Demon model

Community Forums/Showcase/Demon model

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#1]
Hey guys, i would appreciate some critique on this model. It's only screenshots tho i'm afraid :) Modelled by my modeller in cinema 4d and milkshape. Textured and unwrapped by me in ultimate unwrap and tattoo.

Jim Teeuwen(Posted 2003) [#2]
doesnt look very scary does it? :)
If I met this guy in a dark ally, I woudnt run, but just point and laugh very loudly :)

Dave(Posted 2003) [#3]
nice one ross! It dosent look scary as such (probably due to the color choice + texturing) but your modelling skills are well toned!

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#4]
Hehe, thanks dave. Thanks should go to my model making friend. You think the texture is whats letting it down?

puki(Posted 2003) [#5]
It's a good model but it is too "Cartoony" by far

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#6]
Hey ppl. Modified the skin for it. Model has 1383 polys.

[EDIT] New Skin

Bot Builder(Posted 2003) [#7]
that's better, but the shoes are a little wierd maybe feet?

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#8]
hehe, i din't reserve enough texture space for the front of the shoe/foot bit. I'll have a go at that!

Panno(Posted 2003) [#9]
iam the only who think THIS IS EVIL ?

Rob Farley(Posted 2003) [#10]
I'm not sure what look you're going for so it's either really good or total crap.

The texture needs some work, and I'm not sure about a demon in speedos... again... depending on the look you're going for.

The mouth is a bit wierd. The mouth is big but the throat is small so there seems little point of a mouth that big. Also the jaw isn't following the line of the mouth so it kinda looks like a big wobble bottom lip.

I would suggest scaling the chest to make it wider, it kinda looks a little weedy at the moment.

The pose and expression looks like he's taking a really sticky dump though that will require a 'hell' of a lot of wiping... [sorry]

Generally good though, a couple more incarnations and I think you'll have a great model.

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#11]
We're going for a scary sort of look. The model, when animated will bounce up and down, and generally go a bit crazy, that's why he's modelled in that pose. The game style is mystical, so the character isn't exactly following the realms of realisim, but thank you for your opinions. Definetly take them on board. :)

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#12]
The new skin is in my second post. Don't want ppl to wait forever for this to load :)

googlemesilly(Posted 2003) [#13]
It looked pretty scary to me actually ! lol
what could make it more scary is maybe tentacles ?
like Dr Av said, maybe the mouth is too big and
you can replace it with whiskers or tentacles ? ...
something that hangs out and is kind of scary ! ...

Perturbatio(Posted 2003) [#14]
What about this?
The blue/grey tone gives it a more dead flesh look, and allows for bloody parts to show up better.

I would definitely lose the rubber pants and kinky boots.

A featureless groin and cloven hooves would probably look much better.

Maybe make the claws thinner, and more pointy. And since they are quite large, I would probably add a little more detail to the hands as they will be a focal point (unless you only get to see it from far away).

*EDIT*
I added a slight ridge to his head as well.

Maybe a razor edged spine would also help.

puki(Posted 2003) [#15]
I prefer the second one (in a non-gay way) - the boots do spoil the effect though on 2 and 3 - although they look okay with the first one.

Rob(Posted 2003) [#16]
the rubber pants and kinky boots is even more scary. it's the love monster that dave wakes up screaming "more!" each night to.

googlemesilly(Posted 2003) [#17]
ahhhh !!! - perturbio lol - nice shadows
looks like he's sitting in some cell or something !

-=Darkheart=-(Posted 2003) [#18]
Oh wow, it's the mother-in-law!

Darkheart

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#19]
Hey, that's nice Perturbatio! Me likes. I think the cloth bit will need to stay tho. I'll see about the hooves too. I'm mainly looking to do something with the skin, as i think the model is fine as it is. Excellent suggestions again my friends :) Thank you.

lol@Rob, Dave sure does take a pounding off you :D Maybe your the love monster ;)

Perturbatio(Posted 2003) [#20]
If you're keeping the rubber pants, then you might want to consider adding a little more to it (maybe panels on the thighs), that way he doesn't look so much like he just came out of the naughty hellfire club.

*EDIT*

Just make sure it doesn't look like hotpants :)

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#21]
Panels on the thighs? How do you mean?

Red Ocktober(Posted 2003) [#22]
... yeah Ross, the neatly tied boots, and speedo trunks sorta make this guy a very neatly, if not gayish looking demon.

the first thing anyone who sees him is gonna say to themselves is... who tied his boots...

drop the speedos, put some hair around his midsection, and loose the boots and give him hoofs instead...

the original red color with just a touch more dark highlight works fine... the blue one works also, but the monotone look is carried tooo far with the same color eyes... maybe yellow eyes.

anyway, now that i've wrecked your demon guy, good luck with your modeling...

... what sorta game ya workin on?

--Mike

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#23]
Hehe, thanks mike :) This guy is just one of the enemies. We're trying to make sure everything in this game is of good quality. It's a sort of rpg, and it's a good orginal idea it's based on. Can't give away anything more tho i'm afraid. I agree with you about the blue one. I think that's what i'll go with. I think i might try shorts on him as well. I don't want to add or delete geometry, as i don't wanna unwrap him again :)

But just remember when this game comes out. Don't kill him too quick, he take a fair bit of work :)

Perturbatio(Posted 2003) [#24]
By panels, I was thinking kind of like Roman or greek armour (the lower part of the Lorica Segmentata), but maybe larger sections.

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#25]
Ok, semi dropped the speedo's :) and overhauled the texture a bit. Check it out.

Sorry Perturbatio, didn't see your post there. I know what you mean now. I don't know how that would look since it's just a texture :) I have no geometry to put the metal plate texture on.

Ross C(Posted 2003) [#26]
Or what about this skin?

Sorry for all the large images :S