gile[s] version 1.0 is out!

Community Forums/Showcase/gile[s] version 1.0 is out!

fredborg(Posted 2003) [#1]

gile[s] version 1.0 is now ready for download and purchase!

Click here to go to the gile[s] website, and download the demo or purchase the full version

If you have no idea about what gile[s] is, then take a look here: gile[s] beta topic or go to the site.

Here is a list of changes since version 0.99 Beta
- The registration system is done, thanks to the good Lee Page.
- When merging a scene, a lightmap selector appears so that you may create a new or choose an existing lightmap, to apply to the merged models.
- The numpad bug has been fixed.
- A lightmap viewer is in.
- User configurable lightmap layer! (Needs restart)
- User configurable lightmap blend! (Needs restart)
- Mesh lighting properties, that can override the material settings.
- Undo Paint is in! (only 10 levels of undo for this, as it takes up a bunch of memory)
- 'Render Selected' is in as well, 'Render Volume' will have to wait a bit!
- 5-10% speed increase when rendering some scenes.
- Rendering support for texture scale, position and rotation is in!
- LWO importing is now in! Hoooray, and thanks to Lee!
- A statistics window has been added, where you can inspect various things.
- A few other bugs have been ironed out.
- Ohh, and a help system :) (partially finished only)

Many enhancements and features are planned, so don't miss out on the opportunity to get gile[s] at the reduced introduction price of 33.33 Euro, if you buy before January 1st, 2004! The normal price after that will be 39.95 Euro.

Thanks, to all of you who have contributed with good critique and ideas!

gile[s] now has it's own forum, so please use that for all your questions!

http://gilesforum.proboards26.com/index.cgi

(tu) sinu(Posted 2003) [#2]
that screen looks amazingly good!

Rob(Posted 2003) [#3]
What product code?? shareit won't continue without the product code!

fredborg(Posted 2003) [#4]
It's on the screen when you start :) I'll change it so you don't need to type it into ShareIt :)

Thanks!

Rob(Posted 2003) [#5]
I am now the proud owner of giles! am I the first customer? :)

Rob(Posted 2003) [#6]
oh dear I entered the wrong product code! I entered gile[s] as the product code. Remember I didn't have this demo. I thought you'd be sending me the full version. Will you fix this for me?

I will supply the in-program key and you'll generate a key for me? How was I supposed to know what the shareit thing wanted? :)

fredborg(Posted 2003) [#7]
Sure no problem...It's just for your convenience, so you don't have to send it by mail after I receive the OK from ShareIt! First customer...Don't know yet :)

Rob(Posted 2003) [#8]
dum de dum dum dum de dum...
[hits the refresh button rapidly]
Damn shareit. I have the order number if it helps..?
[edit]: I think shareit is manual so it might be a long wait :) Tommorrow, then.

Rimmsy(Posted 2003) [#9]
dum de dum dum dum de dum... as well

Rimmsy(Posted 2003) [#10]
oh. ah well.

fredborg(Posted 2003) [#11]
Rims, you're on! Rob are you sure your credit card is valid ;) Haven't heard anything yet...

Rob(Posted 2003) [#12]
My credit card is valid. I have an official shareit authorisation number and have saved the screen after it accepted my cash. You might be joking about it but I am going to sleep on it in the hope it is just shareit and switch credit cards in the uk. According to GFK it is a manual process.

fredborg(Posted 2003) [#13]
Weird...I'll send you a mail as soon as I get a confirmation!

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#14]
Rob tryin to cheat the system again :)

Rimmsy(Posted 2003) [#15]
got it! Thanks!

Rimmsy(Posted 2003) [#16]
fantastic. A nice solid program and amazing results. Painting is a lot faster as well now. Excellent piece of software. Well worth £25.

Rob(Posted 2003) [#17]
I think it's the switch card needing to be verified. I could have easily got one tiny thing wrong on the order which means 12 to 24 hour wait :P

Be patient young padawan.

poopla(Posted 2003) [#18]
How much is this in USD?

fredborg(Posted 2003) [#19]
41.96$, you can see it in other currencies as well on Share*It.

Rob(Posted 2003) [#20]
Hi all, ShareIt have finally checked my card with the bank and everything is OK! I entered the wrong product code! *duhhh* So time for me to get lightmapping! Excellent :)

ashmantle(Posted 2003) [#21]
Don't mean to ruin your party here Fredborg, but I noticed something about your GUI... when you move around the small toolwindows (like the statistics window), the panels and stuff moves slower than the actual window.. I got this too when writing my own GUI, and found out that I assigned the OldX&Y positions to the gadgets when my window moved.. when I switched to updating with the NewX&Y values, it moved as it should, and as everything else in Windows does :)

PS! and I will be buying this when I get some money :)

fredborg(Posted 2003) [#22]
I know about the problem with the gui, but I figured it was more important to get some good features in than fixing this :) It will however be fixed, and so will the menu flickering, don't worry!

PS! Great :)

ashmantle(Posted 2003) [#23]
Yeah, its only a minor thing since it doesn't really have anything to do with the functionality of the program.. seems very stable to me aswell :) GREAT WORK!

SabataRH(Posted 2003) [#24]
Seems like a nice tool other then the fact I've ran the demo 3 times and recieved a Memory Access Violation with each attempt.. Just importing simple basic shapes from Max...

I may be interested is obtaining this soon.. I really like the easy-to-use interface controls... thanks for a cool tool.

fredborg(Posted 2003) [#25]
ooh, not good! Could you contact me on giles@... with more details?

Rob(Posted 2003) [#26]
A mini review:

Having finally had the opportunity to settle down with gile[s] for a few hours, I thought I would load the cubed demo in my signature to re-light with. WOW! The lighting when tuned, is fantastic - blows away $5,000 development environments such as maya or 3dsmax when exporting for game environments. Nothing comes close in terms of final lighting quality.

I suppose this is the true benefit of Global Illumination, and it works with stunning effect. However, one of the the issues I had with gile[s] was the slow render times. This has been largely negated by hitting F7 to render only selected! Further speed gains can be gotten by disabling Global Illumination and shadows. After you are satisfied you can enable these for the final render!

I couldn't possibly be more happy with the result. A stunning tool for blitz users.

-------

How about a lite-wireframe option as seen on this link: http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=27579 - might fix problems for other wireframe people too.

fredborg(Posted 2003) [#27]
I'm very happy you enjoy using gile[s] :) *smile from ear to ear*

Wireframe settings will be available shortly, for people with graphics cards that can't handle the way they are done now!

And to answer your previous question: You came 4th I think :)

SabataRH(Posted 2003) [#28]
Fredborg, I reset the Xform within Max and they imported fne into Gile. Hey if you can add an option to allow me to change the speed at which the camera travels inside the editor (for larger scaled scenes) I'll buy today! :) The lmapping looked stunning.

Rob(Posted 2003) [#29]
Sabata, check the prefs panel on the right for speed controls.

Rob(Posted 2003) [#30]
Fredborg, your uv mapping and packing routines are highly efficient and I would like to bring the model back into max with uvmapping intact for other purposes such as characters. Just geometry would be fine... Would you be interested in making this possible? In addition, this will broaden your target market.

SabataRH(Posted 2003) [#31]
Thanks Rob! i was to excited after seeing the lightmapping results! must of over looked that :0>>

Gorgeous app you got here Fred.

fredborg(Posted 2003) [#32]
Sabata: What Rob said + I would like to see the file that crashed gile[s], if you can send it to me, I should be able to fix the problem! Was it an ASE, B3D, or 3DS file?

Rob: Import+Export of more file formats are definetely high priorities! Until then: If you have Ultimate Unwrap, you can load the b3d file in and export to something max can read...

Rob(Posted 2003) [#33]
Thanks for the tip Fredborg - that should do fine :)

CyBeRGoth(Posted 2003) [#34]
Shazam!

Just bought it :)

I was very impressed with it, its a real godsend for people like me who create levels and environments in 3ds max and do not want to use a level editor.

One question tho, if I have to reformat, or otherwise reinstall gile[s] will i need to get a new serial code for it?

fredborg(Posted 2003) [#35]
Just bought it :)
So you did :)

Yes, if you reinstall somewhere else or change your setup, you will need a new registration code!

Updates are simply installed on top of the old installation, and does not require another registration code.

QuickSilva(Posted 2003) [#36]
I too am very pleased with my purchase, great program :)

A couple of minor things that I would like to see are the ability for gile[s] to remember its position on exit (i.e. maximised etc...) and also I think that when you are in camera mode that any selected objects should automatically be unselected as seeing bounding boxes can ruin your view of the gorgeous lighting.

Apart from that, excellent work.

Regards,
Jason.

CyBeRGoth(Posted 2003) [#37]
So if i have to reinstall it in the future i would need to re-purchase it? or perhaps email you for a new code?

A couple of suggestions from me too :)

Sometimes you want to make alterations to a scene in 3ds max, and see how it look in gile[s], as it is you have to create a new file and load in your .3ds or whatever, maybe an option to reload the .3ds that is in use? That way we could add some stuff to a level, click reload and it would simply load in the file again, with the new stuff that was added.

when picking lights or geometry how about a pick only mode (ie not move or rotate)?

MSW(Posted 2003) [#38]
Downloaded the V1.0 demo...wow really nice :D

Couple of things though...Is there a way to make a texture act as a light source? I mean the old modified version of Worlcraft (now Hammer) for Half-Life allowed you to set a flag that forced a surface to be fullbright and act as a light source during lightmap generation.

Another...how about grouping models together...say you have a model of a tower or something...you place a number of lights at its base...and want to duplicate these lights somewhere else...if you could group the lights together then duplicate the group...you could move this duplicate to the other area of the model with each light intact within the group...This would save a lot of time over duplicateing each individual light and trying to place them exactly where you need them.

One last thing...localized lightmaps...erm allow the model to be split into seperate groups, each with their own lightmaps...say you have one 256 X 256 lightmap for most of the model...except you have a seperate 256 X 256 lightmap for certain special polygons....would allow you to pack in the shadow detail in certain areas, or do things like seemingly turn on/off lights during the game (without swapping one large lightmap for another)

Rob(Posted 2003) [#39]
I like your ideas about textures as lights - that would rock a *lot*... and the idea of localised lightmaps.

One suggestion I have of my own is to allow selection filters that let you only select either geometry or lights, and/or see only geometry or lights in the object browser.

fredborg(Posted 2003) [#40]
You *CAN* use textures and materials as lightsources. Look through the 'Baby Steps' tutorial, it's all explained in there :)

Selection filtering is on the list already!

Grouping and multi-selection, as well as multi-adjust (ala the lightboy plugin for 3ds max) is planned.

Lightmaps are linked to materials NOT models in gile[s], take a look at the 'How It Works' chapter in the help (it's located in the Lighting Method folder). That should explain, how you can achieve an effect like the one you are asking for. You need to apply a special material (and give it different lightmap) to the special areas in your example.

The rest has been noted :) Thanks!

QuickSilva(Posted 2003) [#41]
Hey Rob, how about showing us a screen of your newly lighted cubed demo? You know you want to ;)

Jason.

fredborg(Posted 2003) [#42]
Yeah, how about sending it to me, so I can add it to the gallery? :)

Rob(Posted 2003) [#43]
Thats a good idea! But it now needs to be reduced in polycount etc cos previously it was vertex lit...

ashmantle(Posted 2003) [#44]
The grid is all weird on my laptop with ATI Radeon Mobile 9000 gfx. card.

It only contains lines in one direction, and is all packed together.. I can make a divx movie of it if you would like :)

fredborg(Posted 2003) [#45]
It will be fixed in the next update! Can you see the light icons and the pivot?

ashmantle(Posted 2003) [#46]
Yeah.. everything else is ok..

Im having difficulty placing new objects due to the bounding box being visible through other objects.. judging distance & such.. any chance of a toggle for this? I notice all the other lines gets obstructed.. :)

fredborg(Posted 2003) [#47]
Yeah, I dig it :) I'll see if I can squeeze in an option to let you disable it!

Rob(Posted 2003) [#48]
How about illuminated wireframe instead of bounding box? :)

fredborg(Posted 2003) [#49]
As in: The selected object has a wireframe overlay?

Rob(Posted 2003) [#50]
not bothered to be honest - my main requirements are pretty much all fufilled... it pains me to say this but I'm kind of satisfied lol :)

oh - just the lightmap wizard and bounding render :)

ChrML(Posted 2003) [#51]
Very nice prog, going to buy it very soon.
How the hell did you get the exe size to 3 megs un-UPX-ed actually??? :P

fredborg(Posted 2003) [#52]
How the hell did you get the exe size to 3 megs un-UPX-ed actually??? :P
Hey, hey, heeey, don't mess with my files :) It's Blitz, it's small, it's fast, it's GREAT!

ashmantle(Posted 2003) [#53]
A little more praise from me! :p

I really think the Gile[s] logo and website is TOP NOTCH! even the selected screenshots and the presentation of them is very well done.. it reeks of professionalism :)

Beaker(Posted 2003) [#54]
/me waits patiently for the line toggle for his crappy gfx card. :)

ChrML(Posted 2003) [#55]
You've even UPX-ed with a beta version of UPX (v1.90) :).
I won't talk more about your files.

As said before, your prog is really awesome, and ofcourse I will support both you and the prog by buying it soon.

ashmantle(Posted 2003) [#56]
Guess what? heh..

The guy who bothers you all the time has FINALLY BOUGHT IT! :D

heh.. just waiting for my key now..

Rob(Posted 2003) [#57]
Soon, Fredborg will be zooming around on one of those crazy one-wheel motorbikes.

fredborg(Posted 2003) [#58]
AshMantle: I have sent it to you :)

Rob: They won't be available until 2025 or summin :)

ashmantle(Posted 2003) [#59]
A feature request: Also make a shortcut available for switching between Camera and Object mode :)

QuickSilva(Posted 2003) [#60]
You can do this with the Space Bar already :)

I would like the ability to move objects\lights around by just clicking near them, then you could leave the current axis selection for more precise movements (Like in LightWave). Also when creating a new light in a large scene it always gets placed in the center of the scene which means scrolling all the way back to find it, how about placing it at the current cursor position?

Jason.

ashmantle(Posted 2003) [#61]
Now that was good to know :) Thanks!

Beaker(Posted 2003) [#62]
I second the "putting new light in front of camera" thing.

Caff(Posted 2003) [#63]
<- Another idiot who has cocked up with the order procedure. I didn't see any box for typing a product ID in though, and I'm normally quite careful about placing orders online...

Well, I'll just wait for the Giles sales team to swing into action at lightspeed. <twiddles thumbs>

fredborg(Posted 2003) [#64]
About the putting light in front of camera: How would you like it to work? Should it a: be placed just in front of the camera, b: be placed at the exact camera location, c: be placed where you click?

Caff: Lightspeed achieved!

Pongo(Posted 2003) [#65]
I like A and C the best,... with C being preferred.

As long as you are figuring all that out, it might be nice to be able to click the location you want the light,... and then if you hold the mouse button down you could either move the light up or down, or along the normal of the face you clicked on. Dunno,... just a thought.

QuickSilva(Posted 2003) [#66]
I kinda like A. Simple, neat and probably easier for you to implement :)

Jason.

Rob(Posted 2003) [#67]
Thats gile[s]: living life on the edge! Even conservative old ladies don't even check if it's secure! SPEND! SPEND! SPEND!

gile[s]: you know it makes sense! RISK YOUR WALLET NOW!

Beaker(Posted 2003) [#68]
I'd go for A and consider even orienting it according to the camera rotation. (controversial I bet)

ashmantle(Posted 2003) [#69]
I noticed you can scale the light-"mesh". Does this have any effect on lighting or is it just for fun? :)

fredborg(Posted 2003) [#70]
I guess it's A then...or C :)

AshMantle: If you mean the light radius, then it is used if you enable soft shadows. Look it up in the Help, I think it's explained there.

fredborg(Posted 2003) [#71]
gile[s] now has it's own forum, so please use that for all your questions!

http://gilesforum.proboards26.com/index.cgi

Rob(Posted 2003) [#72]
ewww nasty ads :) but then I am a perfectionist...

ashmantle(Posted 2003) [#73]
where is this forum then? I cannot seem to find it! (what else is new? ;) )

EDIT: Nevermind...

the code boxes used on this forum doesn't really show up all that great in Mozilla :)

SabataRH(Posted 2003) [#74]
Well i had a question and went to the forums this morning, still hadn't got a PW in my email box... So i'll post here seeing as im pressed for time - Im about to purchase but i read that texture names are being saved with full path. Is this true? if so when can we expect a fix? ... I got several maps coming off the line today and really want to lmap them today (preferably with giles)... thanks fredborg for any info.

fredborg(Posted 2003) [#75]
Sabata: It is true, and it will be fixed! I think Blitz will load the textures if they are placed in the same folder as the model, even if a full (and wrong) path is included in the b3d file.

Rimmsy(Posted 2003) [#76]
Ash, you're telling me. I have to bump the text size upto 120% to see any.

Yeah, blitz will load the textures if they're in the same folder.

Bouncer(Posted 2003) [#77]
I just need to say your program looks absolutely fantastic, and the website also. I would definitely buy it if I had any need for that kind of tool.

Just wanted to say congratulations.

Rimmsy(Posted 2003) [#78]
me too. One of the best tools (blitz or other) I've used in a long time.

Tranz(Posted 2003) [#79]
The demo has me sold, I'll be ordering this program, great job!