) [#2]
20 fps
130 quads
11,7 mb vmem used

looks great

make the run for each zombie different i think its look better

eBusiness(Posted 2003) [#3]
Hmmm, seems like a lot of vmem for such an app. You really waste system resources.

coffeedotbean(Posted 2003) [#4]
Panno what gfx card you using how much vram etc.

ebusiness, the nature of the system means that there will be some wasted resources, becuase all textures used must be square and of a certain size (32,64,128,256,512,1024... etc) the biggest drain are the two 1024x1024 images used, which i'll eventualy tile which will shave about 3MB of the Vram usage, also the game will run in 16bit so if you run it on a 32bit desktop the vram usage will double. if you run the current demo on a 16bit desktop it only uses 7.7MB, take the 3MB off when the background images are tiled and your left with around 5MB VRam.

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#5]
85 Fps, that's my monitor refresh rate (probably higher). Same VRAM usage as above.

Panno(Posted 2003) [#6]
tnt2

i see no green man !

Rob(Posted 2003) [#7]
I like it

Beaker(Posted 2003) [#8]
I'm not getting any masking/alphaing on the sprites. Lots of black rectancles everywhere. And, I can only see one little man.

smilertoo(Posted 2003) [#9]
it runs fine but no way to see if its slow or not, youve locked it to the vsync rate.

Perturbatio(Posted 2003) [#10]
75 fps (My refresh rate)
11.8MB VRAM

runs nice and smoothly and looks fine.

Anthony Flack(Posted 2003) [#11]
It's nice; I like it. Ran fine here (p4 1.4, GeForce2) but - I checked your media, and the amount of vidmem you're wasting is criminal. You could probably get all those graphics onto 2 256x256 tiles. What you do is, you use uv coordinate manipulation to grab whatever part of the tile you need for your sprite... this is what I used to cram in all my sprites, all of them different dimensions, into vidmem with minimum wasted space.

Bouncer(Posted 2003) [#12]
I suggest you use a single surface system for a that kind of game...

It seems a bit slow with such a small number of tiles.

coffeedotbean(Posted 2003) [#13]
Anthony, I remember you talking about that you used that for your Cletus game back when your relased a little teaser, thats a good idea, I'll do some experiments.

Bouncer most cards, only old laptops and onboard chips cant do dual surfaces, but then again these system probably could not run the game any how due to lack of vram and DX7 compatibily.

Beaker(Posted 2003) [#14]
Any clue why it doesn't work on mine?

Wiebo(Posted 2003) [#15]
'cos you suck, man!

coffeedotbean(Posted 2003) [#16]
Maybe ;)
But more likly your card does not support HWMultiTex (Hardware Multi Texturing), I'll add an option for users to disable this in the next demo.