Futuristic Assult Rifle

Community Forums/Showcase/Futuristic Assult Rifle

Matt2222(Posted 2003) [#1]
Here are some pictures of an Assult Rifle that I have created over the last few days....

Please tell me what you think!

Thanks,
-Matt

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#2]
Looks very good! How's the polycount?

Matt2222(Posted 2003) [#3]
The polycount is @ 1250.

c5ven(Posted 2003) [#4]
images are pretty dark and don't show well. also be nice to see a wire. good to see how tri's are distributed. 1250 somehow sounds like alot to me. esp now that i'm trying to do normal mapping for objects.

Matt2222(Posted 2003) [#5]
Here are some wireframes:
(the poly count is in triangles)

I could lower the polygon count by eliminating the center seam, but I do not know how. Is there a way to do this without losing my uv coordinates?
Is there anything else that I can improve on?

Thanks,
-Matt

Rob Farley(Posted 2003) [#6]
The view finder has loads more tris than the barrel, you could reduce that loads.

Likewise with the magazine, that could be reduced to less than half the detail you've got there and no-one would really notice.

The shoulder thingy too has too many polys as if it's in a game you're hardly ever going to see it.

ckob(Posted 2003) [#7]
I agree with Dr.Av good looks but you have high polycount in all the wrong places.

c5ven(Posted 2003) [#8]
agree with the above comments. i have no doubt you could drop it to less than 800 and probably more like 500.

for Maya there's a plug-in called "progmesh" that is supposed to reduce polycount using painted-weighting methods (allowing a modelmaker to preserve detail where needed) and preserving the UV map in the process. i'm guessing you're using Max, and i have to believe that there are utilities available to allow you to remove the center seam and preserve the map; probably just like "progmesh". or maybe it's already built-in (Maya has "move", "sew" and "move and sew" features in the Texture Map window which would probably work in this case).

you might also want to look around for tools/instructions on how NOT to create those seams in the first place. save you loads of trouble. i used to offset the half-model, mirror it and then manually join the two halfs when the old "mirror" tool didn't work properly. now there's a "Mirror/Blend" plug-in for Maya...i think.

lastly, and i've recommended this before on this forum, for excellent feedback on modeling i highly recommend CGChat. this place has its unique feedback advantages; CGChat has its advantages as well (which an increasing number of Polycounters seem to be discovering). there are many "employed" modelmakers who are regulars and also some very hard-core amateurs. i'd highly recommend your taking advantage of both forums.