3D Breakout (Pre-Alpha Release)

Community Forums/Showcase/3D Breakout (Pre-Alpha Release)

JoeRetro(Posted 2003) [#1]
As promised, here is a very early release (pre-alpha) of my first Blitz3D game, 3D Breakout!

Now before you all sigh, let me tell you that I have put a lot of work into this project and I'm quite happy with the results thus far. But, I have SO MUCH more to do.

Here's some info about the project that you may or may not be interested in.

Coding: Created by me (of course)
Graphics: Created by me (PaintShop, 3DCanvas)
Music/Sounds: Created by me (Roland JV-1080,Yamaha CS2x,Korg Electribe A & R)
Project Time: 3 months and counting

Special Thanks:
Mark Sibly (Blitz3D)
TeraBit (Pack Maker)

I'm interested to read your comments! Please feel free to post here or on my forum (http://www.webappstogo.com/forum)

Finally, here is the URL!

http://www.webappstogo.com/dlds.html?product=3DBreakoutPreAlphaRelease&pfile=3dbreakout/3dbo_prealpha.zip

sswift(Posted 2003) [#2]
Well I wanted to say that I tried this out, and I think it's really cool. Well, the demo mode at least where the computer plays. I couldn't actually get it to where I could play it. My paddle doesn't show up, and when I hit eneter I think after I die the computer paddle appears and plays. But from watching the computer paddle play I can see you did a lot of cool stuff in here. I like all the animations and different sounds.

Perturbatio(Posted 2003) [#3]
The bat was missing for me too (I couldn't see a computer paddle at all), meaning the most common sounds I heard were laughter and the game over sound.

GfK(Posted 2003) [#4]
I could see the bat, but I found the whole thing somewhat dizzying....

JoeRetro(Posted 2003) [#5]
@sswift
@Perturbatio

Press the space bar to toggle between the computer/player to play the game.

The paddle may have been a dark color from start-up. You'll notice that when you start the game each time the paddle changes color, so does the playing field and music tracks.

@GfK
Well, I can imagine when the playing field swings back and forth 45 degrees that can have an effect on some players.

The whole idea behind my version is to distract the player from paddling the ball back in play. I still have some more ideas I may put forth. Please let me know your considerations or ideas if you have any. There is no such thing as a BAD idea.

All comments are welcome!!

Thanks,

Bouncer(Posted 2003) [#6]
The game looks pretty wicked! I just couldn't play... I did press space , but the bat didn't move when moving mouse. Should the game be controlled with mouse anyway? :)

Perturbatio(Posted 2003) [#7]

The game looks pretty wicked! I just couldn't play... I did press space , but the bat didn't move when moving mouse

Same here. I tried running through the keys as well, but couldn't find any that make it work.

The paddle may have been a dark color from start-up.

The paddle simply wasn't there from startup.
when pressing space I can toggle between the computer controlled bat and my stationary non-responsive bat.

JoeRetro(Posted 2003) [#8]
@Bouncer
@Perturbatio

Very strange! Could you please send me info on your system setup (os version,ram,3dcard,cpu speed).

Do you guys have a joystick attached to your system? If so, try using it. Let me know how that works.

Thanks,

Bouncer(Posted 2003) [#9]
I have AMD Athlon 1800xp , 256mb RAM, Radeon 9600pro, WinXP , Logitech mouse (optical) in PS2 connector.

You must have some bug in your code. Should the game be played using mouse?

And I don't have joystick or pad attached.

fredborg(Posted 2003) [#10]
I can't see the bat either! Win2000, P3-733MHz, Geforce2 32Mb, 256Mb ram.

JoeRetro(Posted 2003) [#11]
Bouncer, you are correct. There was a bug in my mouse handler. It is fixed. Please download and try it out again.

http://www.webappstogo.com/dlds.html?product=3DBreakoutPreAlphaRelease&pfile=3dbreakout/3dbo_prealpha.zip

Thanks,

Bouncer(Posted 2003) [#12]
LEVEL 8 SCORE 87300
I'm da man!

It's working great now... and it's the craziest and most funniest pong i've ever seen. Good job.

Make more tilesets / bonuses / levels and it will rule.

JoeRetro(Posted 2003) [#13]
Awesome!!

I plan to add many more resources and surprises. Thanks for playing and the helpful comments!

Apollonius(Posted 2003) [#14]
I played, its cool but I keep dieing when the game rotates its hard lol

eBusiness(Posted 2003) [#15]
Think your server is down, dam it, sounds like a funny game.

JoeRetro(Posted 2003) [#16]
Just checked the server and it is up for all those who would like to download.

Thanks,