Beta Test Flip-It!

Community Forums/Showcase/Beta Test Flip-It!

PartyTop(Posted 2003) [#1]
Here is the full working version of our Blitz-3D game Flip-It:

Feedback on how and where any errors occur are greatly appreciated.

Download Here (Updated 05-Dec-03):
http://www.anarchyent.com/flipit/flipit_beta1.4.4.zip

Thanks!

fredborg(Posted 2003) [#2]
I get a memory violation, just when the loading bar has started moving. That's like 1 second after I launch the game.

PartyTop(Posted 2003) [#3]
Much appreciated, did you get any music and graphics or did it just die?

Also, what are your machine specs?

Rather frustrating, as I haven't been able to replicate on 8 different machines with varying specs.

I've put a new verison up which tracks what percent of resources are loaded, if I knew where it stopped it could give me some clues

((New Link Below))

Bouncer(Posted 2003) [#4]
It starts for me, but then when I get in the game

1. In puzzle mode it quits immediately (I get to see the playfield and the red block)

2. In the endurance mode it quits immediately when the second block hits the ground. And it's always like this.

Both modes display the famous "memory access violation"

I tested many times. Both modes allways do the things described above. So it isn't any random bug.

Maybe some gfx/sounds are not loading properly OR some array might get out of bounds.

Hope you nail the bug.

Oh... and my machine is Athlon 1800xp, WinXP , Radeon 9600pro

fredborg(Posted 2003) [#5]
I get almost the same as Bouncer on the new version.

1. Is just like bouncers
2. Memory error when the FIRST block hits the ground.

P4-2.2GHz, Win2000, Geforce4200-Ti

Perturbatio(Posted 2003) [#6]
All I get is a black screen, then memory access violation immediately after running the program.

CnfuzedCoder(Posted 2003) [#7]
Tested this on my Dell Laptop, PIII 1Ghz 256mb RAM 16mb Radeon gfx card I think. The opening screen looks fine, music plays, I get to the menu.

When I go to tutorial or run puzzle mode, it crashes when zooming in.

When I run endurance mode, I can play for a while before it crashes.

All crashes are a "Memory Access Violation"

JoeRetro(Posted 2003) [#8]
I briely see the loading bar with 20% completed then I get the dreaded Memory access violation :(

JoeRetro(Posted 2003) [#9]
oops..my computer specs:

AMD 1.4ghz
W2K
Geforce TI-4600

Warren(Posted 2003) [#10]
I have much the same experience. Everything loads fine, I hear music and see the menu. When I choose tutorial or puzzle game it starts up, zooms in on the playing field and when the zoom stops - memory access violation.

Radeon 9700
Dual Athlon processors
WinXP Pro
2GB RAM

PartyTop(Posted 2003) [#11]
Many thanks all...

Quick question for those able to zoom in on playing field: Does the level description show up, or does it go directly into "Memory Access Violation"?

Currently working on a new build, thanks again everyone.

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#12]
Sounds like your missing a couple of images :)

PartyTop(Posted 2003) [#13]
Here's the newest build:

((New Link Below))

From everyone's feedback it looks like I was trying to load a texture that didn't exist. I believe its fixed now. Please download and see how your milage varies.

Can anyone shed light on why the identical exe and directory path would work within my development environment (more than one machine), and blow up everywhere else? Makes bug-squashing difficult...

Thanks again!

Shambler(Posted 2003) [#14]
Happy to beta test this for you although I get the Memory Access Violation, heres what happens...

Program starts fine

I click on tutorial and the game screen appears and comes in close then the M A V happens.

It's probably some media you aren't including.

Shambler(Posted 2003) [#15]
Ok, more info

In tutorial, and puzzle mode easy/normal/expert it crashes as I said above.

In endurance mode it crashes only after the first block hits the deck.

PartyTop(Posted 2003) [#16]
Is that with the latest version (Beta1.4.2)?

Looks like I'm back to bug hunting...

Shambler(Posted 2003) [#17]
Yes m8
hmm..Blitz needs its own little chatroom....is there one?

fredborg(Posted 2003) [#18]
Works for me now (on another lower spec machine P3-733MHz Geforce2-GTS). Good fun too, but a bit too easy.

I think you should make it possible to see what's on the other side of the box, or spin it slower before it drops.

Also it seems like the first box dropping on each level goes faster than the rest?

Shambler(Posted 2003) [#19]
Since its running on some PC and not others...recently someone posted a demo that ran on some PCs but crashes with a MAV on others because they had declared an entity as a float # I believe?

If you email me your source I could pinpoint the problem for you by running in debug mode.

PartyTop(Posted 2003) [#20]
Hmmm... I do have some entities as floats, I'll change 'em back to ints.

Another thought is that it looks like I've got crashes on ATI cards, we're running nVidia here, and Fredborg has it working on an nVidia... Could this be a problem?

Shambler, email as listed on your profile?

fredborg(Posted 2003) [#21]
I think Shamblers right, my other machine is a P4-2.2Ghz with 1Gb ram, and a GeForce 4200-Ti. And it crashed on that. I tried some other Blitz stuff before that crashed on that one because of people using floats for entities. It only happens on machines with a lot of Ram.

Shambler(Posted 2003) [#22]
I doubt its an ATI specific bug, none of my wild and wacky code manages to MAV without me knowing why =)

Yes the Email is as in profile PartyTop.

PartyTop(Posted 2003) [#23]
Deep breath...

I've converted the floats to ints for all entities. Here's the latest, and perhaps it can spare you the agony and horror of my spaghetti code ;)

Let me know if it works without any MAVs

((New Link Below))

fredborg(Posted 2003) [#24]
I guess you missed one :) MAV when I should get a bonus (or something like that) sign.

eBusiness(Posted 2003) [#25]
1.4.2 worked fine for me. nV GF 3 Ti 200.

Logically, using floats for entity handles should make the game crash on some pc's:

a#=1256032
print a
waitkey()

Approximations won't do for memory handles, so if the float proces cut of a ciffer, it got to be 0 or MAV will occour.

PartyTop(Posted 2003) [#26]
With the help of the community, this thing is moving forward. Many thanks to all so far, and a little extra to Shambler for helping me pinpoint the last of the floats.

Seems like the problem was with higher-end machines and the use of floats for entity handles. My inferior 1.6GHz-P4 with 768MB RAM couldn't replicate.

Here's the latest build with the entity handles all changed back to INTs:

http://www.anarchyent.com/flipit/flipit_beta1.4.4.zip

Many thanks to all who give it a whirl...

PartyTop(Posted 2003) [#27]
Just curious...

Did anyone have problems with this latest version?

Simon S(Posted 2003) [#28]
Gah the dreaded floats! This is a problem for B2D and image handles. Some CPU's are quite happy but some die horribly. I doubt I'd have ever found it if it hadn't been for Dr Derek Doctors.

This is the sort of stuff they should put into a troubleshooting section of the manual. There are all kinds of bizarre rules about using the PC and I've learned a huge number of useful things from the forums. It would be nice to have them collected in one reference.

Oh tried the game, nice twist on an old formula. Works a treat.

Shambler(Posted 2003) [#29]
Played for 15 minutes no crashes.

I would like to suggest a couple of things,

1) Make cursor down do the same as the space bar

2) When each new block appears, make it rotate a little slower, often I miss what colour the back of the tile is.

Also there may be just 1 more bugget, or something for you to check at least.

There is a special tile that destroys all tiles of whatever colour it lands on.

If it doesn't land on a tile i.e. it lands on the bottom row where there is a gap what is your game supposed to do?

Check this since it appeared to cause an anomalous effect =)