Match Blocks Full Released

Community Forums/Showcase/Match Blocks Full Released

starfox(Posted 2003) [#1]

Finally I have Match Blocks Released, and a proper demo. In both the demo and the full version (after purchase), I've updated the simple background from this old screenshot.

Go Here to see more info, the demo, and the purchase link. Please support me by buying the game, Thanks!

Download & Info

GfK(Posted 2003) [#2]
Going against the principles of "graphics aren't everything" and while I accept that we can't all be Pablo Picasso, I really think you need to make it a bit prettier.

The whole GUI thing looks like an afterthought/placeholder graphics. The bit on the left is very plain and boring, and has no fewer than four different fonts in it, which doesn't make it look better - it just makes every element look detached from everything else.

You should also think about doing something with the game area background, like putting a picture or at least a texture of some sort in it.

If you weren't charging $15 for the full version, you would probably have gotten away with it the way it is.

coffeedotbean(Posted 2003) [#3]
I agree with Gfx... people wont (me included.. normaly) download a game that looks like it took 5 minets to put together (I know you spent far more time than that) but the buying public would not think so. Take a look at the games from www.gamehouse.com for inspiration. And download the 60 day trail of PaintShop Pro www.jasc.com.

On a positive note the game does feel nice, satifying explosions and I like the menus and buttons sliding about the place, but if I saw a screen on a website I would not download it.

So up the gfx and you should do well.

starfox(Posted 2003) [#4]
Thanks guys,

I've updated the screenshot(the old screenshot is from early versions of the game) to the current version. Also what do you guys think I need to do the left panel, and what do you guys think I should charge for this game?

Nebula(Posted 2003) [#5]
I would at least smooth out each visible pixel. A little shading on the gui would probably not hurt either.

eBusiness(Posted 2003) [#6]
He's right, when it's pre-rendeerd there is no reason not to shine it up. I always make such images larger than i need them, and then scale them down, antialiasing for everybody. And by the way, at least your earlier demo is easy to crack (no more said here, but you'll need to be a little into programming and stuff in order to figure out, so don't worry), in strategy mode there is three phases, in the first you get points by chance, cause it's impossible to predict what will happen. In the second phase you'll need to think a bit in order to make the few points that can be gathered, in the third phase it does'n matter, you'll lose. See, try to make the game only consist of phase two, and maybe shine it up a bit.

coffeedotbean(Posted 2003) [#7]
Heres a little something i kocked up in PSP, feel free to copy and or use any of this, no credit needed. It shows more than i can say, basicly make sure you clearly seperate the play area and the stats area, and try not to leave 1 area the same colour. That my 2p any ways... good luck.

starfox(Posted 2003) [#8]
Thanks coffeedotbean for the pointer graphics.

The thing about the gui, is that it is not all attached to one bitmap. The left panel consist of multiple bitmaps all put together on one bitmap, this allows flexibility in resolution change. If I blured the individual images, it would probably mess with the masking.

On a lighter note, what do you think of the music, and do you think this game is a success or a failure?