I try again with my GUI. Rebuilt the graphics!

Community Forums/Showcase/I try again with my GUI. Rebuilt the graphics!

ChrML(Posted 2003) [#1]
Ok, my first attempt on making a nicelooking GUI failed. I posted a post here earlier about it. Now I've rebuilt the graphics, and decided to make it look like Windows XP. Here is the newest creation. Uses NO external pictures:

Please tell me what you think! Not finished though.

ChrML(Posted 2003) [#2]
PS: Have got all hovering effects, and similar to work.

Perturbatio(Posted 2003) [#3]
It looks fine (I should point out though that my personal opinion of the XP controls is that they look like something you can buy at fisher price stores).

Rob(Posted 2003) [#4]
Yeah xp looks like a teething ring. But nice gui!

Barnabius(Posted 2003) [#5]
Great work hyperblitzer. I know there are more colourfull GUI's out there but there are times when the program should not stick out. With your GUI that is quite possible. I am looking forward to a finished version or a demo.

Barney

GfK(Posted 2003) [#6]
Looks good in an XP environment.

It would look very odd indeed in Win9x/ME/2K.

Paradox7(Posted 2003) [#7]
using no external pictures.. very nice indeed.

ChrML(Posted 2003) [#8]
Thanks for all response :)! I'm working on filemenues, listboxes, and memoes now.

ChrML(Posted 2003) [#9]
Anyone want a demo version compiled to show what the GUI currently can do?

Barnabius(Posted 2003) [#10]
Yup. I'd be happy to test it for you. Addy is in the profile.

Barney

ChrML(Posted 2003) [#11]
Preparing and compiling now :)! Thanks for your interest :D!

ChrML(Posted 2003) [#12]
Ok, here's the example:
http://www.thps3cu.com/GUI.zip

Known issues:
- "Owner of last click"- method is not finished yet, and therefore when you hold the mousebutton down, and drag it over elements, then they will act weird!

-The framerate may not be the same all times, because I haven't "optimized" the project yet, and I haven't made some sort of "intelligent what-to-draw" thing yet (I got 50-60 fps on my old 700 mhz, geforce2 mx 400 64 mb computer).

-Buttons registers the click when the mousebutton is down, and not when released.

These issues aren't really hard to fix, but they are just not fixed yet, due to more important stuff. Please tell me what you think "so far" (not finished).

SabataRH(Posted 2003) [#13]
Well if you can get the needed features in this - you could have the best looking/working Gui system for Blitz3d.. Nice work.

ChrML(Posted 2003) [#14]
Ok, here's the listbox:

The selecting function isn't ready yet, but the rest is done.

ChrML(Posted 2003) [#15]
I need some assistance. I could think of having a deal on this GUI when finished:

This GUI is free for everyone to try in test projects, but for use any commercial project, and freeware ones that are going to be "released", have to pay for it.

Would that sound like a good deal (when finished though)?

Ricky Smith(Posted 2003) [#16]
If you plan to go commercial then the best advise I can give you is to check out the current GUI's available for Blitz and see what features they have and how they are distributed.
I can think of 2 excellent GUI's currently available for Blitz3d - XLnt2 and BlitzUI. Xlnt2 is shareware - i think its $15 to register(well worth it) - BlitzUI is freeware (even more well worth it !)- the author only requires that you give credit when used.
I use BlitzUI for my current project and its tremendous. You also get the source so you can make your own modifications.
I find it admirable that people can be so generous and give away for free what must represent hundreds of hours work !
If I ever got any financial reward from a project using BlitzUI or any other GUI then I would make sure that the author got more than just credit.

This is the problem - BlitzUI is very good and its free - I would only pay for another GUI if it had features that were impossible to achieve with my current system.

So you need to make BlitzUI your baseline - it must have more features to make people pay for it - and Xlnt2 as your comparative level - if you go beyond the feature-set of Xlnt2 then so much the better.

ChrML(Posted 2003) [#17]
I see. I will give my GUI all standard windows controls (buttons, checkboxes, radiobuttons, filemenues, menues, forms, pictures, renderports, memoes, inputs etc...). I'm finished with a lot already. I'm going to make it possible to switch between Windows XP design, old gray windows, and a custom nicelooking GUI, and several preprogrammed mousecursors. Does that sound like something worth money?

ChrML(Posted 2003) [#18]
Btw, I don't have much job left till I've beaten BlitzUI :D.

Nebula(Posted 2003) [#19]
If you make a multiline rtf textbox window your gui would be hard to beat :)

ChrML(Posted 2003) [#20]
Lol :P!
I looked at the features of BlitzUI, and my objects are working better than the objects in that GUI, so after I've made the input, and "maybe" the multiline memo, then I've beaten it.

ChrML(Posted 2003) [#21]

Please tell me how the input field looks. It works kinda perfect, and the input cursor is blinking as in windows. The menu at right side is the halffinished windows xp popup menu.

Just ignore those OLC texts, they are just for debugging the Owner of the Last Click function I have.

ChrML(Posted 2003) [#22]
Would be nice if someone told me how it looks, if I should change anything, etc...?

Nebula(Posted 2003) [#23]
The graphics look nice. I am more interested in the way the gui operates and how easy it is to set up. Also if it is very close to functioning like the real windows gui.

ChrML(Posted 2003) [#24]
It is very easy to set up, and acts almost exactly as windows does. ;D

Barnabius(Posted 2003) [#25]
I don't think you should change anything regarding the looks. I really like the graphics setup.

Barney

ChrML(Posted 2003) [#26]
Two days more work, and the first version of this GUI is finished, and ready to be sold (ofcourse when you buy the first version, then you get free updates, and upgrades when newer versions comes). Going to compile some demo projects to show what the GUI can do, and a demo library file, where you only have ability to create buttons, forms, and labels.

Btw, it supports gauges too now.

ChrML(Posted 2003) [#27]
Just to document how fast my GUI is:
On my AMD 700 mhz, GeForce 2 MX-400 comp, I got 210 fps when using Flip False (which means that it doesn't wait for the windows update timer (which on my comp is 75), but it does all calculations and drawings as fast as possible).

CyberPackRat(Posted 2003) [#28]
Does you GUI create its windows as images and then displays them in them appropriate order ? Or does it make them on the fly ? Does that make any sense ?

I have always loathed creating a GUI from scratch, but once I got started, it was actually quite enlightning and fun.
Even simple apps benefit from such a interface. I am currently rewritting a small app for someone here because I realized in it's current form it was very cumbersome. A lot of 'hotkeys'. >8^Q

Not that it matters much, but MINE is not meant as competetion to anyone elses. I just felt I needed to polish up my current app before giving it away (sorry for taken so long 'SpeccyPearDude'). Plus, I really needed to start working on a system for later projects (and old ones on the back burner)

ATM all my windows are fixed but each one can be brought to the front and made active. I am off for 4 days so I think I'll implement dragging individual windows today.

Nice work BTW. My only suggestion is allowing your potential user base the ability to change the graphical appearance of buttons and such as well as the colors.

Oh, in case you havn't thought about it yet, when used appropiately ViewPort is your best friend.

Once more, very nice.

With that, I better just shut my yap. Rambled long e'nuff!

ChrML(Posted 2003) [#29]
It generates the windows, buttons, etc... on the fly. It depends on which position, size, and settings you have set them to.

CyberPackRat(Posted 2003) [#30]
I tried something like that, but it proved to be too slow once things got 'intense'. That is the slow down was apparant.

At the moment, mine are initially all generated on the fly the first time a particular window is created. It is then stored in an imagebuffer.

Every loop all the "windows" are drawn at the appropiate depths.

The only time a window is regenerated is if that window needs it. i.e. gadget(s) status change,windowtofront, etc..

Maybe I missed something, is this in Blitz3D or Blitz+ ?

If everything is on the fly with little to no slow down then I am impressed more than I was before.

Good luck with your GUI !

ChrML(Posted 2003) [#31]
It's in Blitz3D. It does generate everything on the fly, but it's the way you do it which makes the speed. Like the titlebars has the left side stored in an imagebuffer, right side in an image buffer, and the middle part is a picture on 1x21 pixels which are drawn after eachother. The form itself, with it's buttons, and most other objects are generated on the fly, and gives me 211 frames pr second with lots of objects on my old 700 mhz.

CyberPackRat(Posted 2003) [#32]
Even then it seems like a lot, but I suppose it isn't really if one thinks about blitting from a game stand point.

Thanks. Hope to see the finished product soon.

ChrML(Posted 2003) [#33]
Thanks for your interest :D!
This project will be finished, tested, and documentation written within a week I think.

ChrML(Posted 2003) [#34]
I just have to show you the awesome mousepointer with dynamically generated shadow I created:

ChrML(Posted 2003) [#35]
I've also made a mode for the old windows style:

ChrML(Posted 2003) [#36]
The rightclick-menu almost fully functional.
I haven't started working on the submenu-function yet:

Please tell me how it looks, and if it beats the other GUI systems here. You can set an invisible rectangle area of the screen, or the are of a form where the popup-menu appears when you rightclick.

Binary_Moon(Posted 2003) [#37]
and if it beats the other GUI systems here

we can't tell you that until we have tried it.

Personally I am quite happy with xlnt and, unless Fredborg releases the gui code used in gile[s], I won't be changing any time soon.

I think you need to think about the sort of apps people using blitz are likely to make, and then think of features that they would require. For instance xLnt has 3d gadgets so you can render cameras - excellent for 3d editors. At the moment all you have shown are things which are not much use in a game environment, people might as well just use Blitz+ or one of the free guis out there (blitz ui)

Just my opinion - no one can really say anything until they see it working

Nebula(Posted 2003) [#38]
I am working on Submenu's atm, I have not gotten it to work. Maybe I am using to few variables(trying to keep it simple)

To bad you are asking money for your gui. I rather make my own gui then pay for it. My gui source will be free to use for blitzers.

My gui has 100% Windows behaviour atm :)

ChrML(Posted 2003) [#39]
Ok, I'll make a little 3D editor then, cuz it supports 3D Viewports inside the windows.

Btw, my GUI behaves exactly as windows, even the scrollbars :D.