Servant MMOrpg engine

Community Forums/Showcase/Servant MMOrpg engine

ckob(Posted 2003) [#1]
http://servant.binary-people.com/about.php

I would like to mention that I am selling the sourcecode to my mmorpg engine. when purchased you will get

blitzplay 1.0
Full documentation *kept up to date*
Full source code
Free updates for source code
All the media models,sprites,textures
Free media updates
Email support
Access to member’s page, forum, and help page
Permission to use all code and media in any software commercial or non commercial.

Go here for screenshots
http://servant.binary-people.com/screenshots.php

Everyone who has bought the engine loves it so I figured I would tell the community about it again just in case some of you didnt see it. The engine isn't complete its just the basics but the users get free sourcecode and model updates.

Please only post if your intrested.

the_cre8or(Posted 2003) [#2]
this is amazing, i got it, i love the server app, you can see the clouds moving on your screen.

and that website rocks ;)

MarkT(Posted 2003) [#3]
I always like the game, im glad that its not being scrapped but its living on as a engine. Good job ckob.

Agamer(Posted 2003) [#4]
kwl I want to buy it and probally will as soon as I get B+ so I can us ethe server code
#
Is it still being updated

Skitchy(Posted 2003) [#5]
Sounds really good.
One question - how easy would it be to convert it to a 'first person' engine? I'd imagine the answer will be 'very easy' :) but I thought I'd ask anyway.

the_cre8or(Posted 2003) [#6]
Agamer: the server comes as source and a compiled version. it is still being updated.

LineOf7s(Posted 2003) [#7]
Better make some arrangement with Surreal to sell BlitzPlay, since it's not actually yours to sell.

ckob(Posted 2003) [#8]
yeah ive already got it arranged with surreal:P

If enough intrest is raised I might consider converting the server code to blitz3d as well so people dont have to buy B+.

Skitchy: the engine already has 3rd and first person view and I made a custom camera control update for one of the members I might release as well.

-=Darkheart=-(Posted 2003) [#9]
2 things:

1) Is there a demo to play with?

2) Are you aware that Blitz seems to have problems when running for a LONG time (more than 4 days straight?), I'm not sure if this is just Blitz 3D as well as BP but when I ran a Blitz 3D as a server for a long time it used to screw up and the program was doing virtually nothing. IMHO there must be a memory leak that is quite slight but builds up over time.

Darkheart

ckob(Posted 2003) [#10]
um I ran a server for the TS beta for 3 months without restarting it and there was no problems at all. I mean I had to restart the server after I made changes but never had any type of problem like you say.

I haven't made a demo yet mainly because I dont know how I should go about protecting the models and other media whats to stop someone from using the media without a license.

-=Darkheart=-(Posted 2003) [#11]
That's wierd, I had a program which was just polling a network drive for a file every 30 seconds or so (just using Filetype) after 4-5 days it would hang on Windows 2000 every time. After that I was rather wary of using Blitz 3D in a long running server type role.

Still if you've run it for 3 months it must not effect TS. I've always rather wanted to do a MMORPG but they tend to be a rather unending commitment and timesink so I've stuck to smaller more achieveable projects.

I'm currently working on a dogfighting client/server prog using PB for the server and Blitz for the client.

Darkheart

ckob(Posted 2003) [#12]
yes I have heard of weird problems with windows 2000 and blitz when it uses network commands but I use xp. There have been some cases were TSE wouldnt connect to the server on windows 2000 I still havent figured out why

the_cre8or(Posted 2003) [#13]
I own the engine, its great :)

i'm making an online RPG from it, its really good and the documentation helps alot, especially when it comes tosome of the harder stuff :)

i'd recommend it to any intermediate to advanced game developer who is interest in online programming/ making an online rpg.