Have a look : Counterbalance

Community Forums/Showcase/Have a look : Counterbalance

Jimbob(Posted 2003) [#1]

A screenshot on what I'm working on. My first full game in Blitz+ with help from a few friends on graphics. The game is a bit like the arcade game Super Collapse but with the added task of having to balance the two scales, and also the addition of 10 special blocks. There will also be a 2-player mode (the concept kind of screams out for one).

One thing Id ask for, is can you give suggestions for a scoring system for when you destroy combos of blocks? I'm trying to think of a good system so it doesnt get too imbalanced if you get a combo of 20 than 3.

Comments or other suggestions also welcome...

Imphenzia(Posted 2003) [#2]
I did combos in "Netris" (I know there is another game by that name too). I created my combos in a way that if blocks were removed less than 2 seconds before another set of blocks were removed, the points scored for the second lot was doubled. If another set was removed within 2 seconds again, that lot was quad-valued if I remember it correctly.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2003) [#3]
Looks nice! (but shareit will not distribue it (talking about their "blocks are copyright by some guy" problem, see that tetris copyright discussion))

JoeRetro(Posted 2003) [#4]
There are plenty of other ways to sell your software. Such as http://www.esellerate.net/

Imphenzia(Posted 2003) [#5]
I read somewhere that a game idea can't really be copyrighted and clones can be made, especially if the graphics is different. This game may build on the removal of blocks, but so does mahjong =)

skn3(Posted 2003) [#6]
Great game, it plays well too :D

Wasn't that shareit crap about "falling blocks" ?

these are rising blocks ;)

Scoring system, what about a multiplier of the score for each block over say 4 blocks...

So you get a group of 8 and it goes
"Combo 1, 2 ,3 ,4, 5 ,6 ,7 ,8 Woooooowwwww eeeee"

or something lol.

gosse(Posted 2003) [#7]
Wow, this looks sweet. Let us play already :P

Neo Genesis10(Posted 2003) [#8]
Ooo... cranial excercise. Havent played a puzzle game (besides my own for testing purposes) in ages. I think the last one I played was called Brainstorm in which you had to bring various blocks together, each moving in a different direction.

How close is counter-balance to completion? :)

Jimbob(Posted 2003) [#9]
Cheers for the comments, the engine is completely finished for 1-player bar the scoring system and the level system. The next part is putting it all together with a 2-player version instead (i'm sure skn will help me out there) then sticking menus to it and such and such.

This game will be freeware and so won't need any distribution :). Any more combo ideas or even ideas for special blocks? I'm thinking (for the combo) of having 1 for each block then and extra 1 for the 4th, 2 for the 5th, 3 for the 6th etc. Or something similar. Whaddya reckon?