ScreenShots of the QoolEdit ( Terrain Editor ) v1.0

Community Forums/Showcase/ScreenShots of the QoolEdit ( Terrain Editor ) v1.0

Kozmi(Posted 2003) [#1]
Hi Guys,

I've been working hard on the terrain editor part of the
QoolEdit World Builder system, Go check out the screenshots and tell me what you think about them. I also want to get everybody's opinion of what features you would like to see implemented in this terrain editor as this world builder will be free to the blitz community once its done so everybody will be able to have a world editor for Blitz3D.

I've been thinking about implementing multi-colormaps for terrains here, But I havn't decided weather or not if I really should?!? What do you think about it???

Do you guys think I should put multi-colormaps into this terrain editor? Please give me feed back as this will help me make a better terrain editor for your needs. Thank again!

Oh yeah! Click on this link below to goto my other website here to see the screenshots of the QoolEdit ( Terrain Editor )...

QoolEdit ( Terrain Editor ) ScreenShots:

http://www.geocities.com/doc_3dgx

Jeppe Nielsen(Posted 2003) [#2]
Looks interesting.. Nice GUI :-)

Kozmi(Posted 2003) [#3]
Noticed your GUI huh?

It was one of the first ones I messed with and I kinda stuck with it up till' now! Also I want to thanks you Jeppe for the code example that you supplied in your BBGUI as it is the basis of this terrain editor that im' working on! It's really cool!

P.S. Hey Jeppe... Any chance in the near future of you releasing the source code to your RTS Tricycle racing game??? If not... That's cool, I respect that! It's just a fun & cool little game and I would love to take a look at your fine work! But like I said though... If you dont want to then... It's cool! Anyways though, Nice game of yours!!!

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#4]
Look useful so far. Get more out of Jeppes Gui :) (how about a Tahoma Font (size 13) ?)

Kozmi(Posted 2003) [#5]
Look useful so far. Get more out of Jeppes Gui :) (how about a Tahoma Font (size 13) ?)

What do you mean by "Get more out of Jeppes Gui" & also the comment "how about a Tahoma Font (size 13) ?"
Can you be a little bit more specific on this please!

Hey jfk... I am trying to use your smoothing routine from your CSP Terrain editor to help smooth my terrains but when I use this code on my terrains it flattens my terrains instantly as soon as I activate this code fragment of yours!
Any suggestios as how I might be able to modify it to work with terrains that are loaded in from a heightmap image?

Id' greatly appreciate any help you may have to offer in my favor!!

Thanks alot man!

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#6]
sounds like a float problem.

this method is very simple: take 9 pixels (3*3) and calculate the average brightness by adding all together and divide trough 9. then assing this brigness to the center pixel. then go to the next pixel (0 to 2,1 to 3,2 to 4...)

if it's an image then maybe it would look like this:
imgw=imageheight(img)-1
imgh=imagewidth(img)-1
for j=0 to imgw step 3
 for i=0 to imgh step 3
  for j2=0 to 2
   for i2=0 to 2
    bri=0
    if i>=0 and i<=imgw and j>=0 and j<=imgh
     oldrgb=rgb
     rgb=readpixel(i,j)
    else 
     rgb=oldrgb
    endif
    bri=bri+(rgb and $ff)
   next
  next
  bri=bri/9
  color bri,bri,bri
  rect i,j,2,2,1
 next
next

However, there are several methods and this one isn't the best.

BTW. I just meant I don't like those New Times Roman Fonts on Gui elements, it was just a sidenote.

Kozmi(Posted 2003) [#7]
okee dokee!

Thanks for staightening things out and I'll try your code here and hope that it will work!! Maybe if it isn't to much a problem and all and you are not so busy and such to maybe help me out a little with a little bit of this coding on some things if it's ok with you that is!!

Anyways...Thank's alot man!

Dynamo(Posted 2003) [#8]
Nice shots, when are you expecting on having a demo out?

BTW: Are you outputting the level data to a file? If so I'd like to try integrating it into an editor I'm making for my adventure game. (so I won't have to write my own terrain editor, I'm so lazy)

Kozmi(Posted 2003) [#9]
@ Dynamo

Thank's for the complement on my terrain editor! And yes the terrain editor at the stage outputs the terrain data in a heightmap file! But im' working on the file system right now where you will use a function that Im' making so you will be able to call this function in your program and it will load both the terrain & the texture for it to! Im' making the terrain editor save an extention to the end of the heightmap file name that will reflect the texture file that goes with it...So when you type:

Terrain_Load(nameofterraintex1)

Which is what the heightmap file name will be from the terrain editor... The function will get it's texture file from the heightmap file name too!

It is broken down like this ----> nameofterraintex1

The function loads this ----> nameofterrain

Then the texture file ----> tex1

You will be able to do this with the one function call so dont rename your heightmao file afterwardfs or it wont be able to load the texture file for the terrain!

I expect to have a demo ready by next week!

Dynamo(Posted 2003) [#10]
Very nice! Should be a snap to integrate then... Great work! :)

Kozmi(Posted 2003) [#11]
@ Dynamo

Thank's again... But mind you that this terrain editor is part of my up coming world builder called QoolEdit...
My world builder will also include CSG Blocks to build your world too! It's gonna' be hard work getting this together and all...But that's the fun part is making it happen you know!!! I hope you will like it, And I would appreciate any feedback from you as well as others on here about it and what you think about it too!

Thank's again!

Jeppe Nielsen(Posted 2003) [#12]
Glad you can use the example. As for releasing the source for my RTS and Tricycle games: I would say no, as I plan on getting those them published at some time.

Kozmi(Posted 2003) [#13]
@ Jeppe,

Ok... That's cool Jeppe. It never hurts to ask though!
Anyways though.. Your TriCycle Racer game is really cool.
Maybe sometime in the future if its cool with you and all,
maybe you might be able to give me some advice or help from time to time if that's ok with you!

Many thanks in advance.